+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question for our Wreck Diving Kiwi Cousins

Classic KISS Pilot Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Question Question for our Wreck Diving Kiwi Cousins

Hi Guys,
    What is the better time of year to Dive the Mikhail Lermontov?
    What type of conditions is to be expected for that time?
    Live-aboard or Land based?
    RB or OC?
    The sort of Dive times you like to do on her.
    Is she too tight for a DPV use?
    DVP hire is it possible?
    Anything else you think should be considered/mentioned.
    Thanks Bro ;)

Just another Meg diver trimix1965 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix1965's Avatar
    Megladon Apecs 2.01

Re: Question for our Wreck Diving Kiwi Cousins

Hi Rick contact Ruben info@idcscuba.com.au or mob 03 5984-1799.
    He has organized many trip to that wreck , very helpful dude.
    Tony

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

Have a talk to Pete Mesely at Lust4Rust as well

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

+1 for Pete Mesley. He organizes wonderful trips

RBW Member scottynz is on a distinguished road scottynz is on a distinguished road scottynz's Avatar
    Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Rickoz  View Original Post
    Hi Guys,
    What is the better time of year to Dive the Mikhail Lermontov?
    What type of conditions is to be expected for that time?
    Live-aboard or Land based?
    Rebreather or OC?
    The sort of Dive times you like to do on her.
    Is she too tight for a DPV use?
    DVP hire is it possible?
    Anything else you think should be considered/mentioned.
    Thanks Bro ;)
    Hi,
    Brent from New Zealand Wreck Diving in the Marlborough Sounds, Diver Training, Liveaboard and live ashore expeditions. PADI accredited scuba diving and dive tourism instruction is my pick
    I spent a week at his lodge, really good fantastic setup.
    Send Brent a email and he will answer your questions better than I could.
    Packhorse will be along soon enough to answer in more detail, that I am sure of, or silentbob, Petem , Kiwidiver they all have all spent huge hours on the rusty rusky compared to my 7 hours.
    Oh and then there is the mad dentist whom dives it too, as well as Paul Trainor from wellington whom goes there often with silent bob.
    RB or OC , Brent is set up for all divers
    This wreck is fantastic.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

+1 for Brent. He has a lodge at Port Gore and its a 5 minute boat ride to the wreck.
    He does O2 fills and nitrox mixing on site there. He can probably supply sorb as well or you could get Global Dive in Auckland to sent a 20kg tub down.

You could use a DPV for many parts of the wreck but not so much inside. Plus your vis may often be shorter than your stopping distance.
    Im not aware of anyone in NZ that does scooter rentals. Lance from Dive HQ Queenstown used to. Until he sold us his Cudas.

The other option is Pete Mesley and a livaboard. I have not done a trip with Pete yet but I hear he does great ones.
    Last edited by Packhorse; 13th December 2012 at 20:05.

Yeah Brents set up is fantastic. I haven't done a trip with Pete so can't speak to that.

Anytime I've done more than a day trip there I've stayed at the lodge which is very comfortable and convenient.

Best vis on the wreck is winter between July and mid october. Definitely take your RB. Gas and sorb is not a problem.

RBW Member scottynz is on a distinguished road scottynz is on a distinguished road scottynz's Avatar
    Classic

I have not yet had the opportunity to dive one of Pete M trips, but I hear he runs a very good trip as well.

RBW Member kiwidiver will become famous soon enough kiwidiver will become famous soon enough kiwidiver will become famous soon enough kiwidiver's Avatar
    evo+,deep pursuit

I think I have about 160-180 hrs inside the wreck.I have done both Petes and Brents trips.I much prefer the live a board trips that Pete does.I wouldnt bother with a scooter unless searching the debris field around the wreck for stuff the scooby doos have dropped.Inside scooters are a waste of time.

Custom Title Allowed! Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook's Avatar

Another one for Pete Mesley. I've only done that one once, which was in winter years ago, but I'd check with Pete about time of year,

Thanks,
    Robert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast