+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: New HUD design

Supporting Member nicklinux is an unknown quantity at this point nicklinux's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Darwin mCCR, MK15, Hobo, Flex

New HUD design

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Are you using an Opamp to boost the cell voltage?

Are the trim pots for calibration?
    Yes, I used 4 channel opa4340 and trim pots. But I also wrote some calibration code for the next gen. board.

Supporting Member nicklinux is an unknown quantity at this point nicklinux's Avatar
    Hammerhead

New HUD design

Quote Originally Posted by cys  View Original Post
    You could embed the HUD in optically clear epoxy.
    Its very good idea! The only problem could be is the air bubbles I wonder if there is a way to suck them out from epoxy somehow..

Hammerhead

New HUD design

Quote Originally Posted by Simon A  View Original Post
    Nick,
    Sorry By schematic I meant circuit diagram, I can do a board layout from that, although TBH for a one off I'd just to it like you, standard board and run wire traces. or if I was feeling fancy lay it out by hand and etch it.
    What CPU are you using?
    Simon A
    Simon,
    No problem. I will upload schematic next week. I use arduino pro mini.

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Re: New HUD design

Quote Originally Posted by nicklinux  View Original Post
    Its very good idea! The only problem could be is the air bubbles I wonder if there is a way to suck them out from epoxy somehow..
    Bubbles are less of a problem than you might think. You can degas the epoxy with a vacuum, but I have had good luck avoiding bubbles without doing that. A lot depends on the product you use and your technique. Mix the epoxy, but not too vigorously, to avoid the introduction of bubbles. Let the material sit for several minutes to allow off gassing to occur. Sometimes despite taking precautions a bubble appears during the curing process. No problem. Drill a hole from the exterior to the bubble after curing and inject epoxy with a needle and syringe. MG Chemicals has a well behaved optically clear epoxy for potting.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

I potted my HUD with epoxy. While I always got bubbles they were not really an issue as its a simple 3 x LED HUD.

If you try potting the OLED display any small bubbles will make it harder to read and drilling and injecting will not be practical ( unless its one or two large bubbles).

If you do decide to give it a go I would suggest a test run first so you dont destroy a display.

Use a 24 hour epoxy not a 5 minute one.
    Warm it up
    Mix carefully to avoid bubbles.
    Put it in a vacuum before you pour it in to the HUD.
    Put it in a vacuum after you pour it in to the HUD. ( a 4 stroke petrol motor inlet manifold produces a pretty good vacuum... just run a tube from it to a pot).

If you stand it on its end the bubbles should gather in a smaller space. But they will have further to travel.

If you lie it flat the bubbles will have a shorter distance to travel but may be more likely to get trapped by the OLED.

Perhaps oil filled could be a better option.
    Or just get a tube with a thicker wall. Being such a small tube its going to be pretty resistant to crushing anyway.
    Last edited by Packhorse; 1st March 2013 at 19:26.

Bob Sweeney bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi's Avatar
    KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

Great work! As some may remember I did an OLED version of a HUD (it's a thread in RebreatherWorld somewhere...) a couple of years ago that worked great until my eyes couldn't focus on the display (I needed to start wearing reading glasses then). I spent a year playing with various lens combinations but couldn't come up with a solution that was small and lightweight for a HUD. I eventually dropped the design until I could find an acceptable solution.
    There are more lens solutions out there that might work but all the ones I saw were custom and very pricey for testing. Has anyone seen anything that might work now?

Bob

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

I'll add that practice makes perfect with epoxy. I've spent a lot of time honing my skills potting with epoxy and have been able to avoid small and large bubbles. Dry runs with the particular product that you will use are a must. The syringe technique is just for the one large bubble that has to show up out of no where. If you get a bunch of bubbles after curing, it's time to start over. Keep in mind that different masses of mixed epoxies cure at different rates, and if there is too much of an exotherm during curing, bad things will happen.

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Quote Originally Posted by bobmaggi  View Original Post
    Great work! As some may remember I did an OLED version of a HUD (it's a thread in RebreatherWorld somewhere...) a couple of years ago that worked great until my eyes couldn't focus on the display (I needed to start wearing reading glasses then). I spent a year playing with various lens combinations but couldn't come up with a solution that was small and lightweight for a HUD. I eventually dropped the design until I could find an acceptable solution.
    There are more lens solutions out there that might work but all the ones I saw were custom and very pricey for testing. Has anyone seen anything that might work now?

Bob
    Except surgery/lasik I didn' hear of any... but would love to....

Hammerhead

New HUD design

Quote Originally Posted by Igor P  View Original Post
    Except surgery/lasik I didn' hear of any... but would love to....
    I actually had LASIK surgery 3 or 4 years ago, and it worked great ! I still have 20/20 vision :)

Hammerhead

New HUD design

cys, I will for sure do a lot of dry runs :) before I pure it in the tube with oled.
    I actually really suck with epoxy =), last time I was gluing together some parts on the boat and after two days I checked and it was still wet ;( apparently I mixed it wrong or something ) after that i had to clean that sticky mess and do it all over again.. Well now I'm doing a lot better :) , but still could use some practice..
    Also, I want to try to go deeper with the hud and see if it will hold the pressure.. Maybe there will be no need potting it with epoxy after all. Who knows right :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast