+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Panorama FFM Question

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Panorama FFM Question

I have tried the Panorama FFM for the past couple of dives and have been having an issue with clearing my ears. The problem seems to be that the mask fits too close to my face and when I want to use the clearing devices I have to pull the mask away from my face to have the pads get to my nose. This means that every time I clear my ears I have to flood the mask which is not ideal. Has anyone else had this issue or am I alone with this? I do have what I believe to be a normal size face and can easily fit a variety of other FFM but for some reason this one is giving me a hard time. Any info would me appreciated, thanks

Rob

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Re: Panorama FFM Question

Quote Originally Posted by diverrob  View Original Post
    I have tried the Panorama FFM for the past couple of dives and have been having an issue with clearing my ears. The problem seems to be that the mask fits too close to my face and when I want to use the clearing devices I have to pull the mask away from my face to have the pads get to my nose. This means that every time I clear my ears I have to flood the mask which is not ideal. Has anyone else had this issue or am I alone with this? I do have what I believe to be a normal size face and can easily fit a variety of other FFM but for some reason this one is giving me a hard time. Any info would me appreciated, thanks

Rob
    It's a new one on me, Rob, maybe I got a big hooter 'cos I have not had that problem. Have you tried resting the pads on your nose as you descend?

RBW Member schpid has a little shameless behaviour in the past schpid's Avatar
    rEvo Standard Manual

Talking Re: Panorama FFM Question

No, Rob has, as his wife once said, a nose big enough to suck up small animals and children.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by schpid  View Original Post
    No, Rob has, as his wife once said, a nose big enough to suck up small animals and children.
    Sounds like he's in the same class as me then, he shouldn't have any probe with the wipers on a panorama. Wonder if he's using the wrong size skirt?

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Hi Rob, When I fit up students with the mask I have them go through a fitting procedure and ensure everything is fitted correctly and aligned before we dive with it.

1. Ensure all the straps are lengthened to their limits
    2. Ensure the POM or the slider on the bite mouthpiece is slid all the way out toward the diver's mouth
    3. Twist the pose pinchers slightly out past vertical so they don't interfere with the nose when fitting the mask
    4. Fit the mask to the face ensuring the straps are not caught behind the head and place the mouthpiece in the mouth and bite down on it
    5. Whilst holding the mask in place with one hand pull slightly on each strap to ensure the skirt is seated correctly
    6. Whilst still holding the mask in place with one hand pull one bottom strap a little and then the other to take up an slack. Then pull both bottom straps together tightly ensuring both straps are approximately the same length (by feel) and tight
    7. Pull the upper pair of straps together until tight but slightly less than the bottom straps
    8. Pull the top strap only tight enough to take up any slack and only put a slight tension on it. (You can adjust them further if needed when in the water)
    9. Rotate the nose pinchers in until the touch your nose and they should be either in the right place or very close. If they aren't go to a mirror and take a look where they are sitting. Most of the time I've found if the pinchers are not sitting correctly on the nose it is because the mask has not been fitted on the face properly and can be further adjusted with the straps to get it seated correctly.
    10. Once you have the mask sitting as close as possible with the straps it is possible to remove and slightly bend the wire arms which hold the rubber pinching blocks (ALWAYS remove the arms from the mask before trying to bend them or you can crack the faceplate!!)
    11. Whilst looking in the mirror see where the nose blocks are sitting on your nose and determine where they need to be so you can remove and bend them
    12. Remove the mask, hold the lever with one hand and using a screwdriver loosen the retaining screw on the inside of the mask and remove the wire with the block attached. The wire has a 90* bend on the end and it sits down inside the lever spindle.
    13. Once you have bent both wires to where you feel they will sit correctly replace them and refit the mask step by step as you did previously.
    14. Repeat the steps needed to bend the wire and refit the mask until you have the pinchers sitting perfectly. It may take a few attempts but you will get it right.
    15. One last thing...Always follow the same procedure when fitting the mask and it will always sit in the same place on your face.
    Good luck...I'm sure you'll get it right and when you do you'll love the mask!!! Drop me an email if you you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Lance

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    Hi Rob, When I fit up students with the mask I have them go through a fitting procedure and ensure everything is fitted correctly and aligned before we dive with it.

Lance
    +1 very good 'guide-line'
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Thanks for the very detailed info Lance wow that is allot of typing :) I will give it a try again however the mask is not mine so I don't want to bend the arms to make it fit. The mask is very comfortable when I am not clearing my ears and I do like the extra thermal factor as well. I will keep trying but I would not want to make the purchase if it is not going to fit me properly.

Rob

Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by schpid  View Original Post
    Thanks Gord I can always count on you :)

Nick Cunningham-Moorat scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick's Avatar
    rEvo eXpedition

Inspiration Vision, Hammerhead

I had the same issue with the nose punchers on my panorama and the issue stems from my having a relatively narrow face and a smaller size head. This results in your face seating closer to the faceplate on the mask. The nose pinchers are then too close to you face to work and end up impaling you in the face in most positions. The answer is to cut the pads in half and bend and shorten the arms slightly toward the faceplate. I then install the half pads onto the arms. This moves the nose pinchers closer to the faceplate and away from your face.

Worked for me and I have been diving the mask like that for 4 years.

Later
    Nick

Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by scunick  View Original Post
    I had the same issue with the nose punchers on my panorama and the issue stems from my having a relatively narrow face and a smaller size head. This results in your face seating closer to the faceplate on the mask. The nose pinchers are then too close to you face to work and end up impaling you in the face in most positions. The answer is to cut the pads in half and bend and shorten the arms slightly toward the faceplate. I then install the half pads onto the arms. This moves the nose pinchers closer to the faceplate and away from your face.

Worked for me and I have been diving the mask like that for 4 years.

Later
    Nick
    Thanks that sounds like it just may work