+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leaky Dolphin DSV HELL!!

RBW Member phylo is an unknown quantity at this point phylo's Avatar
    rEvo II HCCR

Dolphin, KISS, Inspiration

Leaky Dolphin DSV HELL!!

I tried to take the Dolphin out this weekend and the inhalation side of the DSV is leaking like a siv!

Its not where the hose ataches to the DSV, but where the part that allows the hose to rotate plugs into the dsv that is leaking.. I have replaced the O-ring and lubed it up and it still feel's realy loose compared to the exhaust side..

It would bubble pretty good until I inhaled and then it would stop for a second. The exhale hose was gurgling within 5 to 10 minutes and I abborted the dive.

Anyone have this problem? Any ideas?

This was using the 60% jet and the rig passed positive test on land just fine.

thanks
    Phil

New Member mothball is an unknown quantity at this point mothball's Avatar

Re: Leaky Dolphin DSV HELL!!

Not surprized, been dealing with this crap for three years. Welcome to Dolphin ownershit. If you figure it out, lemme know. Semper Fi Dave

rEvo II HCCR

If this is such a common issue, someone has to have come up with a solution!!

Anyone?

Phil

I think the words flimsy, fickle, and unreliable describe the Dolphin well. I've made comments before of handing my Dolphin over to the dealer and him handing it back to me Still not working. I figure if the dealer can't even get the pos to work, then I'm screwed. I even got a copy of repair tech's manual, and I'm still not sure wtf is up with this thing. I've had to abort more dives than I actually have dives on my unit and half of the abortions were because of the mouthpiece leaking. Same deal as yours, everything is working fine at home or at the dock, get out to the dive site and the d@mn thing crapped out. Like I said, lemme know if you figure this out, you're not alone. Semper Fi Dave

rEvo II HCCR

I think I may have found a solution! Well at least one that appears to work.

What I did is take a piece of 1/4" wide by about 4 or 5" piece of PTFE tape from swagelock and roll it into a strand. I then pushed that strand in next to the o-ring so that the o-ring wouldn't have as much room to compress and spread out in the o-ring channel (the channel seemed way to big in the first place) I then reassembled it all and tried both neg and positive test and both passed just fine. I then turned on the gas and let run for a while with the mouth piece submerged in a pan to make sure that it was working!

The only Issue I have so far is that I don't have any crystolube so the connections are all fairly dry.. Im going to lube it up tomorrow or Thursday when I can get my hands on some crystolube and test again. If all looks good, and I don't get anyone telling my that this will kill me Ill post pics of what the hell it is that Im doing so all can see.

If this works Im guessing that it will be something you will want to check on periodically to make sure that it isn't deteriorating.

Anyone think Im nuts for trying this?

Phil

RBW Member blibecap is an unknown quantity at this point blibecap's Avatar

Hi Guys
    I don't know if this will help but remember seeing it as i was surfing.
    http://www.airheadsscuba.com/o_ring.html
    Bill

rEvo II HCCR

I just ran across that as well.. Im thinking about giving that method a try as soon as I can get to the hardware store to get 0-rings..

One way or another this damn DSV leak is not gonna keep me out of the water any more!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by blibecap
    Hi Guys
    I don't know if this will help but remember seeing it as i was surfing.
    http://www.airheadsscuba.com/o_ring.html
    Bill

RBW Member camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phylo
    I just ran across that as well.. Im thinking about giving that method a try as soon as I can get to the hardware store to get 0-rings..

One way or another this damn DSV leak is not gonna keep me out of the water any more!
    What a cool idea. I'm going to head out and do that for my Dolphin. I'm smacking myself on the head for not thinking about it first.

The Dolphin's my "backup" rebreather, so it doesn't get in the water a lot...and the leaky DSV seems to be a symptom of the mouthpiece drying out from disuse. When I would dive it weekly, I'd usually make it last six months (or so) before I needed to repair the mouthpiece. Now, since it's mostly a dive-shelf relic, it's always a roll of the dice if it's going to work or I'm going to have to skip a dive...

For the price that Drager/Uwatec charged for those things, you'd think they'd have found some engineers with a little more talent to put somewhere in the design and build process. Everything on the unit's either flakey or flimsy in some regard. The only nice thing I can say is that at least they were the first to bring a widespread exposure to rebreathers to the general "masses."
    Last edited by camerone; 3rd May 2006 at 05:59.

New Member John J. Jones, IV is an unknown quantity at this point John J. Jones, IV's Avatar

Greetings from Hong Kong! I was really disappointed to read Dave's commentary on his experience will his Dolphin. I just recently purchased a new one, upgraded it with a new SS shell, metal backplate extender, PP02 monitors from Techme, an Extend Air canister, a new DSV from Divematics and side mount tanks. I have bubbled around the pool and have not had any bad experiences with it, but to think that I should have spent the money on a better unit, etc., makes me sick....The only stock part left is the ADV.

Dave-In your experience, are there any "gotcha's" remaining out there?

Best regards,

John

Phylo - I think I understand what you are saying. I'd be interested in seeing the pic if you can post them. That sounds like it would solve the problem. I'm going to try that extra o-ring trick like airhead showed first.

My mouthpiece is moving around like a ball and socket and was leaking intermittenly in the pool a couple of days ago but only extremely tiny bubbles. I found if I repositioned my mouth on the mouthpiece the bubbles stopped (???) Again the dealer just fixed it and put it together for me ready to dive... I'm going to dive it in the springs on Friday. Maybe if I get it to depth it will settle down a bit. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me.

JJJ4 - It sounds like you have a nice homebuilt rb. Mine is bone stock except for the extra bailout bottle I put on the left side of the unit (13cf EANx 40). I don't know what other gremlins I'll have to face, but I have been quite fortunate in way that the unit has always crapped out on or at the surface and not at any depth, which, I guess, is some consolation.

Semper Fi Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast