+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebreather Myths

www.AddHelium.com Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium's Avatar

Rebreather Myths

In today’s world, navigating available rebreather information can be confusing, frustrating, and misleading. Consumers enquiring about rebreathers are often surprised by how disconnected the industry is. Over the years the Add Helium staff has had the pleasure of speaking with many people that wish to purchase a rebreather. Usually, we are not the first rebreather retailer they have spoken to. What is most surprising, though, is the amount of misinformation given to the potential consumer by rebreather instructors, manufacturers, and sales people.

Where can consumers get information that is accurate, thorough, and unbiased? Many people seek advice from manufacturers, local dive shops, the ‘local expert”, and online forums. What do these sources have to offer? Read more...

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: Rebreather Myths

Great Job moving in the right direction!

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Rebreather Myths

Gee Peter
    That is a rather biased and self serving perspective.
    Many Rebreather instructors are not full time dive shop employees but dive and teach RBs out a love for sharing their passion
    Many markets outside of Florida don't have the ability to support every RB under the sun and prefer to specialize in those units they feel best suited for their environment
    Many RB instructors don't run regularly scheduled classes and only do it when they have enough interested students
    Your suggestion that only full time instructors are able to provide competent training is just wrong. There are many of us who teach on a select number if units for the love of the sport not to earn a living.
    Last edited by wedivebc; 19th May 2013 at 23:24.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Rebreather Myths

As a newer rebreather diver I found that I had a good foundation to learn from prior to training but the concepts didn't really make sense until I was actually trained.

Training prior to buying would be the best option in my opinion. This is often hard to do though. Add Helium certainly has an advantage there except if you wanted to buy and train on a Hammerhead....

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Add Helium  View Original Post
    In today’s world, navigating available rebreather information can be confusing, frustrating, and misleading. Consumers enquiring about rebreathers are often surprised by how disconnected the industry is. Over the years the Add Helium staff has had the pleasure of speaking with many people that wish to purchase a rebreather. Usually, we are not the first rebreather retailer they have spoken to. What is most surprising, though, is the amount of misinformation given to the potential consumer by rebreather instructors, manufacturers, and sales people.

Where can consumers get information that is accurate, thorough, and unbiased? Many people seek advice from manufacturers, local dive shops, the ‘local expert”, and online forums. What do these sources have to offer? Read more...
    Ah ...... talk about biased or self serving.......

Your write up is cute in fact its adorable but several statements made are just wrong, when you say that all mainstream rebreathers are subjected to "stringent independent 3rd party testing" .....ah that is in itself a very misleading statement because of the inherent risks associated with rebreathers.

and of course you fail to address the most important question:

Do you need a rebreather? Do you have the discipline to dive one safely?

But of course those questions dont put money in your pocket.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I never needed a rebreather, but decided to get one anyway

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Add Helium  View Original Post

Umm, I got as far as the very first point of your multi-point press release and compared with TDI's pre-requistes that clealry state....."

1 TDI CCR AIR DILUENT DIVER (INSPIRATION/KISS/OPTIMA/MEGALODON)
    (CCR 40 msw using the Inspiration, KISS, Optima or Megalodon Rebreather)
    This is the entry level certification course to train recreational divers in the benefits, hazards and proper procedures to utilise the Inspiration/Evolution, KISS, Optima or Megalodon Closed Circuit Rebreather. This is a unit specific course.
    STUDENT PRE-REQUISITES
    Minimum age of 18 and certification as a TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver or equivalent (this program may be combined with the TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver Course) with 60 logged dives."

But I do really like this image......http://addhelium.com/site/wp-content...h2-300x211.png

Which of you is correct?

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    I never needed a rebreather, but decided to get one anyway
    Fair enough, but hopefully you made an informed decision, if you want to subject yourself to added risk without the need you are certainly entitled to do so and I strongly support it....but

Hopefully you go about it responsibly so in the event of your death your loved ones are taken care of and not left broke so they feel the need to sue and have others pay for there own irresponsible behavior.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by osiris  View Original Post
    Umm, I got as far as the very first point of your multi-point press release and compared with TDI's pre-requistes that clealry state....."

1 TDI CCR AIR DILUENT DIVER (INSPIRATION/KISS/OPTIMA/MEGALODON)
    (CCR 40 msw using the Inspiration, KISS, Optima or Megalodon Rebreather)
    This is the entry level certification course to train recreational divers in the benefits, hazards and proper procedures to utilise the Inspiration/Evolution, KISS, Optima or Megalodon Closed Circuit Rebreather. This is a unit specific course.
    STUDENT PRE-REQUISITES
    Minimum age of 18 and certification as a TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver or equivalent (this program may be combined with the TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver Course) with 60 logged dives."

But I do really like this image......http://addhelium.com/site/wp-content...h2-300x211.png

Which of you is correct?
    I am not near my materials right now, but I recall that my IANTD initial rebreather course also had a written prerequisite of advanced nitrox and deco procedures or the equivalent. And since I lived across the country from where I got my RB instruction, it had nothing to do with the instructor selling me another class. The initial rebreather course involves the use of 100% O2 and certified me for up to 15 minutes of deco on the RB, so it just makes sense that those 2 courses are prerequisites.

There are some very good points made in the Add Helium promo, and others I do not agree with. I would also point out as a good source of information going to one of the large trade shows. Manufacturers, instructors, local experts, and even this online forum are well represented.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by JONT3  View Original Post

Do you need a rebreather?
    I doubt 0.1% of the people on RBW need a rebreather. I doubt you do.

But we all want one! or two.

Good point about the discipline though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast