+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Optima wing selection

www.rebreather.com.br zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave's Avatar
    O2ptima / Liberty / Dolphin

Optima wing selection

Hi all,

as I get prepared to take my optima course in a month or so, I am starting to read some stuff on CCRs (in the Bozanic book) and paying attention to optima stuff on the net (mainly in here). I will probably ask several questions in the hope you guys can help me. Sorry if any of them seems stupid, altough I have a lot of experience in OC, I have zero in CCRs.
    My first set of question regarding wings on optimas:

a. what size wings you guys recommend?

b. exhaust valve a good idea? I personnaly changed all my wings to have a plain elbow but, from what I have seen in pictures, there is a lot going on in the divers chest area (RB hoses, counterlungs) and I was thinking that in a situation where you cannot maintain a good trim and use the lower pull to dump valve it would be easier to just pull the corrugated hose rather than elevating the inflator to dump gas.

c. dual bladder / inflators? I have one wing like that (super) and I can't remember the last time I used it. Any advantages in this design with the optima? Also, I dive a dry suit.

d. what about plates? steel, aluminum, or soft?

safe diving,

Zé.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Re: Optima wing selection

Quote Originally Posted by zmcave
    a. what size wings you guys recommend?

I wrote a post on this back when I was searching as well. Look into that. I went with the 50 wing that DR recommends.

b. exhaust valve a good idea?
    I took off the pull dump.

c. dual bladder / inflators?
    I went with the single wing but I dive dry.

d. what about plates? steel, aluminum, or soft?
    I went with an aluminum backplate that I was already using for open circuit.

Meg dealer / IT MikeNetto will become famous soon enough MikeNetto will become famous soon enough MikeNetto will become famous soon enough MikeNetto's Avatar
    Meg, Pathfinder, Sentinel, MK6

Optima and Inspiration

Hey Ze,

I tried many wings on my unit and one of the best is the Venture but don't give you to much lift; is enough for like a 2 x 40 cf or a single 80 cf stage.
    If you plan some deep trimix using heavy stages with out dry suit the option would be the Rec Wing. Lamar use this model on his unit and he is pretty happy.
    I personally don't like double wing because is to bulk and you just use it for some special dives (deep/long dive with out dry suit); what I do in this case, is put two single wings together like a Rec and Venture, the second (on the top) off those 2 will be mounted with the inflator on the right and reverse the inflator.
    Cheers buddy,
    Michael Netto - www.megalodonbrasil.com.br
    ISC Megalodon CCR Dealer and IT
    Sentinel and Cislunar MK6 CCR Instructor
    IANTD and TDI CCR Trimix and CCR Cave Instructor

www.rebreather.com.br zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave's Avatar

thanks guys! I might use a rec wing that I have and rarely use...

Bloody Rebreathers! Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell's Avatar
    O2ptima, Sentinel, Prism 2

Inspiration & KISS & Poseidon

I too am using the Rec wing with my dry suit, and the dual rec wing when diving a wet suit.

I use both of the above with the transpac harness with sidemounted bailout.

Cheers Jason

O2ptima Test Dummy
    JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones's Avatar

thanks guys! I might use a rec wing that I have and rarely use...
    The rec wing works the best for me and I have tried them all. You won't need dual bladders you can swim the optima up fine with a wing failure without it.

Meg dealer / IT MikeNetto will become famous soon enough MikeNetto will become famous soon enough MikeNetto will become famous soon enough MikeNetto's Avatar
    Meg, Pathfinder, Sentinel, MK6

Optima and Inspiration

Hey Ze,

I agree with with JP, you don't need dual wing just if you are doing really deep stuff but the side mount system for the bail out is very usefully.
    Dive Rite has one and you can mount on back plate and TransPac.
    Um abraco,
    Michael Netto - www.megalodonbrasil.com.br
    ISC Megalodon CCR Dealer and IT
    Sentinel and Cislunar MK6 CCR Instructor
    IANTD and TDI CCR Trimix and CCR Cave Instructor

thanks for the tips guys.

JP: please don't forget the HH manual !! :D

Zé.

O2ptima Test Dummy
    JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones's Avatar

thanks for the tips guys.

JP: please don't forget the HH manual !! :D

Zé.
    Done, let me know if it made it.;)

Evo Driver - no standing! fr0sty8 is an unknown quantity at this point fr0sty8's Avatar

55LB Halcyon Explorer wing with Harness and SS BP. Perfect lift.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast