+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Re: I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hk101gr  View Original Post
    If you 're in a plane flying and the pilot says one hydraulic system is out wouldn't you want to land immediately?
    Even with 2 more as backups as is usually the case? Why wouldn't you abort your dive? How is it any different?
    Because its not a hydraulic system or an aircraft.

Depending on the unit, a solenoid battery failing may or may not be a reason to abort the dive. Many hybrid units out there that can and are dived manually. Speaking for myself, certainly would not stop me on my unit.
    Last edited by DwayneJ; 4th April 2013 at 23:25.

RBW Member Hk101gr is on a distinguished road Hk101gr is on a distinguished road Hk101gr's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    Because its not a hydraulic system or an aircraft.

Depending on the unit, a solenoid battery failing may or may not be a reason to abort the dive. Many hybrid units out there that can and are dived manually. Speaking for myself, certainly would not stop me on my unit.
    It's all down to how you want to treat the failure. It could be an isolated thing or not . You don't know if it's a run down battery ,the controller acting funny or a defective battery meaning your secondarys battery could be too.
    I remember when a batch of defective SAFTs hit the market some time ago.
    Wasn't funny then...
    I get your point though and understand how your system is rigged and the reasons for it. The difference is that i would thumb the dive, get out find out what broke and why, see if i can fix it and then dive.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by michael hearn  View Original Post
    dwayne
    i am not critisizing another manufacturer ,i know exactly how a revo works ,i know paul ,please dont take it so personally , i was asked a question and i gave an answer why i designed my unit the way it is. the aurora has redundant electronics ,it has flood recovery ,all life support components are in a specially designed housing to protect them ,, this thread is about battery compartments ,my batteries are protected well enough as to say it is extremly unlikley they will flood as far as i know im allowed to say that , why split them up and create as many failure points as redundancy .why put them out side the unit , others do for there own reasons , i choose not to , maybe in the future you will get to see one of my units and then you will understand how it works, and my reasoning behind it , maybe even you will be impressed .
    cheers
    mike .
    I must admit to being intrigued by your design and hope to be able to see one in person some day. I understand your battery placement logic, but am not quite sure I agree with it just yet. I am not saying that you are wrong or that you are right, but I am learning from this thread.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    I must admit to being intrigued by your design and hope to be able to see one in person some day. I understand your battery placement logic, but am not quite sure I agree with it just yet. I am not saying that you are wrong or that you are right, but I am learning from this thread.

+1. Most interesting discussion we've had on here in some time.
    Ken

Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by michael hearn  View Original Post

...... second my battery pod is sealed in side its own 1 bar chamber , inside a dry electronic pod with only cell faces exposed to the loop which its self even with a full rebreather flood will not its self flood ....
    cheers all
    Michael, do I get this right: the sensors are in a '1 atm chamber', with cell faces exposed to the loop..?

this means actually then that the batteries are inside the loop

(as you can not have pressure difference over the sensors, meaning the battery compartment is all the time equalised with the loop pressure, when descending loop gas goes into the battery compartement, when ascending batt comp gas goes into the loop)

if you have a battery off-gassing for whatever reason, this gas goes into the loop

if so, this is surely not what is required by the CE standard

unless the 'and' in your text includes that the batteries and the sensors are not in the same compartment? this is not clear, if so, then it's different of course

paul

... batteries in an external sealed compartment are definately a better choise...
    Last edited by paulraymaekers; 5th April 2013 at 07:43.
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Paul,
    By looking at the pics it is quite easy to see the batteries are in a sealed compartment (1 bar). If the seal was to be compromised it would open the battery compartment to the inside of the loop not the outside water.
    The cells are obviously inside the loop at ambient pressure not one bar.

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

I thought I read way back when in another thread that sensors aren't designed to have a pressure gradient from one side to the next and should be at ambient pressure on both sides. Is that incorrect?

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by quickean  View Original Post
    I thought I read way back when in another thread that sensors aren't designed to have a pressure gradient from one side to the next and should be at ambient pressure on both sides. Is that incorrect?

I have a similar question since I know nothing about the science of cells. Is there a difference between:

1. Having the whole cell in an ambient chamber while the leads/wires penetrate a gland into a 1 ATA chamber?

2. Having the cell itself positioned in the divider such that the membrane face is in the ambient chamber with loop gas while the other end is in the sealed 1 ATA chamber?

This is a serious question. Not trying to be facetious at all.
    Ken

Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

I have a similar question since I know nothing about the science of cells.

2. Having the cell itself positioned in the divider such that the membrane face is in the ambient chamber with loop gas while the other end is in the sealed 1 ATA chamber?
    There are some rebreathers that were designed with the cell being a divider and what I remember reading was that it was a consensus of the divers that it was a design flaw. The reason was if the membrane cracked are the "O" ring on the cell didn't seal you would have a scrubber bypass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Paul,
    By looking at the pics it is quite easy to see the batteries are in a sealed compartment (1 bar). If the seal was to be compromised it would open the battery compartment to the inside of the loop not the outside water.
    The cells are obviously inside the loop at ambient pressure not one bar.
    probably, for that reason the question, but I don't see the other side of the 1 atm compartment

@kwinter: there is no pressure difference allowed over the front and the back of the sensor

correction: I start to understand now how the battery compartment of the unit looks like, so sealing against the top of the 'cap' of the electronic 'pod'

so I'm wrong in my previous post (can't edit), the batteries are no in the loop, just the electronics that are in the compartment of the sensors are in the loop.
    Last edited by paulraymaekers; 5th April 2013 at 14:23.
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...