+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Kevin Gurr speaks on the new Hollis Explorer CCR

l MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD's Avatar
    classic, sports Kiss

Azimuth, mccr azi

Re: Kevin Gurr speaks on the new Hollis Explorer CCR

One thing I didn't understand from the vid was how does it keep the loop volume down overall, ( since it adds 2.5 x the volume in ccr mode to O2 used) and for it to keep po2 on ascent how sensitive is it to loop volume. Assume it use adaptive po2 set point based on the feed gas and runs near fo2 (slightly below) at shallow depths, but interested in how KG has envisaged this to work.

Matt

Dive Addicts Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton's Avatar
    Hammerhead, P2, SF2, Flex, Evo

Inspo, Sent, Optima, Mk15, Dol

Quote Originally Posted by MHD  View Original Post

One thing that concerns me is bail out for lesser experienced divers, KG implies you will use the nitrox that its running off, and given you could be at 40m on this thing, I can foresee people going OOG on a bail out, I think they will still need to train users to carry a sling if they want to dive at the limit of its capabilities, and again that adds complexity and may result in people getting it wrong.

Matthew
    It has a HP sensor and is calculating whether you have enough BO to ascend to the surface. And I will also add that the onboard BO is only up to 20m according to all the Standards of recreational rebreathers that I have heard. To go to 40m you are required to sling a bottle. Unless those standards have changed. I think it is similar to OW and AOW.

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Wow... Just seen the video for this new rebreather.

With a low enough selling price ie 5000 US, I suspect that some dive operators may buy some of these???...

I am astounded that they have packed all the technology in there for the price.

I am left feeling that perhaps the option to retrofit a bottle of oxygen and side slung bailout and run this as a fully closed unit would also be a good option...perhaps this is coming - thinking about it this could be pretty appealing as a CCR unit..

I am personally not convinced that this unit will make lots of money ... But could be used as a marketing tool for hollis. - it will certainly be visible and get lots of looks on the recreational dive boats.

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    Not all of us are "Fat"

And all "stereo type" images of English Lords and Kings are giant fat plump pom-pas asses. Note I said "Stereo Type"
    about sums me up
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5