+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A year has passed since I started diving my GEM Rebreather

Newby Rebreather Diver gemdiver is an unknown quantity at this point gemdiver's Avatar
    Kiss Gem

A year has passed since I started diving my GEM Rebreather

It has been a year since I started diving my GEM rebreather. All in all it has been a positive experience. I wrote this review on my website The Kiss GEM Rebreather — The Undiscovered Voyage

If you are interested to hear my point of view or are thinking about getting a GEM rebreather this is an interesting article to read.

Cheers

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Re: A year has passed since I started diving my GEM Rebreather

Very nice write-up. Glad to hear you are enjoying your GEM.

Doug

Newby Rebreather Diver gemdiver is an unknown quantity at this point gemdiver's Avatar
    Kiss Gem

Quote Originally Posted by debersole  View Original Post
    Very nice write-up. Glad to hear you are enjoying your GEM.

Doug
    Thanks Doug.

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Well written. Glad to hear your enjoying your RB. I enjoy reading and hearing from others their points of views and their experiences with their rebreathers.

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

A year has passed since I started diving my GEM Rebreather

Hello gemdiver,

Your final conclusion is "In my opinion if you thinking about doing technical dives with deco or would like to go deeper than recreational limits this system is not for you."

I am curious what issues you have found with the GEM that cause you to form that opinion?

Thank you,

Kiss Gem

sevenrider860 I have been a technical diver for a long time. I just switched to a rebreather about a year ago. Redundancy is the first thing you need to think about when doing serious deco as gear fails.

The GEM has only one O2 sensor. I have had one fail on me during a dive. Yes you have a bail out but still my little experience with a rebreather it looks like a big issue.

The gas injection is done with a normal second stage reg. If it would fail it would continuously inject gas into the loop. The only way to remedy this is by switching off your back tank and your main bailout. Again with recreational diving this is not an ideal situation, but with deco you now need to account for this issue and coming to the surface might not be a possibility.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

That's why like with any other rebreather you carry a bail out bottle. Mel Clark taught me in my gem mod 1 course to carry a bailout bottle. It's a good thing to do. The gem can be used for tec diving, and there is a very avid group using them for that. I originally was planning the same but switched to ameg for my Tec dives. I do have a gem sidekick for a bailout rebreather.

gemdiver,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate you listing the limitations and concerns you have found in your use of the GEM.

I am waiting on the delivery of my GEM. My training/experience/certification with the GEM was in a sidemount configuration and that will be my intended use. My bailout is not the same cylinder as the one connected to the GEM second stage. The GEM second stage will be connected using a quick disconnect (for gas switch), so a free flowing second stage can be removed from the gas supply or the entire gas supply can be shutdown if required.

I admit I was initially concerned about a single O2 sensor. I am less concerned after using the system. This is not a fully closed system, so as long as you have 1/3 of the gas being discharged and added to the loop during each breathing cycle the O2 percentage should be tracking with the depth as expected. If that changes, bailout.

These are my thoughts based on my limited experience. They almost certainly will adjust as I build up the amount of time and experience you have with the system.

I think the GEM should work well in a technical / mixed gas diving environment. Time will tell.

Again, thank you for your write-up and providing your views. I do appreciate it.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

The sensor is largely provided to monitor the system, as your PPO is controlled by depth and gas. A Gem will run fine without a sensor.

Kiss Gem

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    The sensor is largely provided to monitor the system, as your PPO is controlled by depth and gas. A Gem will run fine without a sensor.
    You are right about that. But without monitoring your computer can't give you an accurate deco profile. You won't know when your breathing gas is becoming hypoxic.

Even if you only use the O2 cell to monitor your PO2 and you set your computer to what your average drop in % in your breathing loop is compared to your tank, this is an average and not exact enough to do real deco diving.

Not having the redundancy with only one O2 cell increases the risk to a level that I would not be comfortable with. A rebreather is a tool, just like a hammer. But you would not use a hammer with a screw. In my opinion the GEM is a great recreational rebreather. If you would like to do full blown deco why not buy a rebreather that was designed to do this work.

This is my 5 cents worth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast