+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Why No double O-Ring

  1. #1
    RBW Member Agent 47 is on a distinguished road Agent 47 is on a distinguished road Agent 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington USA
    Posts
    122
    rEvo 3 mini RMS

    Megladon

    Why No double O-Ring

    First, I have never had a seal failure anywhere on my revo. But I wonder why Paul opted against using a double seal on the hose connections. The loop hose is the only thing I regularly compromise between dives aside from the cover (which is double Oring sealed) Seems to me going with a double Oring on the hose would have made it so that every seal on the rebreather is redundantly protected. And I know that a pos neg check will discover any issue here but the same could be said for the scrubber lid so my question stands. If its just a matter of turning a second groove into the connector piece for another Oring I may be tempted to pick up a couple spares and do it myself.

  2. #2
    Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nantes - France
    Posts
    1,426
    rEvo3 rMS

    rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

    Re: Why No double O-Ring

    Hi,

    The o-ring on the hose connector is protected, how could it be damaged?
    On the rEvo1 there was only one o-ring on the cover connection and I never had a leak.

  3. #3
    RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Posts
    1,646
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

    RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

    Re: Why No double O-Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephane  View Original Post
    Hi,

    The o-ring on the hose connector is protected, how could it be damaged?
    Quite easy really, sand or grit could get in there while not connected.
    Plus since it is covered its harder to inspect.

    Still, Im not sure 2 Orings are required but easy to do if you have a lathe. I made up new parts when I fitted my Coopers. I could have done it then.

  4. #4
    rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    belgium
    Posts
    4,073
    rEvo

    Re: Why No double O-Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 47  View Original Post
    First, I have never had a seal failure anywhere on my revo. But I wonder why Paul opted against using a double seal on the hose connections. The loop hose is the only thing I regularly compromise between dives aside from the cover (which is double Oring sealed) Seems to me going with a double Oring on the hose would have made it so that every seal on the rebreather is redundantly protected. And I know that a pos neg check will discover any issue here but the same could be said for the scrubber lid so my question stands. If its just a matter of turning a second groove into the connector piece for another Oring I may be tempted to pick up a couple spares and do it myself.
    well, we could put 7

    but honestly, in design you balance likelihood of failure against practical performance and need

    for example the hose connectors: as far as I know, never has any of these O-rings failed, even with sand or whatever (that is pushed away if it would be there)
    no putting 2 o-rings there means that all the time when mounting the hoses, you will have to turn X turns more to connect the hoses, or the connection would become x mm higher.. for what gain?

    would 2 o-rings be better? maybe, but you would not know if one o-ring had failed, as the unit would still hold negative..
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

  5. #5
    Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deerfield_Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,078
    rEvo

    Defender Optima Dolphin

    Re: Why No double O-Ring

    I just figure it the simple way. Drager has been using P-ports for a long time and the only failure that I have ever known or heard about was from Tienuts (the dummy can't even connect a p-port fully and check it). Even in this case it was not an o-ring leak but rather the whole p-port came out and flooded his unit.

    If it was been so successful for so long, why try to fix a non existant problem?
    .
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing





    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

  6. #6
    RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,952
    HammerMeg

    Kiss Classic, Inspiration

    Re: Why No double O-Ring

    My comment does not reflect my personal opinion about this but I just find it funny that the group that provides for 5 oxygen cells and an upgrade at considerable cost to allow the operator to feel good about how long they use the absorbent is the same group debating the need for one versus two O rings.

    John

  7. #7
    Just add ice & water plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland
    Posts
    562
    O2 Apocalypse

    DIY, Inspiration Classic

    With two o-ring you create an 1atm space between the two o-rings. This makes the tolerances tighter etc.

    Two is not always better than one especially with ambient connection like rb hoses. Flashlight and other 1atm gadgets is a different matter.

  8. #8
    Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deerfield_Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,078
    rEvo

    Defender Optima Dolphin

    Re: Why No double O-Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    My comment does not reflect my personal opinion about this but I just find it funny that the group that provides for 5 oxygen cells and an upgrade at considerable cost to allow the operator to feel good about how long they use the absorbent is the same group debating the need for one versus two O rings.

    John
    Those of us in the rEvo group that are pure genuis, such as myself, think you are talking out your butt again.

    1 - I think the 1 o-ring works just fine and see no reason for a change.
    2 - I do not have 5 cells and see no valid reason for that many other than to spend more money on cells.
    3 - I have no problem using the old system without RMS and using more sorb than others with too much money and a need for the shiney new stuff.
    4 - I like my rEvo, but at the same time think there are things about it that are absolutely crap.

    At the same time I can see the irony of the situation from your perspective, if looking at some of the others in the rEvo cult.
    .
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing





    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

  9. #9
    jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    southeast florida
    Posts
    1,076
    Revo

    Optima

    Re: Why No double O-Ring

    easy just a few more hours to go

  10. #10
    Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    712
    rEvo

    Re: Why No double O-Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    well, we could put 7

    but honestly, in design you balance likelihood of failure against practical performance and need

    for example the hose connectors: as far as I know, never has any of these O-rings failed, even with sand or whatever (that is pushed away if it would be there)
    no putting 2 o-rings there means that all the time when mounting the hoses, you will have to turn X turns more to connect the hoses, or the connection would become x mm higher.. for what gain?

    would 2 o-rings be better? maybe, but you would not know if one o-ring had failed, as the unit would still hold negative..

    I believe Mel had one fail on her old 2 if I remember correctly. It got damaged buy the locking spring buy not pushing the button before connecting to the P-Port.

    That is the only one I have ever heard of.

    Greg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts