+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Who has first experiences with the new AP back mounted CL?

tha never no's Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman has a spectacular aura about Barnsleyman's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Re: Who has first experiences with the new AP back mounted CL?

There seems to be a shortage of views on how they work? The problem with auto dump senario and the dry suit comparison is that the dry suit does not dump when you are inverted I.e. the air is above the dump. Looking at the BMCL this appears to also be the case.

There must be some way - how do other BMCL designs work there are plenty out there

RBW Member cjs_777 is an unknown quantity at this point cjs_777's Avatar
    Drager Ray

I'm also interested as to why APD have the OPVs facing forward (towards diver), whilst JJ has them facing backwards...

Any effect on gas release/flood recovery?

Chris

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsleyman  View Original Post
    Forgive my ignorance guys. I have few questions and would really value any views and information. The BMCL look great and I am thinking about going down the route but would like to ask a few questions?
    • If you Bailout how do you dump? Reel in one hand - how do the lungs dump from the dump valves? can you pull them where they appear to be under your arms? Why doesn't air get stuck in the top of the lungs with the dump valves so far down? On the OTS I just squeeze them.
    • Can you operate semi-closed mode - how do you squeeze air out of the loop?
    • I am just looking at a new case (Alibox or Titan box) if I need a backplate should I stick with the black plastic which has cracked thanks to a fitting a custom divers lift bar (the lift angle sets up stresses where the hose passes through the case (vision)
    You sagacious advice is sought before I convince the wife that the BMCL are a must
    cheers
    Excellent questions.

Given that traditional backmounted lungs give a negative lung load, Id be interested to know the data on how these compare with their 'sidemount' design with the T pieces left alone. Should be similar to OTSCL I bet.

I also think that backmounts are tricky in an open water bailout scenario as it can often be difficult to dump loop volume. You have to do it around the mouth more, however on a rapid ascent in a dry suit with nearly empty bailouts the ability to squeeze the lungs is a must IMO.

However, the slightly over the shoulder design of the new lungs lends itself to that technique, so it doesnt look to be a problem.

Im looking forward to giving them a go and seeing how you can dewater them and deal with venting the loop gas.

Check out this fantastic presentation on rebreather physiology.

Dive Addicts Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton's Avatar
    Hammerhead, P2, SF2, Flex, Evo

Inspo, Sent, Optima, Mk15, Dol

Who has first experiences with the new AP back mounted CL?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    Excellent questions.

Given that traditional backmounted lungs give a negative lung load, Id be interested to know the data on how these compare with their 'sidemount' design with the T pieces left alone. Should be similar to OTSCL I bet.

I also think that backmounts are tricky in an open water bailout scenario as it can often be difficult to dump loop volume. You have to do it around the mouth more, however on a rapid ascent in a dry suit with nearly empty bailouts the ability to squeeze the lungs is a must IMO.

However, the slightly over the shoulder design of the new lungs lends itself to that technique, so it doesnt look to be a problem.

Im looking forward to giving them a go and seeing how you can dewater them and deal with venting the loop gas.

Check out this fantastic presentation on rebreather physiology.

I tried them and had this same question but since there is a OPV style dump valve on both sides even if you don't pull on that it is going to vent air as it expands. But you should definitely try it with your current set up and make sure it works with how much weight you have on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6