+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gem questions

RBW Member bigblock119 is an unknown quantity at this point bigblock119's Avatar
    revo 1

gem questions

I am looking at gem among many other things. I have a few questions the first being what is the average cost of training for a GEM? 2 what are some of the tech mods or setups people are using for the GEM for tech diving? 3 How deep are people diving the units? Can I get a couple pictures of peoples setupsif you wouldn`t mind.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: gem questions

The initial GEM course is around 500-600$ as I recall. this certifies you to 130ft. You also need a nitrox cert.

I'm in the process of completing my GEM Mod 1 course through IANTD which will cert me to 160ft w/trimix. I just have to work on my skills and take my final skills dive, probably in January.

The Gem Mod2 course would cert you to 200ft, but that hasnt been released yet. Whether this uses or requires the 8:1 mouthpiece I dont know.

Right now I'm getting the parts to setup my GEM for gas switching, so I can run my deco gas through the GEM (or a deep gas).

I know Mike doesnt believe in gas switches, rather hot swaps.

The 8:1 mouthpiece will give greater gas extension, and be on par with other SCR's that are diving 300ft, but be rather hypoxic at lesser depths.

The GEM is still evolving, but I like the flexibility of it. Feel free to ask any questions here or privately.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Ok, so I'm gonna respond to your GEM question as well as your Optima one since I have both. The GEM is a bit too new and developing to really get an idea of its deep configuration and capabilities. It is SCR rather than CCR, and I hope your initial reading highlighted the differences. You should also become familiar with things like sidemount, and the differences between front lungs and BMCL. I applaud you doing the reading and asking questions.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Dive Junkie Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Kiss Spirit, Sidekick, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by bigblock119  View Original Post
    I am looking at gem among many other things. I have a few questions the first being what is the average cost of training for a GEM? 2 what are some of the tech mods or setups people are using for the GEM for tech diving? 3 How deep are people diving the units? Can I get a couple pictures of peoples setupsif you wouldn`t mind.

1 Cost of training is around $500 for level I.
    2 There are various ways a GEM can be used for Technical diving, from mounting it on a set of doubles to side-mount cave diving.
    3 The GEM was developed for deep cave diving. The GEM Level II should allow instructors to integrate the GEM into deco and Trimix classes.

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Are there any details on the level 2 course or more importantly, what changes to the unit to accomodate gas switching?

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Gas switching requires a switch block (I'm using an Omniswivel) with CEJN fittings.

As I indicated earlier, Mike isnt too hot on switch blocks, and prefers to hot swap gases.

For my class, I ran trimix in my back gas, carried 50% for my deco gas, and a bail out tank of 33%.

My BO bottle has a reg on it to my necklace (and 7ft hose). The reg off of my BG is clipped to my rh d ring. Both bottles has CEJN fittings to plug into my switchblock.

My instructor suggested the BO bottle be on my necklace, but I may not do that, as my rh D ring is gonna be too cluttered with switch block, BG reg, and initially my can light attached there.

Dive Junkie Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Kiss Spirit, Sidekick, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w  View Original Post
    Are there any details on the level 2 course or more importantly, what changes to the unit to accomodate gas switching?
    Dave,

The course material is in review, but has not been certified by the training agencies. Until then I can not provide details.

I will say that the primary discussion in level II is redundancy and safety needed to proceed beyond recreational limits.

Dive Safe,

Dave

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    and prefers to hot swap gases.
    Can you define "hot swaps" ?
    Best
    Philippe

Meg

KISS

no switchblock, you unplug one source,plug in a new source.

+ Reply to Thread