+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Might be moving to cave paradise, thinking about rebreathers

RBW Member vitriol is an unknown quantity at this point vitriol's Avatar

Might be moving to cave paradise, thinking about rebreathers

Hi all!

I've always been curious about rebreathers, but most of my diving has been in tropical locations over reefs, and have always preferred the simplicity of OC single tank diving.

Now there is a good chance I spend 3-5 months a year in Playa del Carmen. Being an amazing place for caves, I'm thinking of doing my cave certification and rebreather course.

I'm still debating what would be better for me, SCCR, CCR, backmount, sidemount, etc...

Can't wait to learn more about rebreathers, and hopefully try one soon!

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Re: Might be moving to cave paradise, thinking about rebreathers

I have never been in Mexico but from what i have hear is that the most cave`s are shallow, so you are good with OC/side mount OC, but i can recommend CCR diving

RBW Member scubamoody is an unknown quantity at this point scubamoody's Avatar
    Cis Lunar Mk6

I took my rebreather on my trip to playa del carmen last year and to be honest I thought it was a bit of overkill for the majority of caves down there. There is such a high quality number of caves that are shallow (60ft or shallower) that you really don't need to be on CCR unless you are hitting the pit or blue abyss etc. I would look at maybe an oc sidemount setup or something and it will keep you well occupied for awhile and be much easier to travel with. That's what I used my trip there earlier this year and it was a perfect solution. Best of luck and I'm quite jealous!

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

with an SCR (like a GEM) you only carry your backplate/wing, loop, computer, and scrubber canister.

thats what I'll be doing my Mexican Cenotes in.

Cis Lunar Mk6

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    with an SCR (like a GEM) you only carry your backplate/wing, loop, computer, and scrubber canister.

Also a very good option, would definitely like to pick up a GEM sidekick at some point in the near future!

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by scubamoody  View Original Post
    I took my rebreather on my trip to playa del carmen last year and to be honest I thought it was a bit of overkill for the majority of caves down there. There is such a high quality number of caves that are shallow (60ft or shallower) that you really don't need to be on CCR unless you are hitting the pit or blue abyss etc. I would look at maybe an oc sidemount setup or something and it will keep you well occupied for awhile and be much easier to travel with. That's what I used my trip there earlier this year and it was a perfect solution. Best of luck and I'm quite jealous!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post

It really looks like a good option. If I understood you correctly, you would need the GEM + 2 cylinders, one being your bailout.

I also read about these:SideMount Rebreather Systems, Inc.

and they seem pretty nice. You have the rebreather on one side, and your bailout on the other. Seems perfect to me, but again, I know nothing about rebreathers.

There's also some good deep ocean dives to do around cozumel I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by scubamoody  View Original Post
    I would look at maybe an oc sidemount setup or something and it will keep you well occupied for awhile and be much easier to travel with. That's what I used my trip there earlier this year and it was a perfect solution. Best of luck and I'm quite jealous!
    Sidemount is definitely something I'd like to try. Thanks!

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Have a chat with Mat Mexico at Protec.

I did my CCR cave course with him and Patric. It was a very tough course with no punches pulled but I felt we were in good hands.

Also Matt has his name on several cave maps in the area so he knows a thing or two about Mexico Cave diving. He's done OC and CCR so ask his opinion on wether or not CCR is a good idea in shalow caves.

Personaly I wouldn't go in a cave system as complex as Mexico without a CCR. I just couldn't enjoy my self properly with the gas safety margins OC has to offer.

ATB

Mark

Cis Lunar Mk6

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Have a chat with Mat Mexico at Protec.

I did my CCR cave course with him and Patric. It was a very tough course with no punches pulled but I felt we were in good hands.

Also Matt has his name on several cave maps in the area so he knows a thing or two about Mexico Cave diving. He's done OC and CCR so ask his opinion on wether or not CCR is a good idea in shalow caves.
    +1
    Patrick did my sidemount cave course and I can confirm that it is tough and that you will be all the better for it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast