+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

Cave Country Dive Shop Jim Wyatt is an unknown quantity at this point Jim Wyatt's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I have never been comfortable with the idea of batteries in the loop. No how, no way. It might be pure emotion rather than logic, but some things just shouldn't mix.
    Agreed. I really like the way the rEvo battery is external to the loop. Just makes more sense to me.

Nils Möllerström nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt  View Original Post
    Agreed. I really like the way the rEvo battery is external to the loop. Just makes more sense to me.
    There might be one advantage to having the batteries in the loop and that's temperature. Really cold water will have a negative effect on the batteries performance. I'm not sure how much or how serious but having batteries in a sealed compartment, like APD's torpedo tubes, placed inside the loop seems to me as the least bad.

Just a thought since we're not all warm water divers. I've had cameras dying on me for this reason...

/nils

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

To me it makes most sense to locate the batteries in the head, in a 1ATM compartment. The surrounding heat will give the battery a warmer atmosphere to work in and you avoid using a very long cable to feed a solenoid.

If exploding, burning and leaking batteries was a problem we would have read about it a million times by now. So far I haven't heard of one case where this has been a problem.

David Carden cardysnr is on a distinguished road cardysnr is on a distinguished road cardysnr's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Meg 2.7SW, AP Vision+, JJ-CCR

Isn't this an issue of design compromise?

Even if batteries are in a sealed compartment (outside or inside) some form of sealing is required for the wiring or connector interfaces through into the loop.....which is a potentially failure point in any CCR.

Unless the batteries are in the handsets or HUD external module etc, but then that brings its own set of issues.........is the cabling used potted (leak or gas path), size of battery, duration, redundancy etc etc.

Open batteries in a loop are a no no ......agreed.

Pays your money, takes your choice

David.

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post

Oft cited as an advantage for the Meg is the short and direct path for the major current draw that is the solinod. Also the batteries are in a warm and protected place. If the cables are cut or damaged the thing keeps on ticking. Witness Leon's silly video.

Peter
    Have seen the video and since I don't dive a Meg I have a question. If the cable is cut what is controlling the solenoid?

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDiver  View Original Post
    Have seen the video and since I don't dive a Meg I have a question. If the cable is cut what is controlling the solenoid?
    The handset is only a display....think of it like your home desktop computer. The monitor is the same as the handset. The computer still operates if you unplug the monitor.

John

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

So what you are saying is the handset is a display only and does not control the solenoid. What do you use to program the set points if its not with a handset?

Nils Möllerström nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    The handset is only a display....think of it like your home desktop computer. The monitor is the same as the handset. The computer still operates if you unplug the monitor.

John
    Inspiration Vision and Evolution work the same way. If the handset dies for some reason you can continue the dive as long as you have two green on the HUD. Whether one would continue, finish the dive or abort to bailout is a completeley different question.

/nils

RBW Member Hk101gr is on a distinguished road Hk101gr is on a distinguished road Hk101gr's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDiver  View Original Post
    So what you are saying is the handset is a display only and does not control the solenoid. What do you use to program the set points if its not with a handset?
    You use the handset as an interface devise ie keyboard and monitor. The processor and batteries are in the head. if you remove the handset the processor works with the last input you made.

Dimitris

Hammerhead Hybrid

Thanks, I now understand the difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast