+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ear clearing and rebreather mouthpieces

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

ear clearing and rebreather mouthpieces

I have always been a bit slow to clear my ears, but I have noticed that since switching to a rebreather, my problems with ear clearing have increased.

I suspect that the problem is the thickness of the bite pads/mouth piece which causes me to keep my mouth more open then my OC reg (Zeagle which has thin bite tabs.)

Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon? Are the bite tabs on any of the replacement mouth pieces (rebreather suitable) thinner?

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: ear clearing and rebreather mouthpieces

On another note are you clearing your ears after the dive every 15 or 20 mins after the dive for an hour or so?

Best regards,
    Chett. L

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by bowzer  View Original Post
    I have always been a bit slow to clear my ears, but I have noticed that since switching to a rebreather, my problems with ear clearing have increased.

I suspect that the problem is the thickness of the bite pads/mouth piece which causes me to keep my mouth more open then my OC reg (Zeagle which has thin bite tabs.)

Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon? Are the bite tabs on any of the replacement mouth pieces (rebreather suitable) thinner?
    Have you thought to change the mouth piece?...Just make sure its rated for your CCR, some are not!

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    On another note are you clearing your ears after the dive every 15 or 20 mins after the dive for an hour or so?

Best regards,
    Thats one I haven't tried. Any particular reason or method? I do clear on the surface just before descent.

Have you thought to change the mouth piece?...Just make sure its rated for your CCR, some are not!
    I am thinking along that line. I believe that Seacure has a large bore unit available now - Model 3?. Do you have any experience with it?

RBW Member Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester's Avatar
    rEvo III Magnum

Not only the bore, but also the distance the mouthpiece hold your teeth apart as well. I know the dreager mouthpiece is uncomfortable, but it has the best WOB. Dont reinvent the wheel, stick with the dreager. The gag strap provides great comfort on long scooter dives, and enhanced safety.

RBW Member Kim Mikusch is a jewel in the rough Kim Mikusch is a jewel in the rough Kim Mikusch is a jewel in the rough Kim Mikusch is a jewel in the rough Kim Mikusch is a jewel in the rough Kim Mikusch is a jewel in the rough Kim Mikusch is a jewel in the rough Kim Mikusch is a jewel in the rough Kim Mikusch's Avatar

Hi there,

I found it interesting that you brought this up. I've experience the same thing myself, but never heard anyone else mention it.

i think the difference is that on a rebreather we are taught to grip the rubber mouth bite securely so that no water enters the loop; pretty important. this (on me anyway) uses tenses up the muscles in the area and makes it harder to equalize. if i switch to OC and just have that reg loose in my mouth, no problem.

if this is your situation, maybe the key is noticing it is happening and forcing yourself to relax. that's what i try and do..and make sure my BOV is properly neutral in the water.

not sure if all that makes sense from a medical point of view? but i tested out that theory and it seemed to be the situation in my case.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by bowzer  View Original Post
    Thats one I haven't tried. Any particular reason or method? I do clear on the surface just before descent.

I am thinking along that line. I believe that Seacure has a large bore unit available now - Model 3?. Do you have any experience with it?
    Clear After your done diving on the surface. During diving the inter ear is exposed higher amouts of 02 then normal, by clearing on the surface after the dive helps me. I use a stopwatch set it for 15 mins as a reminder.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Smith  View Original Post
    Hi there,

I found it interesting that you brought this up. I've experience the same thing myself, but never heard anyone else mention it.

i think the difference is that on a rebreather we are taught to grip the rubber mouth bite securely so that no water enters the loop; pretty important. this (on me anyway) uses tenses up the muscles in the area and makes it harder to equalize. if i switch to OC and just have that reg loose in my mouth, no problem.

if this is your situation, maybe the key is noticing it is happening and forcing yourself to relax. that's what i try and do..and make sure my BOV is properly neutral in the water.

not sure if all that makes sense from a medical point of view? but i tested out that theory and it seemed to be the situation in my case.
    Could be. As I generally dive freshwater, one of my biggest issues when first using the breather was holding the mouthpiece too loose and getting a little water in. On my OC regs there is almost no wear on the bite tabs.

I do note, however, that when trying a valsalva on the breather it just doesn't want to get started. Kind of hard to explain but is like waiting for a start signal. I find if I wiggle my jaw around the valsalva will often take, else I have to repeat. I also find it hard to force air into my eustacian tubes sitting on my couch if I hold my molars a bit apart. If they are together, no problem.

From this I suspect them my particular physiology tends to pinch off my tubes them my jaws are open.

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

[QUOTE=bowzer;432818]I have always been a bit slow to clear my ears, but I have noticed that since switching to a rebreather, my problems with ear clearing have increased.

Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon? Are the bite tabs on any of the replacement mouth pieces (rebreather suitable) thinner?[/QUOTE

Something else to think about, when was the last time you had your sinus's checked. ear nose and throat allplay together. friend of mine always had a hard time with this. Come to find out he has blocked ( narrow ) sinus cavities. Just a thought.....

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

FYI, I tried lots of different mouthpiece bites [Comfobite - Seacure, different sizes - Standard bite - long bite- Manta] on Jetsam's BOVs (Gen 1, 2 and 3), ISC's DSV and Golem BOV (gen 1): I always come back to the Aqualung/Apeks with the arch. It makes all of the problems above disappear as I can relax my jaw and still keep the BOV secure thanks to the arch. I use the same on OC.
    Try and move your lower jaw forward to ease the start of the vasalva.
    One more thing the Apeks Comfobite is also the one mouthbite I never had any problem with water intrusion in the loop as it's flexible and maintain a good seal around the mouthpiece. With some others I had that problem a few times: you know when your rig maintains a good neg and pos on land but you still end the dive with water in the exhale lung.
    Philippe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast