+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Mk vi fatality - portugal

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Re: Mk vi fatality - portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Danyboy  View Original Post
    Trying to learn something here...
    Could you please explain why...?
    Gas consumption at depth?

The reasoning why I would bail at any depth:
    All kind of scenarios boil down to the fact that I know only one thing about the gas in the loop - that it's not what I want, but everything else.
    So do I keep on breathing whatever is in there?
    Not on a disco, where the possibility of a dil-flush is not really a feature, more a work-around...
    Which is why I'd bail as long as I'm still able to swap regs. As even with a channeling, this might be right quick...

So if there's something I can learn - I'm all ears...! :)

Cheers,
    Dany
    My first reaction is also NOT to bailout at depth. This is especially important on deeper dives because I want to conserve the resources available. Don't get me wrong, there are situations where fresh gas is essential, but there are some issues that are quickly and easily identified and fixed. For those, I sort out the problem. For me, those include a high PO2 (do diluent flush unless it is 1.8 or higher, in which case I would go right to OC while flushing), low PO2 (if above .4 I would add O2 manually), breathing heavy / possible CO2 increase (I would slow down, breathe everything out of my nose, take a big inhale on the loop to introduce fresh gas, and repeat until satisfied).

That being said, if I were just "feeling funny" and couldn't figure out why, I would go to fresh gas right away. Also, for newer rebreather divers (anyone with less than 200 hours), I would say that immediate bailout is the correct procedure.

RBW Member jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danyboy  View Original Post
    Trying to learn something here...
    Could you please explain why...?
    Gas consumption at depth?

The reasoning why I would bail at any depth:
    All kind of scenarios boil down to the fact that I know only one thing about the gas in the loop - that it's not what I want, but everything else.
    So do I keep on breathing whatever is in there?
    Not on a disco, where the possibility of a dil-flush is not really a feature, more a work-around...
    Which is why I'd bail as long as I'm still able to swap regs. As even with a channeling, this might be right quick...

So if there's something I can learn - I'm all ears...! :)
    Primarily gas consumption & limited gas supply. I don't/won't dive lugging silly numbers of BO cylinders.

I have had to bailout a few times, so staying on the loop isn't always possible, but it's just one solution, not a default response IMO. I'll leave the BOOM scenario aside as it only applies to Meg divers ;)

Many situations are manageable by staying on the loop, those I've dealt with in this way include:
    * cell failure
    * partial loop flooding
    * loss of primary power supply + low battery warning on backup battery
    * hypoxic diluent leak into loop via ADV (ppO2 crashing)

You have time to figure these out & take appropriate actions allowing you to complete the dive on the loop.

I don't use a BOV (out of choice).

RBW Member Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery

Thumbs up Re: Mk vi fatality - portugal

Thanks! :)

All clear now!

Cheers,
    Dany

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

Quote Originally Posted by jptaylor9  View Original Post
    Not always the best option, especially on deeper dives (80m+). My first response is to stay on the loop & fix the issue, as I was taught on my MOD 1. As my instructor knew I be diving CCR deep, he didn't want to teach me bail out as a first response than have to un-teach me later!

Yes, but we are not talking +80 meters here. Not even +50 meters. This is what differ both in unit response and training response from other CCR's. One way is never the only way :)

But I agree with you, on the deeper dives. But you can always take a sanity breath (or two) and then go back on the loop, if you feel that you can fix the problem.

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

[QUOTE

Easy there brother. I see that you are from Ontario, so there may be some emotional aspect that I'm not aware of, but either way, it is better to direct your anger towards the argument and not towards the poster. There are facts to support Rod's statement, I think he just didn't do a great job of explaining them. Again, based on what I have read, I believe it was CO2, and that not getting off the loop or doing a loop flush was user error. I do not make those statements to defend Poseidon, as you can see by my prior harsh criticism of their misleading marketing.

C[/QUOTE]

The emotional aspect is people who make accusations, for a cause of death based on opinion, then go off and talk about how the diver made the mistake..one they surly wouldnt. To compare a situation when all the facts are clearly not final, and draw conclusions. But hey what else is new just another thread gone way off topic, and ending up about bailout and just how poorly the training is....funny no real cause of death but so many have it all figured out. Yes maybe I am a bit touchy, then again its someone I met, someone we all knew here. It was close to home for us, flying accusations just seem an insult..hen again it is a forum after all...

My 2 cents...spend it where it fits!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19