+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sodasorb Hoax ?

RBW Member venturi is an unknown quantity at this point venturi's Avatar
    Submatix SMS

atlantis rgu-fm Ray

Sodasorb Hoax ?

just received this by mail, unsourced unfortunately :

For your information and safety. PLEASE PASS TO ALL rebreather divers you know.
    Reference A tested 2 lots of High performance Soadsorb made by WR GRACE & CO. This after 5 incidents of post dive headaches and dry mouth in Navy closed circuit divers. LOT CA08 P122 03 and CA08 P122 05 FAILED the testing criteria. Both failed samples were soft and powdered easily which could increase WOBR and result in canister channeling. This could lead to hypercapnia.
    If they are not good enough for US Navy to use, they should not be used at all. I would check if these batches are in my inventory and dispose and clean the rebreather.
    Reference A is Naval Experimental Diving Unit Letter 3963 SER 03/025 OF 05

does it make sense for someone ? I cant find any NEDU letter related.

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Re: Sodasorb Hoax ?

Quote Originally Posted by venturi  View Original Post
    does it make sense for someone ? I cant find any NEDU letter related.
    I'm checking with Grace and will post what I am told.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

We have forwarded the original posted letter on to the managers at W.R. Grace who are responsible for the product line. Here is what I have been told so far:

1: The U.S. Navy orders 4-8 non-indicating Sodasorb exclusively. They do not order or use any other diving grade such as W.R. Grace 6-12 indicating adsorbent.

2: The general U.S. public is shipped only 4-8 and 6-12 "indicator" adsorbent from the U.S. Distributor, so anything used by the general public would be from different batches than U.S. Navy "non-indicator" material regardless, unless of course someone got ahold of a batch of U.S. Navy bound 4-8 diving grade through back channels.

3: The managers of the line of SodaSorb products at W.R. Grace have not seen said letter from the U.S. Navy supposedly detailing any issues or testing done with any lot of Grace adsorbent . The letter we forwarded to them from the original source is the first they have seen, which is a rather startling departure from how the U.S. Navy normally operates and communicates with its suppliers.

I'll post more if I hear anything further.
    Last edited by saveourseas; 12th February 2013 at 20:48.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

Supporting Member Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack's Avatar
    Prism II

rEvo II, KISS, LARV, rEvo hCCR

The only article that I'm aware of is the 1998 article. Matthew is correct the military only uses 4-8 with the LAR-V not 8-12. I'll ask some folks to see if I can get the original letter or article when I get back this weekend.

Ed
    "Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
    Black Jack Tech Diving

Supporting Member Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack's Avatar
    Prism II

rEvo II, KISS, LARV, rEvo hCCR

I spoke to the folks at one of our dive lockers and read the letter in question. I was told that there were some questions about how the sorb was stored but that as a precaution the Navy has suspended the use of those lots. They are collecting the lots and any incident data for evaluation. It was not an issue with our dive locker as they do not have the lots in question.

Since we as civilian divers don't use that specific product I don't see it effecting us other than reinforcing the need to store your sorb in appropriate conditions.
    "Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
    Black Jack Tech Diving

Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Sodasorb Hoax ?

Thanks for the clarification Ed.

Sent from the heliosphere using Tapatalk
    A is A

+ Reply to Thread