+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Training order: OC first?

RBW Member Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe's Avatar
    Megaladon

Re: Training order: OC first?

I know many will think just the opposite but my .02 is that you should be proficient in any venue on OC before you do it on CCR. OC is the bailout mechanism for CCR so IMO, it is better that you have a solid foundation in OC before you dive caves on a CCR.

If you need to bailout to OC it is very nice to know that it is not a big deal and you can easily do the OC swim out with the gas you have because you have done it many times before.

Karlos (FrogTec) karlos1968 will become famous soon enough karlos1968 will become famous soon enough karlos1968 will become famous soon enough karlos1968's Avatar
    VR Sentinel Expedition

My cave cert is OC but I use CCR now, I don't push my limits, probably dive to the same limits as OC when using one bail out stage.

Plan to do the adv cave on CCR when I have exhausted my current limit, I guess about the same time I get a scooter!

Karl

RBW Member dimitris is an unknown quantity at this point dimitris's Avatar
    Not Yet

Smile Re: Training order: OC first?

was flirting with the idea of caving

an opportunity came up and I ended up getting a rebreather

cave will have to wait for a couple of years i think

ant that is not a bad think

in my mind caves, experience and ccr go hand in hand

RBW Member jknight8907 is an unknown quantity at this point jknight8907's Avatar

Thanks for the input, guys. I was leaning towards doing the OC first, as it seems like for a lot of caves in Florida it could be more convenient to just throw on a couple sidemount cylinders for a dive instead of breaking out the rebreather every time.

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Trimix74  View Original Post
    G'day again
    How long ago did you do it ?

I followed it up today and IANTD cavern course and introdution Cave course both specify only OC.
    Cave course they want 20 dives and 35 hours experience on CCR before being able to commence with the course......
    There is no IANTD CCR Cavern or CCR intro cave, there is just CCR Full Cave. We did the course in 9 days and the standard says minimum 10 cave dives and minimum 10 hour in addition to confined water sessions and land drills. I think we did 12 or 13 cave dives and close to 15 hours on my course.

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by jknight8907  View Original Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. I was leaning towards doing the OC first, as it seems like for a lot of caves in Florida it could be more convenient to just throw on a couple sidemount cylinders for a dive instead of breaking out the rebreather every time.
    No doubt about it. You'll find even the hardcore CCR explorers using sidemount OC sometimes. Whatever is the right tool for the job. And in many caves the end of the line was placed using OC sidemount because nobody has got a CCR back there (yet).

OC is always going to be a useful tool for some dives. It's certainly less effort for a fun dive much of the time.

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    I, too was 3-mix (normoxic) OC when I got into Rebreathers. All my cents after that where CCR! I did my full cave CCR and think that it was the right decision for me, since I would never be in a cave OC! From an economic point of view: why spend the money twice? My advice: decide if you will continue to dive OC cave after your CCR cave. If you don't, go CCR and safe your money.
    I agree to the above. I did both of my cave classes(intro and full cave) on OC. Made roughly 250+ cave dives on OC. As many above said it really helps to be on the safe side when it comes to dive planning/gas management. If shit hits the fan on CCR you would have no problem getting out on OC while still being calm and maintaining a perfect trim. Also OC requires lots of gas in a cave so you wouldn't have no problem diving with many-many deco stages. I feel from my own experience if you are an experienced OC cave diver and build your CCR experience gradually, you will be a safe CCR cave diver. I know I might get burned for the above, but I wouldn't spend money on a CCR Cave class unless I hit the jackpot and my only job would be to cave dive 24/7.
    Very Respectfully

Roland Somodi

sent from my Commodore 64 using Wizard of War....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2