+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: New HUD design

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Re: New HUD design

How hard is it to read when mounted close to your eyes?

Do you have a part# for the display you have used?

What is the ID and OD of the tube you mounted the display in?

Supporting Member nicklinux is an unknown quantity at this point nicklinux's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Darwin mCCR, MK15, Hobo, Flex

New HUD design

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    How hard is it to read when mounted close to your eyes?

Do you have a part# for the display you have used?

What is the ID and OD of the tube you mounted the display in?
    I have no problem with reading numbers on the screen, it's actually provides very sharp image. The only thing i need to change is holder.. the one I used I made for diva and it was sitting too low.
    The ID of the tube I believe is 1/2" and OD should be around 5/8"( sorry I'm away from home until next week, so I can't measure it) I can double check once I get back.
    I don't know the part number, the only information that on the screen is size and communication protocol.. I bought bunch of them on eBay from china :)
    So look on eBay under "i2c oled screen"
    I have a picture of the back of a screen attached. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362022757.883433.jpg

Supporting Member nicklinux is an unknown quantity at this point nicklinux's Avatar
    Hammerhead

New HUD design

Quote Originally Posted by Simon A  View Original Post
    Very Nice:)
    Have you considered making it available like like PPO2.com did for theirs? the free shchematic means if you are willing to spend the time and the skills you can lay the board out yourself, buy the board and use the supplied Bill Of Materials, or you can buy a whole kit and just assemble it yourself.
    I like the ability to change stuff as I go, for example if it was available I'd probably have a go at altering the code to make certain PO2 ranges flash the graphics normal/inverted on the board as a warning. I'd also have a go at being able to adjust the screen brightness (can't see if you can do that inside your electronics pod).

Simon A
    Simon,
    I tried to work with Eagle software but it just to complicated and requires time to learn and understand it.. So to me is easy to call for a quote and have professionals do the job. :)
    Actually, I would rather make it open project, so we all can enjoy it for little money(the cost of the parts is less than $40).I have no intention or time to become a manufacture of some sort.:) my job already takes me away from home for too long..
    Also, I'm sure that my electronic circuit and code that I wrote is not 100% perfect and could use some modifications here and there. So
    I believe if we all invest a little bit of knowledge and ideas to this project it will be great and affordable HUD for any RB unit. Currently I don't have a schematic because I did it out of my had, so I need to make one. Also if there is somebody who can do PCB layouts I can convert it to CAD and have it milled on CNC.

Nick

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Thanks. I have ordered one and will add it to my project . This would be as a display not HUD as I cant focus on something less than 150mm away and I am not 100% happy with my current OLED wrist mount display. It too big to mount else where and I dont seem to use it on most dives but it would be nice to have a smaller one that could be mounted on a SPG hose.

I see you have 1,2 and 3 lines of text showing. Is this fairly straight forward?

Ideally I would like to display 3 lots of PPO on one line. I guess that may require custom characters to squash them up a bit?
    Last edited by Packhorse; 28th February 2013 at 05:53.

RBW Member Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy's Avatar
    GAF mccr,rEvoII

Dolphin,Pelagian

Quote Originally Posted by jcook  View Original Post
    Because they leak/implode at very shallow depths, proper lenses that can handle pressure are hard to make/expensive, and are hard to read for some. I would be pleasantly surprised if his HUD could go past 100m and not leak.
    I think you would be pleasantly surprised

Hammerhead

New HUD design

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Thanks. I have ordered one and will add it to my project . This would be as a display not HUD as I cant focus on something less than 150mm away and I am not 100% happy with my current OLED wrist mount display. It too big to mount else where and I dont seem to use it on most dives but it would be nice to have a smaller one that could be mounted on a SPG hose.

I see you have 1,2 and 3 lines of text showing. Is this fairly straight forward?

Ideally I would like to display 3 lots of PPO on one line. I guess that may require custom characters to squash them up a bit?
    I hear you, it takes my eyes about second or two to focus on close object after looking at far.. I use 2 lines on the screen but it's possible to run 4 with the smaller fonts. The code is very easy, you should be able to figure it out in a minute :)
    Also, I tried to have all 3 PPO2 displayed on one line at the beginning of my project, but it gets to small and hard to read(see attached picture)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362055453.078636.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362055481.446188.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362055507.793551.jpg
    Which MCU are you going to pair it with ? One more thing, if your screen will only display half the screen or weird lines etc, check your library :)
    I spent few hours trying to figure damn thing out ;) I stared to think that it was bad chinese quality, but after 6 beers I came down and found the problem in the code...

rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Are you using an Opamp to boost the cell voltage?

Are the trim pots for calibration?

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by nicklinux  View Original Post
    You'r maybe right, i haven't thought about it.. I only did 130ft test dive with it and it passed. but you have a point here! I will have to somehow pressure test it, to find out the max depth it can handle..
    You could embed the HUD in optically clear epoxy.

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

Nick,
    Sorry By schematic I meant circuit diagram, I can do a board layout from that, although TBH for a one off I'd just to it like you, standard board and run wire traces. or if I was feeling fancy lay it out by hand and etch it.
    What CPU are you using?
    Simon A

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

You might give ExpressPCB a go. They provide their own software for free that is also easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklinux  View Original Post
    I tried to work with Eagle software but it just to complicated and requires time to learn and understand it.. So to me is easy to call for a quote and have professionals do the job. :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast