+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Out of Date sofnolime 797

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

Re: Out of Date sofnolime 797

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    Interesting. What do they expect to happen to the sorb in 1 hour at 1ATA?
    It will absorb the vast amount of CO2 in the surrounding air and then dry up and fade away...

Just like you must use the prepacked 797 within 24 hours after opening. Ehhh...But wait....Didn't we just have a cobra that could store packed (and thereby opened/exposed) sofno for up to a year in the breather?

Now I am confused

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzson.Meg  View Original Post
    What is the time u normalt can have ŗ new can of sorb before it expires.
    I am brand new in the game just got my meg 2 days ago so I have never naught any products before.

Hi, a keg of sofno has approx 12-15 months of expiry when purchased. It does have a last sale date I believe

Or are you wondering about a packed can and how long it will be good for?

Well, I guess one don't pack a can just for fun, you pack it because you are planning to dive

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Out of Date sofnolime 797

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppe_E  View Original Post
    Hi, a keg of sofno has approx 12-15 months of expiry when purchased. It does have a last sale date I believe

Or are you wondering about a packed can and how long it will be good for?

Well, I guess one don't pack a can just for fun, you pack it because you are planning to dive
    Sofnolime 797 has an expiry date of 5 years. You really should check your facts before you post.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Sofnolime 797 has an expiry date of 5 years. You really should check your facts before you post.

Really? I was almost certain that my kegs are marked with 15 months from purchase. Surely not 5 years, but I will have a look and at the same time apologize for the misleading information in my previous post if this is the case.

unknown diver cyphercube is an unknown quantity at this point cyphercube's Avatar

I realize this comes a bit late, but I have been diving some old US Navy sofnolime, don't know if it was 797, as the labels rotted off probably a decade ago. However, the printing on the plastic says 812 mesh D grade. Probably similar product.
    In short, they all were stored outside, in the jungle, without any kind of supervision, probable temperature range from 60-90 degrees, in mostly shaded conditions. One of them was only half full. All expiry dates were year 2000-2001. I dove an unopened keg first, then the half keg, and have noted no decrease in performance of either one. The half keg had been resealed with the original cap. There was one busted keg, but I did not attempt to use it, so no data there.

Note also that I change out scrubber material at apx. 75% life, so there could be a degradation of around 25%, and I would not know it.
    so by my calculations, you have probably 14-15 years shelf life, at least under those conditions.

I am not going to advocate diving expired sorb,(even though the NAV does) but on the other hand, I am also not going to throw out a pallet of kegs just because of a date printed on the side. remember, even bottled water has an expiration date.
    Just my 3 cents worth.

RBW Member MikeC is an unknown quantity at this point MikeC's Avatar

Smile Re: Out of Date sofnolime 797

Even later response: - The primary consideration used to set the expiry date on soda lime is the packaging used. The same material may have a different expiry date when supplied in different packaging types. This is because the primary cause of performance degradation is due to changes in the initial water content. Soda lime looks like itís a dry material but itís not as fresh material has a water content of about 15% when fresh. This water is critical for the reaction with CO2 to happen. The exact water content is dependent on the chemical makeup and manufacturing process but is set to maximise the capacity in the intended application. Thatís why you shouldnít use a medical grade in a diving application if you want a consistent high capacity. If the water content drops below the manufactures specification limits the usable capacity will fall. Conversely if it gets additional water or contaminated before use it will also fail to provide its full capacity. The expiry date is a compromise between the extremes of environmental exposure the packaging may be subjected to in the supply chain storage conditions and the need to provide the customer with a material that will deliver its full deign performance at the end of the expiry period. The material may well be OK after this period but all bets are off as to the guarantee of its performance. If you use time expired material you are taking an additional unnecessary risk as you are unlikely to know what has happened to the material during the whole of its storage life. Time expired material performance is unknown to everyone including the manufacturer and I suggest it should not be used unless you are in a position to actually test the performance before you use it and even then really only for undemanding shallow water training.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5