+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Optima breathing hoses / weight rings

www.rebreather.com.br zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave's Avatar
    O2ptima / Liberty / Dolphin

Optima breathing hoses / weight rings

Hi guys,

reading stuff around I came across the problem of buoyant hoses and mouthpiece. How is this with the optima?
    I saw for sale some hose weights for 1.5" diameter hoses. I tried to find hose sizes in the optima manual but no luck.
    Would these rings fit? Are they a good idea for optimas?

Something else, also came across hose protectors, also seen some pictures of optimas with them. What's the benefit behind them?

Thanks and safe diving,

Zé.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Re: Optima breathing hoses / weight rings

Look at my avatar. Narked@90 made my hose covers. They are great. I prefer them over the stock ones that come with the Optima because these cover more of the hose. Plus, they look quite sporting with the engraving, don't they? :D

The Optima uses short hoses that don't tend to float, and they don't need the weights. I would go over your Optima with your instructor at the start of your course before considering making alterations to the stock unit. Your instructor will review possible gear configurations with you at that time. The Optima comes pretty well set up. So, other than some personal choices you will be making (Transpac versus backplate and the like), you will already have most of what you need right out of the box.
    Last edited by ScubaDadMiami; 1st May 2006 at 20:33.

Rekodeko. Sweden fredrik is a jewel in the rough fredrik is a jewel in the rough fredrik is a jewel in the rough fredrik is a jewel in the rough fredrik is a jewel in the rough fredrik is a jewel in the rough fredrik is a jewel in the rough fredrik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami
    Look at my avatar.
    How do I find your avtar? (or anybody elses)

www.rebreather.com.br zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave's Avatar

thanks ScubaDad!
    I am asking because I want to use my trip for the course also to bring some accessories. Knowing what could be of interest before hand and ordering them in advance is the objective. Getting diving stuff down here is very complicated and I wanted to bring with me as much of these little things as I can.

Fredrik: look at the members Public profile by left clicking on its name.

Zé.

Bloody Rebreathers! Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell's Avatar
    O2ptima, Sentinel, Prism 2

Inspiration & KISS & Poseidon

I am just using the hose protectors that come with the unit, but it is up to you.

what harness are you planning to use (with your rec wing)? I would take a look at the "side mount kit" (the next big thing in diving as someones recently said) and the new "handset" pocket, used for stowing the secondary.

I would also get the "spares kit" so you can be self sufficient when back home. Dont forget a spare set of cells.

That will get you by for the Optima. If you want a few other "extras" I can recomend the new hand held 10w HID, and some "Dive wRites" not papers.

Cheers Jason

Jason: I plan to use either my SS plate or I might just get an new aluminum plate for me. I also have a transpac2 somewhere but I don't think I can get back to that.
    The "spares kit", is that the one DR express already put together?
    I saw the new handheld HID, I didn't like the fact I have to use so many AA cells. I will stick to my slim line HID for now...
    Thanks!
    Zé.

O2ptima Test Dummy
    JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zmcave
    Jason: I plan to use either my SS plate or I might just get an new aluminum plate for me. I also have a transpac2 somewhere but I don't think I can get back to that.
    The "spares kit", is that the one DR express already put together?
    I saw the new handheld HID, I didn't like the fact I have to use so many AA cells. I will stick to my slim line HID for now...
    Thanks!
    Zé.
    Stay with the SS plate most people need that amount of weight anyway.

PROTEC MEXICO mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico's Avatar

yo

I do use hose protectors, but only th eones close to the cannister. The ones between mouthpiece and t-piece tend to be a litle to stiff for my taste. They only come on when doing photos, they look great.

I do use a stainless backplate to get the trim better. I do however have modified my unit a lot. I do not use the back cover and I do use 13 cft alm tanks with no onboard bail out but always carry a 40 cft alm stage with me.

With the alm tanks and ss plate I do have a almost perfect natural horizontal position.

Matt
    N 20' 37.617'
    W 87' 04.693'

+ Reply to Thread