+ Reply to Thread

Thread: unexpected problem with Hero3 BE

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

unexpected problem with Hero3 BE

Hi RW

I finally bought my self a GoPro Hero3 Black edition. I made a nice compact setup with 2x Cree XM-L video lights and couldn't wait to throw some video on youtube from my local dive-site.

Unfortunately, I have run in to an unexpected problem!

My Lenovo T400 Core Duo laptop simply can't handle the data stream and playback the videos :-( I also tried my friends Core I5 laptop and this also lacks the muscle.

I record in 1080P/60FPS with pro-tune on. I do not want to deviate from this setting as I plan to run video in half speed for most of my clips.

I do not want to spend alot on a new PC at the moment, so I was interested in knowing what minimum PC setup you guys/girls are using that can handle this data-stream (CPU, RAM, Graphics-card, HDD).

I am a PC guy, so don't bother speaking mac to me...

Safe diving

Christian

RBW Member Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry's Avatar
    rEvo,Vision,KISS,Poseidon

Re: unexpected problem with Hero3 BE

Had the exact same problem ended up buying a new laptop.

Acer Aspire V3 571G, i7 3630QM, 15.6" HD, GT 730M

You will need the high graphics card, this is a must GeForce GT 730M.

A desktop I understand would be better as it has more power!

Pinnacle software is what I am using for the edit.

Total B,S. having to spend a grand on a new computer. Editing in HD is completely different animal!

There is always a "maybe" CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT RMS

Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by depth  View Original Post
    Hi RW

I finally bought my self a GoPro Hero3 Black edition. I made a nice compact setup with 2x Cree XM-L video lights and couldn't wait to throw some video on youtube from my local dive-site.

Unfortunately, I have run in to an unexpected problem!

My Lenovo T400 Core Duo laptop simply can't handle the data stream and playback the videos :-( I also tried my friends Core I5 laptop and this also lacks the muscle.

I record in 1080P/60FPS with pro-tune on. I do not want to deviate from this setting as I plan to run video in half speed for most of my clips.

I do not want to spend alot on a new PC at the moment, so I was interested in knowing what minimum PC setup you guys/girls are using that can handle this data-stream (CPU, RAM, Graphics-card, HDD).

I am a PC guy, so don't bother speaking mac to me...

Safe diving

Christian
    From the GoPro site " the H.264 file format used in camera is not designed for editing"

as this format does not really let you work with unless you have a fast computer you got to convert it:

How To Prepare Source Video Files for Editing (Windows / PC)

works fine for me.

Cheers

Christian

RBW Member Seldom Here is an unknown quantity at this point Seldom Here's Avatar
    Discovery MK VI

I had the same issue on my MacBook Pro. I do a lot of video editing from my 5D Mk II so was surprised it was struggling and immediately thought it was an issue with the way it was recorded.

I downloaded the GoPro CineForm app and used that to convert the video into a video of the same resolution (no conversion). The resulting file ran fine without any stuttering.

Give it a try and see if it works for you before looking at a new laptop

GoPro CineForm Studio

I am not convinced a new laptop would help anyway. I am running an i7 with 16Gb ram and a 512 SSD and had the issue. I think it may be the codec GoPro use, although it is meant to be H.264.

RBW Member davermo is on a distinguished road davermo is on a distinguished road davermo's Avatar
    Hammerhead Classic CCR

Inspiration Classic, IDA-71

I first had the similar problem with my laptop for editing...

I was recomended to use the 2,7K @ 25FPS for UW filming... with Protune and RAW wb settings enabled.
    Now i'm using the GoPro CineForm for rough editing and converting to .mp4 format. And finaly do my finishing rendering, adding titles & music in Pinnacle Studio 15.

Since i can only use a maximum of 1080P at Youtube, i'm more than happy with the result.

WCW 2013-04-28 - YouTube

//Andreas

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Ok, I converted the file in the GoPro Cineform to AVI 1080P/60FPS and this will play just fine :)

Thank you for the tips...

I could not choose MP4 as output though!, only AVi and MOV! (Is MOV the same as MP4?).

Just finished packing for 4 days of wreck diving in Norway leaving tomorrow, can't wait to get some nice footage...

/Christian

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Just checking, you are copying the files to the computer first? The USB doesn't like to handle that much data that fast.

Also the Hero3 just got a new Firmware update a few weeks back. So far it works but have not had a chance to really push it since I did the update.

Quote Originally Posted by broncobowsher  View Original Post
    Just checking, you are copying the files to the computer first? The USB doesn't like to handle that much data that fast.

Also the Hero3 just got a new Firmware update a few weeks back. So far it works but have not had a chance to really push it since I did the update.
    Yes, I copied the files to the laptop Harddrive.

I updated my H3 last night. Have had some problems with the camera freezing up and can only reset it by taking the battery out. I believe that is a common issue. Hoping that the update fixes that bug...

/Christian

Serious Swagelok Addict jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

I'm using 1080p @ 25fps and editing it using Premier Pro on a laptop i7 with 1Gb dedicated graphics and 4 Gb of RAM and a 120GB SSD as C drive. I've had no issues with the laptop handling the editing.

+ Reply to Thread