+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Gurr speaks on the new Hollis Explorer CCR

Prince of darkness Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: Kevin Gurr speaks on the new Hollis Explorer CCR

Quote Originally Posted by stuey  View Original Post
    He also states that it can only be filled by dive centre's and instructors, curious to see how they would control this.
    Having a 16 year old tank monkey filling my scrubber, is the last thing I want, I don't want to dive a rebreather that I didn't filled the scrubber myself.

Al

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

The unit uses pre-packed (2 hour) scrubber cartridges. For destination travel to avoid users having to pack boxes filled with scrubbers, and to stop littering the world with expended plastic cartridges, Hollis will make available to resort locations a kit and training to professionally fill reusable scrubber cartridges, using a vibration table or storm-filler and gram scale.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

Looks like all the expense, failure points, and weaknesses of an electronic CCR fitted onto a Dolphin, with the added feature that a diver isn't trained to fill their own scrubber.

I wonder how much an instructor's or a shop's insurance will go up when they become responsible for the scrubbers they fill for divers.

Heck, even a PADI Dolphin diver can fill their own scrubber.

I noticed it had a CO2 monitor. Does it work? Is it available now? Or is this still a concept Rebreather?

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Wonderfully complex and clever but why, what is the market for this?

Can't think of any existing CCR diver being at all interested (espeacially if you get ripped off with another course just to pack the scrubber- no way would you ever dive with a scrubber packed by a shop monkey!)

So it must be for recreational single tank brigade? I emailed the video to a few club members- all thought it unimaginably pointless.

Clearly Hollis must have spent a fortune on market research, makes you wonder who they asked?!

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    If the scrubber is not fully filled it will not push the green valve.

If the green valve is not pushed you can not breath through the loop as it is blocked closed
    Ah, ok. The idiot gets to live another day then. My bad.

CEO - TSS John Falcone will become famous soon enough John Falcone will become famous soon enough John Falcone will become famous soon enough John Falcone's Avatar
    KISS Classic

The Explorer is a newer style of rebreather not really made to replace your current unit out there, but give you a different option in the world. The unit is designed to be used in less then 130ft of water, for 2 hours or less of dive time and use a 32% or 36% nitrox mix. More of a rebreather unit, that will keep it safe and keep it simple for a new Rebreather diver. At a price ready to go with harness and computer for less than 5k it will not go unnoticed by other manufactures.

As for someone else packing the scrubber, I think this comes from training agencies requiring that scrubers must be professional packed or use a cartridge which will be available through your Hollis dealers. Of course just like how we picked our instructors to teach us because of there knownledge and or price, you will have to find a shop with the smart monkey, or just use cartridges.
    Yes, the CO2 monitor works, it has the same one as the sentinal, designed by Kevin Gurr.

New technology is a good thing for all of us. It's the way of the world. Let someone else come up with the ideas and then everyone else jumps on the technology to build on it and create more new items. If you don't agree just look at how many ipad look a likes there are now.
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 22nd November 2012 at 17:27.

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-limits  View Original Post
    Having a 16 year old tank monkey filling my scrubber, is the last thing I want, I don't want to dive a rebreather that I didn't filled the scrubber myself.

Al
    +1 on that one....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    Nice. Some clever ideas there.
    +1. it seems that the technology eventually will get there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun Under Pressure  View Original Post
    From what i have seen and hear, K. Gurr seems to be a very clever engineerer, oh my goodness my 5 years old meg (and espacily the electronics) looks like an old classic car, but anyway i like diving my "classic car/rebreather"......

Looks really cool and congrats to the team to produce such a unit.
    i also like the "classics" my friend.... but, it these were on a meg.......

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post

Can't think of any existing CCR diver being at all interested (espeacially if you get ripped off with another course just to pack the scrubber- no way would you ever dive with a scrubber packed by a shop monkey!)

So it must be for recreational single tank brigade? I emailed the video to a few club members- all thought it unimaginably pointless.

Clearly Hollis must have spent a fortune on market research, makes you wonder who they asked?!
    Ben, the Explorer is meant to be a "recreational unit" only and certainly not meant to replace any technical rebreather. Of course, there will be many who feel that the market does not need or want a recreational rebreather, but I suspect that the price point (approximately $4500 USD) will be a game changer for the industry with regards to that segment of the market.

It's a very smart unit and hopefully one that will help open more doors worldwide for CCR divers who travel as more and more resorts and dive operations start to conceptually embrace CCR diving. It would very nice to have more options around the world for us traveling CCR divers!

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post

Ben, IMO your absolutely incorrect.

I myself would dive this unit if it was available in a dive resort destination. I do not think you are required to have the unit packed by a "shop Monkey", if you own one and have been fully trained on the unit.

Thus the "packing by a shop monkey" argument in complete BS.

Yes, the unit is designed 100% for the recreational market, thus if someone considers themselves above that category, fly in with your own rebreather, scrubber, diluent, and oxygen.

We are not diving the Britannic, we are looking at pretty fish.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by John Falcone  View Original Post
    Yes, the CO2 monitor works, it has the same one as the sentinal, designed by Kevin Gurr.
    How do you know the CO2 sensor works?

It has been on the Sentinel for over a year and I have seen very little mentioned (or nothing) about it on any of the forums. Usually, when divers do not post about how great something is regarding CCR's it is because it does not work very well.

One would think with CO2 being such a big issue with diving a CCR that once a CCR had a CO2 sensor there would be all kinds of accolades posted by divers as opposed to marketing claims.

John