+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

RBW Member laszlomocsari is on a distinguished road laszlomocsari is on a distinguished road laszlomocsari's Avatar
    Megalodon 15

Vision Insp/Evo, home built

Re: Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    Hi Laszlo, good to hear you again!

the bigger difference between good and bad sorb is when you test them to more severe conditions: in the breathing machine testing according to CE standards, we do the test at 5 bar (40m), (anesthesia machine = 1 bar), at 4°C in water (anesthesia machine??) and at 1.6l/m STPD

these 3 factors show the huge difference between medical sorb and diving grade sord

warm regards, and see you at DEMA!

Paul
    Hello Paul!

Thank you, it is also good to hear you. I have followed your brilliant comments on the various topics of this list.
    I agree 100% of what you said! When I started diving with CCR, here in Brazil there was no high performance absorbent available for sale. For a long time I dove with medical absorbent, but I've always been afraid to use, despite dive in warm water (24 - 29o C). As I don't have a lab of test, and I had on my hand the anesthesia machine, I did a comparative test between 5 absorbers to get a sense of which have greater absorptive capacity, despite knowing the test conditions for CE approval.
    A few years ago, I came in contact with CEO of Atrasorb, a Brazilian manufacturer, they use a Dräger technology to make their absorbent, and spoke about my need for a high performance absorbent. I showed him this my test in which it was medium absorbing. He was disappointed and decided to improve his product. In 2009 he produced an absorber of high performance that he called Atrasorb Rebreather, it had a size of grain 4 mm. He had an absorptive capacity about 30% greater. The improvement was made to use the best quality raw material (lime). Together with other colleagues suggest that it would reduce the size of grain. He made one with 3.5 and one with 2.5 mm. The last one added an improvement of over 20%, it has high quality comparable to Sofnolime 797. I think even better because of the larger granules of Atrasorb provides lower WOB. I know that you have tested this absorbent. At the moment Atrasorb is undergoing certification by the CE. It seems to me that it is with QinetiQ, UK.

Best Regards,

László

Classic KISS Pilot Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Question Re: Sorb Test Results <---------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Rickoz  View Original Post
    Hi Paul is there or have you a Link to your Test results of the various Brand/Type of Sorbs Tested.
    It would be good to see the test results & help those that were thinking of taken those chances using other Kitty Litter out there, thanks
    Paul - BUMP

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

I had some communication from Grace in Australia basically saying the normal Sodasorb isn't quite the same as the HP, and pribably best not to use it.

I do think it has been sold for diving in the US though quite a bit. I think I'd only use it in the pool. HP grade however is OK, and widely used if not up to the performance of Sofnolime, it's still useable with sensible limits.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Sorb Test Results <---------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Rickoz  View Original Post
    Paul - BUMP
    no, no link: because fools would start using litter that has 30% of the efficiency, thinking 'I can cope with it anyway in warm water, gentle conditions ....'
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Medical grade Sodasorb 4-8

I think there is some merit in describing the performance of the various actual dive designated sorbs - the ones I am aware or have used of are Sofnolime 797, CD ( and what I presume are their commercial/ military versions D and L(?)). Drager Divesorb ( no longer available) and Divesorb Pro, Sodasorb HP ( I have only used the 408) and the Intersorb / Divelime.

Performance of these I think will vary, both by grain size and quality, but they are designated for rebreather use.

I think Paul is quite rightly trying to put to bed any suggestion to use anything other than those above (without endorsing them all) , including specific medical sorb, but also less specific stuff as well, that isn't fully described as diving grade.

I think rebreather divers would benefit from more information on the relative performance of the various Diving Sorbs, if only to deflect them from trying out the other low cost stuff available.

Dave

RBW Member jvos is on a distinguished road jvos is on a distinguished road jvos's Avatar
    Apeks Meg

BMR500 IDA

Had a big co2 hit on sodasorb 4-8 HP this weekend. Just dropping, not working, breathing easily. Plan was for 365, hit 320' and wham, loop got hot, instant out of control breathing. Started flushing and ascending, things finally cleared up around 200'. This was a new bucket, made in 2015. I've used this to around 250' with no indication of problems. Previous deeper dive to 350 were with intersorb or sofnolime, worked fine. I am switching back. This was in a meg axial.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by jvos  View Original Post
    Had a big co2 hit on sodasorb 4-8 HP this weekend. Just dropping, not working, breathing easily. Plan was for 365, hit 320' and wham, loop got hot, instant out of control breathing. Started flushing and ascending, things finally cleared up around 200'. This was a new bucket, made in 2015. I've used this to around 250' with no indication of problems. Previous deeper dive to 350 were with intersorb or sofnolime, worked fine. I am switching back. This was in a meg axial.
    The factory recommendation is for sofnolime 8-12 grade.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

I have used Sodasorb 4-8 HP grade without any problems down to 100m (330ft) I have also used Sodasorb 6-12 HP grade to 150m (500ft) With sodasorb we sieved the lime before packing to remove the dust (used a cake flour sieve). I also only used this for 2/3rds of the time I would use Sofnolime 797. Proper packing and time management and especially fresh sorb on deeper dives is important. I have also used Draeger Dive Sorb which is another course grain to 167m (550ft) without issues. Sofnolime CD grade I used also but only to 45m (150ft).

I have not used any other type of sorb to date.