+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sofnolime 797 in the BBQ?

Serious Swagelok Addict jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

Re: Sofnolime 797 in the BBQ?

No Cat, so no caustic kitty either. I'll just be dumping the old stuff in the rubbish like I normally do.

Doing this little exercise has made me appreciate having a breather with decent water traps though, I certainly wouldn't want to be breathing that caustic cocktail into my lungs if I ever had a partial flood. Someone told me once that the Sofnolime brand of sorb didn't create a caustic cocktail but it certainly does.

The red sign says Irritant to eyes and skin but mentions nothing about water. Interestingly enough, when I was doing the test, I splashed a bit on my stained timber decking and it immediately left a light spot where it removed some of the deck stain.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Re: Sofnolime 797 in the BBQ?

Quote Originally Posted by jasace  View Original Post
    I just did a simple water test where I put a litre of water in 3/4 litre of 797, then mixed all up with my hand. The sofnolime got very caustic and left slime all over my hand and it discoloured my fingernails and the brew smelt like bathroom cleaner. So I figured it not wise to have that anywhere near food. Now having said that, the proper BBQ lime would probably do the same but I won't bother with the 797 in the barby now.
    LOL! I just cracked up when I read that. The best thing you can use "used" sorb for, is cleaning the toilet.

By the way, "caustic cocktail" was a term coined by Royal Navy divers when the highly volatile sorb they used got hit by sea water. The Sofnolime stuff we use these days does not react anywhere near like that stuff did - so imagine for a tiny tick, what a REAL caustic cocktail would be like. having experienced a minor CT with sofnolime I was able to continue the dive. I would not have be able to do that with the old RN stuff. But - a great experiment in the tradition of Marie Skłodowska-Curie! Well done!

In fact, have some green! 'cos your toilet will not!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2