+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lust4Rust Truk Lagoon Nov 2012 Report

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Lust4Rust Truk Lagoon Nov 2012 Report

This November we had 26 people from all corners of the planet. I always love to see mad keen divers coming together from all over the place and get their teeth stuck into some world class diving!!

Steve Baldwin, Sue Baldwin, Simon Kay, Kieran Hatton, Lindsey Cradock, Tom Hursts, Clair Fitzsimmons, Laurence Hatton, Julian Elliot, Lyndon Taylor, Steve Riley, Garry Hems,Anna Maria Einarsdottir, Rob Royle, Liam Thornes, Nico Maury, Max Fisher, Steve Hubbard (DOC), Nad Quarta, Pete Mesley, kneeling Varun Venkatraman,
    Marc and Phyllis Dennis, Chris Monk and Blair Mott,
    Ian and Fiona Trumpess

Obviously, trying to get everyone into one place at a certain time was like herding cats (hence the three picks!!!)

Judging from the pictures we certainly had a trip brimming with good humour, colorful characters, not to mention some amazing diving!!

There has been a lot of talk about the decaying wrecks in Truk. I guess all wrecks are constantly decaying and collapsing. Truk is no different. The quickest visible sight is the San Fran. Bombs are constantly falling into the hold and now the bridge structure has fallen onto the Tanks. The above shot I took in June 2011 and the one on the right Nov 2012. it is easy to see the damage. For me personally, its all part of it. Wrecks fall apart, end up as a pike of orange sand, but hopefully we get to enjoy the wrecks a bit, take some picks to document them.

The Fujikawa has also been in the wars! and not from natural causes!!! There were reports of dinamite fishing on it causing quite a bit of damage. You can see the bridge badly damaged and also lots of collapsed steel into the engineroom. Pick on the right shows the top level. I understand about the natural influences of wrecks breaking down, but dynamite fishing? Not cool, not cool at all!

Just sometimes, you get a real opportunity to do something quite extraordinary. This trip was one of those trips. Had a mate of mine - Ev Kovacs doing some work on a ship at the same time as I was in Truk. We caught up at the dive resort when they were off diving. Later on in the week we ended up on the San Fran... and so were they with the Deep Submersible. Just swimming around with this was so cool. Theres nothing like being in the water amongst it, but you have to admit that those things are seriously cool!

This ship - the Futagami Maru, a patrol boat, I had never dived before, uncovered a few nice opportunities!! Sitting in 17m of water she was a cracker. Infact we also did the Suzuki on the same dive. Chonky said that it was only 50 odd meters away. So when we finished with the Futugami we found Chonkys line from his reel and we followed it...... it finished and my reel was attached to it (75m) we followed it....... my reel finished.... then the drop lines were joined to it........ we followed it...... it finished... the anchor line was joined to it....... we followed it. HEY!!! the Suzuki!!!!! It wasnt 50m away!!!!!!! Bloody glad I had my Minnus Scooter!!

Yet another little beauty was on the Sankisan Maru. Now all these wrecks are shallow water wrecks but the fun had on them was off the charts!! Max Gleeson gave me this little bit of intel!! (Thanks Max!) About 40m away from the shotline across the sand we came across the prop and rudder. Just sitting there....

Truk Lagoon, Ultimate wreck diving, Lust4Rust Nov 2012 Trip report
    I have a full report on my site with more picks.

Had a great trip. Loved the people I met, friendships built, future diving expeditions schemed over a cheaky merlot!!!!

Looking forward to doing it all again in May & Nov 2013!!!!!

Pete

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Re: Lust4Rust Truk Lagoon Nov 2012 Report

Quote 100%, it was a great trip, and very good company. I say here hallo to all, it was a pleasure.

While Pete followed the line from the Patrol Boat I was in tow and got the bailout reg to freeflow so...what can I say...the Minnus is really top of the top.

Last but not least Pete's organisation and disponibility to help and fix is really high level so I can just suggest everyone to join Lust4Rust for one of the many trips.

See you soon mate.

Nad

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

Was a great trip, just need to resolve the Tonic crisis for next time.

Some more photos: http://ccgi.hooya.plus.com/Chuuk 2012/

S

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Pete, A wonderfully organized trip.

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Thanks for everyones kind words. Great shots Simon!!

Pete

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Very nice photos, Simon!

RBW Member Magnick is an unknown quantity at this point Magnick's Avatar
    Sentinel; Ouroboros

Quote Originally Posted by petemes  View Original Post
    Had a great trip. Loved the people I met, friendships built, future diving expeditions schemed over a cheaky merlot!!!!
    Pete
    Hi Pete,
    can't wait for the next trip.
    Hope you still have your sticker!

And don't forget: Chuck onbord dil is sufficient bailout gaz
    Nico

Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Magnick  View Original Post
    Hi Pete,

Nico
    Me too Nico. Its going to be epic!!

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by Magnick  View Original Post
    Hi Pete,

Nico
    Yeah yeah, it's a pity that CN wasn't on the SanFran when you bailed out then...

RBW Member Inverted_Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Inverted_Diver's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

Sounds great; thanks for the write up.

Can't wait to do Truk again, this time not on OC (albeit tec).

The idea of hitting some deeper / less visited wrecks on CC sounds great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast