+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

What are the pros and cons for having the electronics battery inside the loop of a RB vs. having it external?

What are the pros and cons of having all the power coming from the handsets?

I already have my own personal thoughts and opinions on this matter. I am not trying to provoke another fight, but rather to increase my knowledge in this area.

I am thinking mainly about the differences between the hh and the Meg after finally seeing a hh in person and talking to the diver.

Hell, throw in a discussion of having a seperate battery canister for the solenoid like the rEvo has too if you want.

I don't give a rats butt about what brand of electronics it is, just the power source locations and the reasons why. We all know my thoughts on the various electronics.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Re: I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

Might be a bit problematic if by some chance the battery leaks or explodes/catches fire in the loop.

You need to open up the loop to turn the electronic/battery on. Now you need to do another positive and negative check.

If you cut the cable from your handset to the head then the solenoid looses power.

Cannot turn the power off while diving if battery is in the loop.

Can turn off the power while diving if the battery is in the handset but will most likely flood the handset.

Not saying any of these are highly probably just throwing them out.

John

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    I am thinking mainly about the differences between the hh and the Meg after finally seeing a hh in person and talking to the diver.

Hell, throw in a discussion of having a seperate battery canister for the solenoid like the rEvo has too if you want.
    This should be an interesting thread....

Note that this has always been a conversation point for Inspiration divers since the origional battery compartment in the loop was not sealed so to speak and would show some corrosion sometimes. (My first rig was a YBOD Classic that I got many a happy dive out of...)

The origional Prism has a battery remote from the display devices in the head but not in the loop also...

Dive Safe.. Mark
    Last edited by diverklondike; 2nd April 2013 at 01:50.

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

Can we throw in rechargeable vs single use while in the loop? Is there any additional risk?

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    This should be an interesting thread....

Note that this has always been a conversation point for Inspiration divers since the origional battery compartment in the loop was not sealed so to speak and would show some corrosion sometimes. (My first rig was a YBOD Classic that I got many a happy dive out of...)

The origional Prism has a battery remote from the display devices in the head but not in the loop also...

Dive Safe.. Mark
    Mark you will also remember the YBOD battery bounce issue which was suspected but not verified as being a contributing factor to some accidents.

John

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Perhaps a fine point, but the Meg batteries are in two sealed boxes that are in the loop. It could be said that the batteries are not in the loop?

Oft cited as an advantage for the Meg is the short and direct path for the major current draw that is the solinod. Also the batteries are in a warm and protected place. If the cables are cut or damaged the thing keeps on ticking. Witness Leon's silly video.

In the Meg head there are few connections. Two battery conectors that are sealed and fairly robust, and the molex connectors to the cells. The battery switches are magnetic, so no terminals or conectors there. Some non Meg divers hate that the switches are not easly reached. Most of us turn the thing on in the morning and off at night.

I think there are more connectors in the HH head. Having never seen one I could be FOS. However I think there are many threads about battery problems on the various units that sport batteries in the hand sets. Not so many for the Meg.

Peter

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I have never been comfortable with the idea of batteries in the loop. No how, no way. It might be pure emotion rather than logic, but some things just shouldn't mix.

My original concern was that the batteries and their connectors are exposed to high humidity and possible caustic. But the bigger concern is not the loop affecting the batteries, it's the batteries affecting the loop. As John pointed out, batteries leak, explode and catch fire. They have some nasty stuff in them that should not be breathed.

Yes, Peter, the batteries in all those units are in sealed compartments. And I would say they are not in the loop........ if things go according to plan. But design has to take "what if" into account. Batteries leak and explode. I am just not comfortable exposing the "sealed compartment" to the stress of leaking acid and the pressure of an explosion. Maybe they are strong enough, maybe not. But if it blows, you're breathing that crap.

I can definitely see the advantage of a separate power source for computer and solenoid, but frankly it has not been a problem for me except one time when I didn't change the battery when I should have. Not a big deal. If it craps out, you run the unit manually and use your standalone fixed pO2 computer to keep track of your deco.

Bottom line - I still don't like the idea of batts in the loop, but I could get over it.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Seems the high percentage of O2 combined with an ignition source would make for some interesting but brief fireworks. Personally, I would be more concerned with lithium batteries/thermal runaway.

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

There are zero pros for having the batteries inside the loop. There are zero negatives to having the batteries outside the loop. Maybe the new bus systems add some variables to that that I don't know about though.
    I have a blank HH head for cheap that you can get wired with whatever you want (shearwaters, HH displays, etc...) if you're looking for one.

RBW Member NickK has a spectacular aura about NickK has a spectacular aura about NickK has a spectacular aura about NickK has a spectacular aura about NickK has a spectacular aura about NickK's Avatar

[QUOTE=jkaterenchuk;429365]Might be a bit problematic if by some chance the battery leaks or explodes/catches fire in the loop.

For me the only disadvantage of having lithium battery inside Evo loop was terrible off-gassing which finally was fixed by installing new, hermetically sealed (according APD to 11 ATA) battery compartment. This also prevents battery from direct contact with caustic cocktail in the loop if such event happened.
    As mentioned before short wires introduce lower power loss (less voltage drop) on controller(s) and solenoid and, less chance to damage (loss) the power supply connection.
    "if by some chance the battery leaks or explodes/catches fire" - if such thing ever happened it will be problematic regardless where battery is.
    But, honestly, how many people actually saw burst in flames, exploded or leaked non-rechargeable lithium battery in sealed compartment? In my 42 years in electronics I did not see one.

Dive safe,
    Nick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast