+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Brass

Luke I am your father Deepdiver is an unknown quantity at this point Deepdiver's Avatar

Cleaning Brass

Any one have any good techniques for cleaning brass, to get all the grud off..

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

Re: Cleaning Brass

Here's a link to a GREAT article by one of the best known (and most respected) wreck hunters in Australia, Capt Trevor Jackson, of the MV Esperance Star http://www.esperancestar.com.au

The article is "Artefact Restoration for the Layman" and can be found at http://www.diveoz.com.au/regular_art...t.asp?p=3&a=20

One method that I've heard about, that apparently works quite well, although somewhat... "unconventional" is once the item is cleaned, to place the item in your toilet cistern.

Think about it. Fresh, clean water, that is automatically changed quite a few times a day (in a busy household!!!)

If you have a look in the Galleries of the esperancestar website, you'll see quite a few before and after photo's of some of his "recoveries"

HTH

Not a euphemism! woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdiver
    That did not take long!!

Cant wait to get something shiny on the desk?

Nick, you are a tart!

R

Mike

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

Hmmm, I shoulda asked first... what did ya find?

Do we get piccies? :D

Luke I am your father Deepdiver is an unknown quantity at this point Deepdiver's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Cleaning Brass

Quote Originally Posted by sadave
    Hmmm, I shoulda asked first... what did ya find?

Do we get piccies? :D
    Only a small brass plac nothing too grand but thought it would look rather good on the bathroom door!!!!

Only a small brass plac nothing too grand but thought it would look rather good on the bathroom door!!!!
    I will post some pics when I get it clean......

;)

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    That did not take long!!

Cant wait to get something shiny on the desk?

Nick, you are a tart!

R

Mike
    Mike you know me!!!! beats looking though the camera for a living!

New Member Ian Stewart is an unknown quantity at this point Ian Stewart's Avatar

HI Mate,
    The best thing I use is ASDA own brand (blue bottle) toilet cleaner, this is the best lime scale remover i have found, just drop things in or paint it on and watch all the crud fizz off.
    Hopes this helps

regards
    Ian S
    (northumberland).

hohum aquaholic will become famous soon enough aquaholic will become famous soon enough aquaholic will become famous soon enough aquaholic's Avatar

.. depends on the grud...

To get rid of algae, barnacles, shells etc - use limescale remover with boiling water.

To remove iron/rust - try to remove it manually first - be carefull not to scrape the brass too much

Generally soaking the item in 10% diluted brick acid (patio cleaner) and then scrubbing it with a green scowering pad in fresh water, repeating the cycle as required, also works - make sure you do it outside and wear gloves, or it'll eat your skin too ;) .

Have fun

Anke

:) Thanks for all the advice chaps! I will try it all.......I hope it works. Then the wife may let mw go off again for some more goodies!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast