+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About to try a Dolphin, any tips or insights?

RBW Member kpalas is an unknown quantity at this point kpalas's Avatar

About to try a Dolphin, any tips or insights?

Hello all, On May 6 I will be in Bonaire for two weeks of diving. Rec Tec Scuba in Bonaire offers a Dolphin rebreather experience where I will be able to try the Dolphin for up to a hour at 60ft. max. Anybody have any insights as to what I should expect, or things I should be aware of? This will be the first time diving a rebreather for me and just wanted to draw on some other people's experience with the unit. Thanks.:D

Egbert - the Deco Dancer Odin has a spectacular aura about Odin has a spectacular aura about Odin has a spectacular aura about Odin has a spectacular aura about Odin has a spectacular aura about Odin's Avatar

Re: About to try a Dolphin, any tips or insights?

Quote Originally Posted by kpalas
    Hello all, On May 6 I will be in Bonaire for two weeks of diving. Rec Tec Scuba in Bonaire offers a Dolphin rebreather experience where I will be able to try the Dolphin for up to a hour at 60ft. max. Anybody have any insights as to what I should expect, or things I should be aware of? This will be the first time diving a rebreather for me and just wanted to draw on some other people's experience with the unit. Thanks.:D
    Enjoy it!
    be prepared for the different buoyancy techniques.
    You will hear bubbles being let loose - but it should only be every 4 - 5 breaths and it will not be as many as a normal exhaled breath.
    Do not have the harness too tight. It will compress the counterlungs.
    Relax and enjoy the first step to the Dark side...

Cool, thanks for your reply.

New Member Andrei Yashin will become famous soon enough Andrei Yashin will become famous soon enough Andrei Yashin will become famous soon enough Andrei Yashin's Avatar

And dont forget to close mouthpiece valve before you remove the mouthpiece from your mouth. ;)

New Member magentaseas is an unknown quantity at this point magentaseas's Avatar

Hi

Ive found the breathing takes some getting used to as its constant flow, but that could be personal thing!
    Theyre great units.
    Have fun:D

sharon

Yes, I've heard that also. Thanks!!:D

Holiday diver denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel's Avatar

You'll have great fun, but stop exhaling thru your nose.
    On my first ever dolphy dive I emptied the tank in 20 mins flat.:o

denz.

RBW Member trash is an unknown quantity at this point trash's Avatar

I've just started rebreather diving. Did the padi course because the TDI was not available where I was on holidays. (I knew the TDI back to front). I trained on the Ray which I think is a nice simple unit and excellent for newbies for it's simplicity. I didn't get the chance to use a dolphin as the unit was out of action at the time. So my padi skippy badge says ray.
    My attempt to hire a dolphin to familiarise myself with it so that if I ever want to hire a unit while on holidays, I'd be prepeared.
    But my local dive shop decided he wouldn't hire me a unit. (he had no qualms selling me one, given his $4800 aud price tag).

So I put on my BIG frown that I use for padi drones and asked how much to get "certifed" with it. He quoted more for the 'upgrade' than I paid for the course. I wanted to familarise him with hypoxia, but I took more delight changing my plans to do my adv nitrox with him.

I'm familiar with the dolphins on paper and I have absolutely no issues using a ray. I will probably find myself buying a dolphin or something very similar in the near future.

I consider myself a conservative person. I fly hang gliders, so I'm no stranger to what happens if you fly outside your limits. Am I overstepping my mark with a dolphin or should I consider paying money to people I don't like ?
    Are there any tips and tricks that might be helpful ?

Blogs Admin / Forum Mod sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trash

... snip ...

But my local dive shop decided he wouldn't hire me a unit. (he had no qualms selling me one, given his $4800 aud price tag).

.. snip ...

Am I overstepping my mark with a dolphin or should I consider paying money to people I don't like ?
    Are there any tips and tricks that might be helpful ?
    From your profile it is not clear where in Oz you are, but if you can, spent some time in the "Troll Cave" - aka Southern Cross Divers, Spit, Sydney - and talk to Bazza about rebreathers. He may be able to arrange a trial with other units (Inspo, Evolution, MK15.5, KISS??? ...) Besides SCR (like the Dolphin), there are manual CCRs (like the KISS) or electronic CCRs like the Inspo and others, available. Before you spent the money, try out other options.

No, I am not affiliated with SCD. Exactly the opposite - Bazza seems to get extreme pleasure from taking my money for training, parts, consumables ... )) Nevertheless - try the other options before committing to a Dolphin. Also, there is a lot of reading material on Rebreatherworld - try out the library!

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Dive Dive Dive in QL also supports RB, the divers in Melbourne get together for regular meetings (contact jdz for those) and there some members out west in Perth you clould hook up with, too. ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast