+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Accidents and Incidents

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Re: Accidents and Incidents

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Formerly, new threads in this section needed moderator approval prior to a new thread or post becoming publicly posted. We have removed this restriction.

You may now post freely in this section. Please use some common sense. Try to refrain from posting names, unless confirmed by a valid media source.
    Good call. Other than "geeking out" on gear, the accidents and incidents section is probably the most valuable part of this forum. I always think it is productive to talk about the many ways that people can and do die on rebreathers. Thanks.

Dive Addicts Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton's Avatar
    Hammerhead, P2, SF2, Flex, Evo

Inspo, Sent, Optima, Mk15, Dol

I agree with both sides. I am nervous after having a friends family find out about his death via facebook because people couldn't wait to post. The accidents and incidents is one of the most educational forums and I hope that people are cautious of a divers family before posting.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thornton  View Original Post
    I agree with both sides. I am nervous after having a friends family find out about his death via facebook because people couldn't wait to post. The accidents and incidents is one of the most educational forums and I hope that people are cautious of a divers family before posting.

That is the problem; people have proven themselves time and time again not to use tact to the point of even accusing instructors of killing students. (Banned from here now because of that reason)

Yes the Accidents and Incidents section is very valuable to learn from.

But at the same time it can be very damaging to the loved ones or close dive friends. Tempers and feelings are easily heightened when those with less couth make inaccurate accusations. (and it will happen)

If this section is left open to post, It must be watched very close and heavily moderated.

Latvian Baron Baron015 is an unknown quantity at this point Baron015's Avatar
    Sentinel

Accidents and Incidents

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Formerly, new threads in this section needed moderator approval prior to a new thread or post becoming publicly posted. We have removed this restriction.

You may now post freely in this section. Please use some common sense. Try to refrain from posting names, unless confirmed by a valid media source.
    Good move. Thanks. More openness, less moderation, always appreciated.

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    That is the problem; people have proven themselves time and time again not to use tact to the point of even accusing instructors of killing students. (Banned from here now because of that reason)

But at the same time it can be very damaging to the loved ones or close dive friends. Tempers and feelings are easily heightened when those with less couth make inaccurate accusations. (and it will happen)

If this section is left open to post, It must be watched very close and heavily moderated.

curt appreciate your thoughts , but i think its peters call now , but if an instructor does do somthing wrong, as in a fatality (im involved dealing with with one now ) i think its all of our responsibilities to call them out . if your wrong then there are legal remidies for that too

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

Agreed 100%. There's zero downside to waiting at least a few days before news is posted on a forum. The potential downside to posting prematurely or inappropriately is severe.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Accidents and Incidents

Quote Originally Posted by quickean  View Original Post
    Agreed 100%. There's zero downside to waiting at least a few days before news is posted on a forum. The potential downside to posting prematurely or inappropriately is severe.
    True. I think everyone sees the upside and downside of having a free to post accident section.

People could post accident stuff in other areas of the forum without having a waiting period bypassing the rule. (This would also be bad but would be unprotected by the waiting period).

It's up to us the community and members to remain civil and respectful with regards to accident analysis. I vow to do that. Anyone else?

One thing I will say is that the changes seem to favor a more trusting relationship between ownership and membership which I believe is the culture that needs to continue.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Many if not most of the accident threads are started after someone reads a news report, and the original report is linked. Certainly once there has been anything in the public realm, there shouldn't be any objection to a forum posting. When the thread is started by someone who witnessed an accident, that is a first-hand account and should also be allowed (with a little discretion about names and certain details).

But sometimes a thread gets started with "I heard about a fatality at such & such dive site/boat/cave. Anyone have details?" Those are the cases that could lead to more moderation being needed because of speculation and lack of facts as well as decorum. So lets all just be a little more sensitive. No points or green is given for being the first one to post about a fellow diver's misery or demise.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

I was opposed to the former owners heavy moderation of accident threads and I welcome the openness of the new owner's policy. I respect Curt's right to run it how he wishes but I am pleased with this new policy.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Many if not most of the accident threads are started after someone reads a news report, and the original report is linked. Certainly once there has been anything in the public realm, there shouldn't be any objection to a forum posting. When the thread is started by someone who witnessed an accident, that is a first-hand account and should also be allowed (with a little discretion about names and certain details).

But sometimes a thread gets started with "I heard about a fatality at such & such dive site/boat/cave. Anyone have details?" Those are the cases that could lead to more moderation being needed because of speculation and lack of facts as well as decorum. So lets all just be a little more sensitive. No points or green is given for being the first one to post about a fellow diver's misery or demise.
    Ken is spot on, the key being a little discretion. I know that's hard for some members, but it's worked well on TDS, and we'll see if it can work here. Members must be accountable for their actions, like any other post made here or in any public forum.

I know a key issue here is 'waiting for next of kin to be notified.' I've always had a hard time understanding this one. First, this seems to imply that the deceased's family is sitting in their absence doing google searches under their name. Without notification of an actual incident, who would be looking for information?

Secondly, let's say it's a random coincidence, or a google auto-notification alerts on the name of a spouse. Is finding out the death of a loved one that much better when a family member makes a death notification? Or it is read about it in the media? A death is hard regardless of how you are informed. Does it really make it that worse to read about it here? 'Well ma'am your husband is gone, but thank heavens you didn't find out about it on Rebreather World.'

Rebreather World is a source of information for all things pertaining to rebreathers, and sadly this includes information about accidents and fatalities. Like it or not, the sport becomes safer when we learn from the mistakes of others. I don't see a need to restrict this information.