+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Gem User Packable Scrubber

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

New Gem User Packable Scrubber

Got mine in the other day, and diving it tomorrow morning. Just finished packing the scrubber.

Some initial observations.

-It comes with a new canister which is a few inches longer than the stock unit.
    - Looks well built, no issues with fit nor finish.
    - getting the base off of the original gem canister is quite challenging. Luckily I had a big oil filter wrench that fit perfectly. My strap wrench wouldnt make a dent in getting it off.

A trick to assembly Mike and I discussed.

When assembling the Gem scrubber, there is a top oring piece that slides into a tube on the gem scrubber, and into the gem top unit piece. Assembly is easier if you take that oring piece, place it onto the top unit tube, and screw everything together that way. the larger bore of the scrubber tube is easier to align with.

I'll post tomorrow any diving feedback.

If you want to be able to switch between the cartridges and packable scrubber, you might want to talk to Mike about a spare base for the canister. Thats what I did. That way I only need to move the hose clamps and mount to switch back to the cartridges if I need to. (like maybe for traveling, or if I run out of sofnolime).

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: New Gem User Packable Scrubber

Did 2 long dives on the scrubber today. WOB was great.

Cost per scrubber pack is about 22$ versus 30-35$ for the cartridge.

Downside, having to pack a scrubber at a dive site, the cartridges change so easily.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to carry sofnolime along with you on a dive (6 pounds for a scrubber fill).

thx!

RBW Member camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone's Avatar

Buy the small containers. They make a small jug which works really well and holds about two fills. It's expensive compared to the 50lb kegs, but you only need to do it once.

Otherwise, a double bagged set of the freezer ziploc bags works well too.

RBW Member Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young's Avatar
    Super KISS

Nalgeen makes all sizes of air tight containers.

Newby Rebreather Diver gemdiver is an unknown quantity at this point gemdiver's Avatar
    Kiss Gem

What did the upgrade cost you?

Meg

KISS

750$. so takes awhile to amortize the cost. You also needs something to cover the bore tube while filling the scrubber.

I made mine on my lathe with 30d point, and it works great.

Newby Rebreather Diver gemdiver is an unknown quantity at this point gemdiver's Avatar
    Kiss Gem

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    750$. so takes awhile to amortize the cost. You also needs something to cover the bore tube while filling the scrubber.

I made mine on my lathe with 30d point, and it works great.
    Thanks for the info

+ Reply to Thread