+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arduino project - Co2, Temp, Humidity, and Compass

RBW Member jeffgerritsen is an unknown quantity at this point jeffgerritsen's Avatar
    Megalodon

Optima

Arduino project - Co2, Temp, Humidity, and Compass

My friend has got me hooked on the arduino projects. He is building a heat recovery unit to sense co2 in his home and ramp up the fan speed on a heat recover unit for his house based upon co2 in the air.

Well the light bulb went on in my mind and I thought wouldn't it be nice to build a monitor to check for CO2, Temp, and humidity levels in my Optima head just after the scrubber! I realize monitoring CO2 to determine when the scrubber is exhausted is a poor idea due to CO2 scrubbing is not linear but scrubbing action falls off the cliff so to speak. But then I thought, what if I had temp and humidity thrown into the mix? Wouldn't that give me some clues as to scrubber exhaustion? If nothing else the data points would be interesting to say the least. Finally I was looking at arduino shields and found a 3 axis tilt compass - and it hit me -- that would be nice if nothing else to have a digital compass with scrubber co2, temp, and humidity levels! I have a left over fischer cable ready to plumb into the 4th cell location - so cost wouldn't be that much other than building a case for the arduino and LCD display.

My thought process is as the scrubber reaches exhaustion, co2 rises, temp drops, and relative humidity drops. I'm wondering which leads first, second, and finally last - co2, temp, or RH.

What do you guys think? Would the CO2, temp, and humidity data points be useful in predicting scrubber exhaustion point or time left on the extendair cartridge?
    Last edited by jeffgerritsen; 14th February 2013 at 21:24.

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Re: Arduino project - Co2, Temp, Humidity, and Compass

What CO2 sensor would you use?
    I think just temperature at the end is not enought.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk 2

RBW Member jeffgerritsen is an unknown quantity at this point jeffgerritsen's Avatar
    Megalodon

Optima

I haven't decided upon which CO2 sensor to use yet, I need to do some additional research. Regarding the temperature sensor, the extendair cartridge container doesn't have the room to mount additional sensors along it's axis. However I've seen some pretty small temp sensors so who knows what might transpire. I'll keep you folks posted.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Igor P  View Original Post
    What CO2 sensor would you use?
    I think just temperature at the end is not enought.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

So you want to build a device that detects something that should never happen.

How would you test it?

Megalodon

Optima

Actually its morphing into a rEvo rMS idea using temp sensors inside along the large bore axis of the extendair cartridge, an external depth sensor / temp sensor to calculate a predicted time left on the scrubber. The calculation is constantly updated as input data changes. It just might work!

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    So you want to build a device that detects something that should never happen.

How would you test it?

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

OK, this could work if the cartridge functions the same way as sorb in refill scrubbers. If you put one wire sensors in the main bore of the cartridge along the axis - 5 sensors (for my CCR would be fine), you can get good enough data for the scrubber working front sensing. CO2 sensor is there just for breakthrough sensing and triggering alert for bailout.

Still do not know how to predict remaining time ... some field testing should be done. And one other thing, I do not understand why the depth sensor would be used, isn't same thing being 3m or 100 m deep for scrubber usage?
    Last edited by Igor P; 15th February 2013 at 11:02.

Megalodon

Optima

Igor,
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

The extendair cartridge functions the same way kitty litter functions. As a matter of fact when I think is exhausted - usually around 4 hours of use, I've peeled an extendair cartridge apart to determine where the reaction front is. Usually at 3hrs of use the front is about 66 -75 percent through the cartridge. At 4hrs of use the reaction front is about 75 - 85 percent through the cartridge and the reaction front is pretty uniform. However upon examination some channels are not as depleted as other channels.

I was thinking of using seven or eight senors inside the large bore. I've not been able to locate a co2 sensor small enough to fit inside the extendair canister head so I'm thinking about dropping the idea, unless I can find a smaller footprint sensor. I would use the co2 sensor to alert an "over breathing" the scrubber situation.

Yes it would take some field trials to fine tune Scrubber Time Remaining (STR or TR for short) calculation. The depth and external water temp are needed to adjust TR. As depth increases gas density increases and more scrubber material is used, thus TR decreases. As temp decreases scrubber efficiency decreases so TR needs to be adjusted.

Next step is to get a hold of large bore scrubbers - I'm running low on scrubbers anyway, and purchase some temp sensors to construct a mounting method and see if my idea will still work!

I keep telling myself - one step at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by Igor P  View Original Post
    OK, this could work if the cartridge functions the same way as sorb in refill scrubbers. If you put one wire sensors in the main bore of the cartridge along the axis - 5 sensors (for my CCR would be fine), you can get good enough data for the scrubber working front sensing. CO2 sensor is there just for breakthrough sensing and triggering alert for bailout.

Still do not know how to predict remaining time ... some field testing should be done. And one other thing, I do not understand why the depth sensor would be used, isn't same thing being 3m or 100 m deep for scrubber usage?
    Last edited by jeffgerritsen; 15th February 2013 at 18:50.

TR300c (mCCR)

Hi, sorry for late reply.

Ah, I see, never crossed my head depth would trigger faster consumption of sorb/cartridges. Sure ambient temperature sensing is important for prediction.

Let us know how your project procedes...

BioPak60 Deathbox! rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds's Avatar
    BP-60, Revo Mod1

Arduino project - Co2, Temp, Humidity, and Compass

I'm actually very interested in how the compass module works with arduino. I have not had a lot of time to work with mine, ut this is an essential project for mr for cave survey.

Megalodon

Optima

Thanks folks I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. After give this project some more thought and reading up on the rMS system, this may work. So far I have purchased my arduino parts, books, and locating more 1-wire digital temp sensors to construct a prototype. Currently my issues are getting used to the arduino IDE, communicating (writing compiled code to the arduino module) with the arduino board aka "the programmer".

I'm starting to enjoy this process. I should, I spent almost 30 years writing accounting programs for IBM midrange computers. Anyone remember the AS/400, S/36, S/34, S/3 and oh yes S/360 with 22k of memory?

Right now I'm stuck with a "...programmer is not responding" error. Oh well, first of many!

Next step is to order large bore extendair cartridges, I need more anyway.

After I get communication issues, and pinging the temp sensors, I'll get a three axis compass and add that to the mix. Should be a fun project!

I'll update the project as progress is made.
    Last edited by jeffgerritsen; 20th February 2013 at 07:45.

+ Reply to Thread