+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why is there a helium shortage?

rEvo combat swimmer fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman's Avatar
    rEvo

Orca

Re: Why is there a helium shortage?

What shortage, I've got all I need.

RBW Member Spareparts06 is an unknown quantity at this point Spareparts06's Avatar
    Shortages are short term. As the price of helium goes up more producers will find it profitable to capture/process it rather than vent. Markets work, it might cost you 500$ for a 21/35 set of doubles but hell if you can afford it go for it. We may see people diving best mix to save some $$$ rather than standard mixes but then again that is the market fixing the problem. More people will switch to RB's as they evolve and the cost of Helium goes up. Some people will continue to Dive OC regardless, if you got the money to for it.

I am waiting for people to start using He, H, and O for their deep dives. At some point Ne will be come a cost effective alternations to He although a bit more narcotic same as H but price Should be the determining factor so people have choices, not heavy handed governments or agencies trying to force their agenda on a free people.

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Looks like 'Narcosis Management' will be a popular specialty in the not too distant future.

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

There may be no real shortage of He.

Was down in Florida in September at my favorite Ft White dive center. The place goes through a lot of He, probably more than most any other dive shop in the US. It's at least in the top 10 in He use anyway. The owner told me that the price hadn't risen on him and he'd had no impact on the amount he could get.

He is considered a strategic material. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the amount available overseas is limited from time to time.

Convince your governments to start buying up those US Treasuries again and we'll loosen up the HE supply.

Spree Driver wookie will become famous soon enough wookie will become famous soon enough wookie will become famous soon enough wookie's Avatar

I paid the extra special new price of $300 per T this week, ordered a month ago. Price went up $100 a T in that month. I had no notice.

The opening bid at the Amarillo BLM auction was $95 per MCFT. Price settled at $130. I'm getting a Pathfinder.

Too many kids partys

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Prices have gone up here in the Red Sea, the Helium is mined in Algeria and cryogenically transported to Abu Dhabi then bottled and transported to Jordan I now pay 350 USD for 40 Litre J at 150 bar (approx 200 cb ft)

Price has increased as follows:

2007 $100
    2008 $140
    2009 $160
    2010 $200
    2011 $200
    2012 $280
    2013 $350
    2014 $350 so far!

I have basically sucked up the cost and now have no profit margin on selling fills to my divers.

I worked out that you need to do about 50 trimix dives between 60 and 100m (200-330ft) to pay for a decent CCR.

Narcosis level 7 with PSAI anyone? That will surely become more popular like in the old days!

cheers
    Rod

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2