+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DCS Incident Aggravated by Shoulder Injury

RBW Member izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze's Avatar
    JJ

Re: DCS Incident Aggravated by Shoulder Injury

To me, two hours of surface interval is way short for a dive series with even moderate decompression. I might be convinced to do your second dive in good conditions with a four hour surface intervall. Even with runtimes at the 60-70 minute mark I never go in with less than 180 mins at rest on the surface. Repetetive diving increases the risks substantially.

RebreatherWorld Sponsor rossh is just really nice rossh is just really nice rossh is just really nice rossh is just really nice rossh is just really nice rossh is just really nice rossh is just really nice rossh is just really nice rossh is just really nice rossh is just really nice rossh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PBungelis  View Original Post
    The Injury
    ----------
    Between the dives, rather shortly after the first dive I was tidying up the deck of the boat, arranging bottles. In moving a 12l (aluminum 80) bailout bottle I somehow injured my shoulder. I'm not a kinesiologist so I can't adequately explain what I did, but something when pop in my shoulder while moving a bottle. It didn't hurt too bad, but wasn't comfortable and I thought to myself "I'd better be more careful slinging these heavy stages around". I didn't really notice it again until shortly before the second dive when I though it a bit sore, but nothing extreme. Maybe a pain level of 1.5 out of 10.

Hi, Thanks for sharing your detailed story report.

I'm going to make a suggestion about the (what I think) obvious connection to DCS. No doubt I'll get in trouble again for speaking up.

Looking at this from a logical decompression perspective, the mechanism would seem to be obvious. A new strain injury on the surface / in the boat, is undergoing the bodies normal repair response - inflammation. There are many documents on strain injuries: https://www.google.com/search?q=bodi...njury+response.

The diver then submerges the new strain injury, the tissues and injury site are filled with compressed dissolved gas (as normal). Then during the ascent, the injury and tissues is expected to shed its dissolved gas (as usual). But the bodies strain injury response and repair activity at this new injury site is the opposite - it wants to swell up and retain fluids. The injury site will likely hold more dissolved gas than usual, and likely wants to keep retaining it. However, the ascent continues and the extra dissolved gas at the injury site expands into bubbles, and adds further distress to the injury site. Just like magic - one localized DCS injury is created.

We took a new shoulder strain injury with inflammation, and inserted dissolved inert gas into the injury site which later expanded to bubbles in ascent. A small fresh shoulder injury was promoted it to a DCS injury though abnormal retention of gas due to the strains inflammation processes.

A physical strain injury can be common in diving. We have heavy pieces of dive kit and rolling boats, bad footwear, no lifting equipment, and individuals with less than perfect physique's. Our twin tanks are over twice the recommended lifting weight. All of our equipment is awkward to carry or move and most without handles. It tears at your wrists and arms, and is lifted with poor technique. Our bodies and muscles are often cold and unprepared for weight lifting exercises.

Think how often you hear of a report of an isolated single point injury to a limb, occurring after a dive that was well within the margins of decompression limits. How many of these started out as small strains before the dive? Why don't we see shoulder / elbow / wrist injuries occurring in matched pairs?

Just an observation guys.
    Ross Hemingway
    ------------------------------------------

V-Planner PC, Mac, Mobile, iPhone-iPod, Android. MultiDeco Android, PC, Mac.
    V-Planner Live and MultiDeco-X1 for the Liquivision X1 dive computer.
    MultiDeco-DR5 for the DR-5 dive computer.

On the fence hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound's Avatar
    KISS / Meg

Sadly I wish there was some assured means to secure treatment. Your experience was better than mine when it came to the hospital. Odds are you will sit in the emergency room for hours and hours despite calling DAN. Perhaps awareness and knowledge are better in areas like cave country or Cayman.

I imagine if you have very severe neurological symptoms someone that might have a clue will get yanked out of bed or called from the golf course; otherwise good luck.

I do all my deep diving with a Hyperlite portable chamber on hand these days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2