+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sofnolime 797 in the BBQ?

Serious Swagelok Addict jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

Sofnolime 797 in the BBQ?

In the bottom of our barbecue there is some grease absorber that looks like kitty litter. As I have plenty of 797 left after dumping it out of the breather can, do you think it would be suitable for use in the BBQ in place of the kitty litter grease absorbent?

The MSDS doesn't look too bad on 797 but I don't want caustic steak and sausages.

Thoughts?

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Sofnolime 797 in the BBQ?

Quote Originally Posted by jasace  View Original Post
    In the bottom of our barbecue there is some grease absorber that looks like kitty litter. As I have plenty of 797 left after dumping it out of the breather can, do you think it would be suitable for use in the BBQ in place of the kitty litter grease absorbent?

The MSDS doesn't look too bad on 797 but I don't want caustic steak and sausages.

Thoughts?
    Is your BBQ aluminum? I wouldn't
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Serious Swagelok Addict jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Is your BBQ aluminum? I wouldn't
    No, it's enamelled steel, cast iron and stainless steel.

I think I'll run a few tests with some hot fat, oil and some sorb, then compare it to the proper stuff for stink factor.

JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

Tests run and I've decided that putting this stuff in the bottom of the barby isn't worth it.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by jasace  View Original Post
    Tests run and I've decided that putting this stuff in the bottom of the barby isn't worth it.
    Care to enlighten us why?

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by osiris  View Original Post
    Care to enlighten us why?
    After a wind up like that.... do tell!

Peter

Capt/ Instructor
    tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1's Avatar
    SF2 | rEvo

PRISM Topaz

Log:
    Test subject A exhibits symptoms of death after eating hot dog. There will be no more tests.
    Note to self: purchase roll of carpet
    -Capt Tom McCarthy
    Stone Rust | East Coast Wreck Diving
    SF2 | rEvo
    Training | Charters | Equipment

RBW Member MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent's Avatar
    rEvo micro FT

Getting too much grease in the stack?

JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

I just did a simple water test where I put a litre of water in 3/4 litre of 797, then mixed all up with my hand. The sofnolime got very caustic and left slime all over my hand and it discoloured my fingernails and the brew smelt like bathroom cleaner. So I figured it not wise to have that anywhere near food. Now having said that, the proper BBQ lime would probably do the same but I won't bother with the 797 in the barby now.

RBW Member marko1709 will become famous soon enough marko1709 will become famous soon enough marko1709 will become famous soon enough marko1709's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

reading your question first, wasn't sure if it's serious.
    After reading your test results I would recommend going further.
    You have a kitty at home? As you wrote, looks like litter, so give it a try..
    The 797 canister should have a orange symbol on, telling you about some properties..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast