+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drive gas for baby booster

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Question Drive gas for baby booster

I have a Jetsam baby booster that I normally drive from my 15L but some people have said they use normal garage type compressors to drive their booster .If I was to do this would the compressor need to be an oil free model ? just thinking about oil + pure O2 =
    Does anybody do this with their Jetsam if so what compressor do they use ? output etc
    TIA

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Re: Drive gas for baby booster

Quote Originally Posted by colinicky
    I have a Jetsam baby booster that I normally drive from my 15L but some people have said they use normal garage type compressors to drive their booster .If I was to do this would the compressor need to be an oil free model ? just thinking about oil + pure O2 =
    Does anybody do this with their Jetsam if so what compressor do they use ? output etc
    TIA

I have a Sears 175psi 25gal oil free compressor that does a great job.

It was approx 225 usd new.

It also runs lots of air tools... :)

Dive Safe

Mark

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by colinicky
    TIA
    Hi Colin-

I run my boosters on shop air, but like Mark, it is an oil free compressor. You are very correct to be cautious about oil in your drive air. My old shop compressor- your basic 3hp Craftsman w/ the ubiquitous oil lubed pump core- was passing prodigious quantities of oil when I stumbled on a good deal for the one I use now. Until then I could not bring myself to drive w/ shop air. I used air from my scuba compressor.

Keep in mind that at some point your shop air (along w/ all its contaminates) with which you run your booster will eventually “see” your O2 due to wear and/ or break down. All mechanical things break. Our job is to minimize the risk of “exciting” things happening when that break down occurs. Eliminating oil as one of the possible contaminates goes a long way towards that end.

Even with an oil free compressor, you need to be careful. In my setup, I pipe the air thru 3 separate water traps, 50 feet apart. You’d be amazed at just how much condensate appears. If I see as little as one drop in the 3rd trap, I shut things down and let everything cool for a while. It also gives me a chance to inspect for any oil- that should not be there in the first place.

My compressor is an oil free 2 stage, 175 psi, 5 hp, w/ a 30 gallon tank. My O2 booster is a single stage 30:1. The compressor supplies more than enough to drive the booster as fast as I feel is safe, i.e. the booster running at a speed that gets things as warm as I’m comfortable with- booster head, check valves, or cylinder(s) being filled. My test is as basic as it gets: If I cannot put a bare hand on ANY part of the system where O2 is present and hold it there w/o discomfort, I slow things down.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
    Ken
    Last edited by Skipbreather; 28th April 2006 at 23:14.

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

I asked Jetsam about this and they were very clear that the drive gas needed to be of "breathable quality". I understand it needs to be dry too as the seals absorb water if the drive gas is too moist and can cause premature failure.

Neil

Go DEEP!!!! Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer's Avatar
    MEGALODON

Evolution, KISS GEM

Colin,

I have set up our system at our shop to use air from our LP bank system for our booster. Clean breathing gas only.

+ Reply to Thread