+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Loooooong dives with air breaks ???

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Optima Dolphin

Loooooong dives with air breaks ???

OK, I am planning a rather big dive and am looking to be in the water for 6 hours or more. About 4 hours of this will be deco. I am wondering what others have been doing to manage high CNS with similar dives?

Please only respond if you have actually done a 6 hour dive with significant deco.

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

CCR Newb CaveDive1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past CaveDive1's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Loooooong dives with air breaks ???

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    OK, I am planning a rather big dive and am looking to be in the water for 6 hours or more. About 4 hours of this will be deco. I am wondering what others have been doing to manage high CNS with similar dives?

Please only respond if you have actually done a 6 hour dive with significant deco.

Does a chamber count? 5 minute air break for every 20 minutes of pure O2

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by CaveDive1  View Original Post
    Does a chamber count? 5 minute air break for every 20 minutes of pure O2
    Details of a chamber ride won't work for me. Having an O2 seizure in the chamber won't cause you to drown.

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

CCR Newb CaveDive1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past CaveDive1's Avatar
    rEvo

Details of a chamber ride won't work for me. Having an O2 seizure in the chamber won't cause you to drown.
    You're probably right, but the O2 procedures are the same. 30 minutes on, 5 minutes off. Unless wearing a helmet is also an issue.

I/We changed it to 20/5 because I was paranoid. Doubt it really mattered.

RBW Member Hagberg is an unknown quantity at this point Hagberg's Avatar
    Homebuilt sidemount CCR

Keep PO2 low during the working/bottom phase of the dive, and then take low-PO2 breaks while on Oxygen during deco. Doing 12 minutes on Oxygen and breaking for 6 minutes seems to enable you to stay alive for a very long time. For the limited deco you are looking at you might get away with doing 15 on, 5 off as well. (Easier numbers than 12 and 6) Keeping Helium content high may be beneficial in limiting CO2-buildup and perhaps also risk of tox.
    Antioxidants before and during a dive has likely not hurt anyone either. I like Propel in a Camelback pouch for long dives. :)

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

Dsix36 you don't mention what your current longest dive is (deco wise) and the CNS percentages you are experienced with and happy to tolerate.

If you are a strict 80% man then there will be a lot more "air" breaks if you have a tendency to hit the 100 odd mark then there will be less need for breaks.

With the deco being 4hrs of 6hrs I am imagining it not to be too deep.
    If this is the case I would suggest managing the CNS and therefore the need for air breaks with a lower setpoint for bottom time.

Hope the info helps.
    Wiz

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

What about some fitness routine and preparation?
    I am sure Kim and Peter can attest to that on their big Cayman dive.

Cheers!

donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo's Avatar

Please be more specific with the details of the dive, MOD, Dil. Bottom time, deco time and run time.

As was already mentioned, long dives such as this require lower PPOS set points, typically 1.0 throughout the dive and possbily 1.2 to 1.3 for some portion of the 40' - 20' stops.

Depending on the MOD, it's unlikely you'll have Air to use during the "Air" breaks. if you're carrying 50% as a bailout gas, that's what you'll have to use for the breaks off 100%.

It's almost impossible to have a reasonable deco time without exceeding the OTU's during a six hour dive. Your CNS willl be manageable if your set points are kept low during the bottom portion of the dive.

I've made several 5 hour dives and exited the water far pasted the allowable OTU's. Not too much you can do.

Don

RebreatherWorld Sponsor Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Wear a FFM and you'll stand a much better chance of surviving a CNS event also...........
    You can run but you can't hide!

ISC Appointed Megalodon Dealer for East Australia
    ISC Trained Megalodon & Pathfinder Trimix Instructor & Service Technician
    http://www.closedcircuitdivers.com.au
    info@closedcircuitdivers.com.au

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Don't forget to take into account hyperthermia and the effect a lower body core temperature might have upon the efficiency of your off gassing as well as its a bitch to be shivering for the last 90 minutes of deco.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast