+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nautilus Explorer

RBW Member Mat H is an unknown quantity at this point Mat H's Avatar
    rEvo III mCCR

Nautilus Explorer

Has anyone taken their CCR on board the Nautilus Explorer liveaboard trips out of Cabo? Curious how you traveled your rebreather, whether you got tanks/sorb from the boat or brought/shipped your own?

I've had mixed experiences with Mexican airport staff. Typically I carry on my rEvo, and have no issues domestically, but that can get squirrelly fast on the return trip home.

If anyone has any experience with this op and can share some of their logistics about the trip I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Mat

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Re: Nautilus Explorer

Mat,

A group of us went on a trip organized by Curt last November. If memory serves there were about 16 or more CCR divers on that trip.

Curt arranged the trip and dealt with the logistics. There was sorb and 02 on the boat waiting for us and Curt brought his own booster.

We all brought our own onboard 02 and dil tanks, and most of us used the 80 cu ft tanks from the boat and just brought stage rigging for bailout.

If memory serves there was quite a bit of sorb left over but that is now almost 6 ago.

My advice would be to contact Curt or the boat directly.

The crew of the Nautilus were awesome and very accomodating with the CCR's.

Here is the RBW thread to some of the comments on the trip: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=44671

Marc
    Last edited by S. Marc; 10th April 2013 at 03:34.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Mat H  View Original Post
    Has anyone taken their CCR on board the Nautilus Explorer liveaboard trips out of Cabo? Curious how you traveled your rebreather, whether you got tanks/sorb from the boat or brought/shipped your own?

I've had mixed experiences with Mexican airport staff. Typically I carry on my rEvo, and have no issues domestically, but that can get squirrelly fast on the return trip home.

If anyone has any experience with this op and can share some of their logistics about the trip I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Mat
    taking rebreathers into Mexico was no problem at all, we had no issues at all.
    as Marc states, the crew was just great! best liveaboard I ever did
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

rEvo III mCCR

Paul, how do you travel your revo? I've always carried on.

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    taking rebreathers into Mexico was no problem at all, we had no issues at all.
    as Marc states, the crew was just great! best liveaboard I ever did

RBW Member Skubi is an unknown quantity at this point Skubi's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT rMS hccr

rEvo Mini III hccr

Nautilus Explorer

I went on this trip with Paul and Curt as well. I carried on my rebreather and 3L tanks connected to my rEvo. I took the valves off the tanks and inserted a plug that I removed just before going thru security. No problems at all

rEvo III mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Skubi  View Original Post
    I went on this trip with Paul and Curt as well. I carried on my rebreather and 3L tanks connected to my rEvo. I took the valves off the tanks and inserted a plug that I removed just before going thru security. No problems at all
    I traveled to Curacao in this manner last year and got hassled on the return flight. Also had a miserable time with Mexican TSA coming home from Cabo last September with open circuit gear...

Sounds like my experience might just be anomalous and I'm overly worried about this.

RBW Member DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek's Avatar
    AP Evolution

I've dived CCR on Nautilus Explorer several times. Unfortunately I've always been the only CCR guy on board so I end up doing 1 hour run times a lot. They let you solo dive, and at some locations (when you can go out and back from the boat) you can do a longer run time. But they don't leave a tender by the pinnacles for hours on end, so you have to coincide roughly with the main group.

The diving is spectacular. If you can get away from the others in the group then sharks will come right up to you (blowing a few bubbles reminds them what you are, if they come too close). Mantas seem to be curious to see what you are and even tuna will whizz close by.

It is tiring gearing up and checklisting four times a day. You will often be last in the water! But a great way to maintain that muscle memory of gearing and un-gearing

They have sorb, breather bottles, O2 and small bailout bottles to get you to the surface. I never bothered doing deco on that trip and stayed above 150ft so no need for trimix. Watch out for surge on the pinnacles, you can be picked up and moved around the wall as much as 10 feet in the Pacific swells.

I've had no issues with Mexico customs, just don't take too much and be ready to have serial numbers ready to demonstrate you're taking the same camera and gear out with you. You won't need back-up OC gear, just borrow some on the boat if there's a catastrophic error (just pay a bigger tip). You will get interest in your rig at customs, they will x-ray your bags (and everyone's). The customs guys will be curious, be prepared to chat for as long as they're interested, some of them dive. They won't give you a hard time.

The Nautilus is a well-run rebreather-friendly boat. Can't recommend it enough.

RBW Member dlh is an unknown quantity at this point dlh's Avatar

I've done several trip on the Nautilus in Mexico, California, and Canada. They are amazing even with a dozen rebreathers on board. Good sorb supply, reasonable charges for consumables, and amazing staff always. You can't go wrong.