+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is there a helium shortage?

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

Why is there a helium shortage?

Helium Shortage - Why Is There a Helium Shortage? - Popular Mechanics

I know its a few months old, but an interesting read. Should agencies phase out OC tmx courses/alter these courses in order to save gas?

Like everything, the earlier intervention starts the better. Legislating to save the resource/restrict its use - ie commercial diving requires recovery systems if they utilise helium would be a start. I'm not worded up on the other major uses of helium, but I reckon there would be plenty of wasteful practices out there.

Whats the alternative for us? Hydrox for deep stuff?

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Re: Why is there a helium shortage?

Quote Originally Posted by s115  View Original Post

Whats the alternative for us? Hydrox for deep stuff?
    Mandatory CCR training for all Trimix divers!

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Helium use for OC Trimix/Technical diving is not only wasteful, it has no future.
    Even CCR Trimix will be affected one day but for now, the saying is:

The Dark Side is now the Bright Side and the Right Side!

Cheers!

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by s115  View Original Post
    I know its a few months old, but an interesting read. Should agencies phase out OC tmx courses/alter these courses in order to save gas?
    Why should they?

I have no facts but I would take a guess and say that helium used in recreational (as in not commercial) scuba accounts for a very small % of tital helium useage.

I also cant see training agencies cutting out a revenue stream.

It is simply a supply and demand market. The harder it is to get the higher the price will go and perhaps then more will switch to CCR. But more will also just dive deep air.

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

IIRC, the largest use of helium is for medical use, namely MRI. Tis information is from my surgeon (also a diver) and a friend who's an engineer at OSU. I'm sure diving uses a small percentage but I can see us being the first to be taxed and portioned out.

There is always a "maybe" CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT RMS

Inspiration

The Helium Shortage is actually a byproduct of the financial and economic crisis, as it is a byproduct of the natural gas industry more than 30% from Texas and their production went down in the crisis.

So the tightness in helium supply is artificial, not directly linked to weak resources and will be temporarily as there will come more plants on the helium market in other countries soon.

In fact most of the natural gas hasn't been discovered yet and eg. just this summer Germany found out that they have 10 times more natural gas than they always thought.

AND as said before, the amount gas of the total worldwide us of helium used for scuba diving is probably very very small and has no effect what so ever on drying out natural resources.

I am not saying we shouldn't be sustainable with our natural gas resources but is not as black as some painting it but it has a financial effect, though I still doubt it's really worth doing all the invests into a CCR, courses, training... just to save a few bucks on helium per year, you must dive a lot to justify that...

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by CFU  View Original Post
    In fact most of the natural gas hasn't been discovered yet and eg. just this summer Germany found out that they have 10 times more natural gas than they always thought.
    If it has not yet been discovered how can it be a fact?

RBW Member MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent's Avatar
    rEvo micro FT

I have a suspicion that substantially more helium is used in party balloons than for either OC or CCR diving.

RBW Member FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler's Avatar
    Optima

Macy's thanksgiving parade should be banned

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

Talking Re: Why is there a helium shortage?

Not to mention Felix Baumgartner and his 30 mil. cubic feet baloon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast