+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Wes Skiles wrongful death suit

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

Re: Wes Skiles wrongful death suit

Ok. You right. I should have(and meant) to write "on many instances certs are given out and not earned". No offense intended, but been around diving long enough to know how it works.

Very respectfully

Roland Somodi

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Wizard of War...
    Very Respectfully

Roland Somodi

sent from my Commodore 64 using Wizard of War....

RBW Member MadUKDiver is on a distinguished road MadUKDiver is on a distinguished road MadUKDiver's Avatar
    AP Evolution

Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem...

"Experience is something you generally acquire immediately after you need it" - Woody Allen

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic  View Original Post
    I expect a great many divers and instructors will take offence at this remark.
    I had one in my class, completely incompetent in the water... and the instructor is EXTREMELY well known. There is absolutely no way I would have put my name on his card, he had ZERO practical skills- was uber book smart thought

Proves forums like this are NO substitute for proper training... and training... and training (you get the hint)

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    I had one in my class, completely incompetent in the water... and the instructor is EXTREMELY well known. There is absolutely no way I would have put my name on his card, he had ZERO practical skills- was uber book smart thought

Proves forums like this are NO substitute for proper training... and training... and training (you get the hint)
    How about practice, practice, practice? With peers and a mentor? I am not against training, but I am weary of the "put another dollar in" mentality of the scuba culture.

My experience in diving, mountain climbing, bike racing and anything I have ever had to work at has been that all the training in the world was only a precursor to really learning by doing and that every time I have spent time doing an activity with those who are much better than me, I improved greatly.

Peter

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

"every time I have spent time doing an activity with those who are much better than me, I improved greatly."
    Peter[/QUOTE] That is undeniably true but it's hard to learn technique from others with 5 ft vis on a busted up wreck in choppy seas. That's where the training comes in.
    Last edited by tcascione; 18th May 2016 at 03:50. Reason: hit the wrong button too son

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    How about practice, practice, practice? With peers and a mentor? I am not against training, but I am weary of the "put another dollar in" mentality of the scuba culture.

My experience in diving, mountain climbing, bike racing and anything I have ever had to work at has been that all the training in the world was only a precursor to really learning by doing and that every time I have spent time doing an activity with those who are much better than me, I improved greatly.

Peter
    Some of us call "practice" training... especially if it's for your job. Just sayin'...

To quote Marcinko:
    “The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat.”

RBW Member oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya's Avatar
    Meg Apecs

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic  View Original Post
    I expect a great many divers and instructors will take offence at this remark.
    I expect anyone who has worked as an instructor or divemaster at any level would agree with that statement in a heartbeat.

I have personally taken it upon myself to get instructors fired from shops where I've worked and quit others because of this very problem.

I have also been in the water with divers I swore I'd never dive with again who (as noted above) had been certified, against all sense or logic, by veritable rockstars.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post

Peter

What he said

Training gives you the tool box, the rest is up to the individual

I have over the years seen people do course after course and never consolidate the skills lernt.

ATB

Mark

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.garry  View Original Post
    So you are advocating buying a CCR and then go diving with no or little instruction?

It seems to me that you are one that is okay with getting their CCR education/training off the internet or from your dive buddies.
    I am a believer in good diver education and training, without it you might become another statistic or simply another"internet diver".

I understand you have been diving a long time and have loads of experience, but so did Wes Skiles!
    Sure why not? Its my life

I owned and dived a KISS, rEvo, Hammer Head Inspo with no training and I dive deep trimix on my JJ with a Air cert.

so what?

Its something that comes easily to me. I dont expect every one to be the same but I equaly dont expect them to restrict what i do just because they cant

ATB
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 18th May 2016 at 18:06.

MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    What he said

Training gives you the tool box, the rest is up to the individual

I have over the years seen people do course after course and never consolidate the skills lernt.

ATB

Mark
    I think there is some confusion here on terminology; "Training" and "practice" or "instruction" should not be viewed as the same thing. The military doesn't "practice", they "train"... and are damn proficient at it. Get the point?

Practice is what a football club does... just my 2-cents worth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast