+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diving at Seven Skies, Anambas Islands - 12 - 14 October 2012

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Diving at Seven Skies, Anambas Islands - 12 - 14 October 2012

*Trip Report: 12 - 14 October, Seven Skies on MV Diverace*

Last weekend, three rEvo divers were out diving at Seven Skies. Visibility was unimaginably clear with deep blue water.

On Saturday morning, we did a long dive at Seven Skies Wreck. Davy brought both myself and Lionel for a "Grand Tour" on the wreck. As the current at the other entrance was quite strong, we started off from the main hatch hole. We entered the side door and made our way into the passage which brought us to the kitchen area where the cooking was done onboard. We toured around the dining area, the view from the portholes was magnificent. Fishes swimming outside the deep blue water! Davy showed us oil sludge on the ceiling.. gross! I was very careful not to mingle with those stubborn sludge. We moved off to the laundry area and finally to the other exit. I am very glad that I made my virgin penetration at Seven Skies Wreck. (Start time: 1134hrs, End time: 1256hrs.)

Around 1659hrs, we plunged into Damar Pinnacles. Likewise, we decided to do a longer deep dive. At about 30m, we saw a lot, a lot of fishes swimming around us! Again, the water was magnificently clear! Then, Lionel jingled his bell and pointed to us, sharks and 4 eagle rays! We also saw a school of Giant Trevallies, not sure why.. but one particular one suddenly swam above me. From where we rested ourselves, we could see the thermoclines further down. After 4 mins, we made our way up again to do our deco. (Start time: 1659hrs, End time: 1820hrs.)

This morning, we did a single dive at Igara Wreck. The Igara is a wreck off the East Coast of Malaysia that sank on 12 March 1973. At the time of her sinking the Igara was the largest ever single marine insurance loss in maritime history. Valued at over US$25 million she was loaded with 127,718 tonnes of Brazilian Iron Ore. The visibility here was not that fantastic but still saw a couple of coral trouts, cuttlefish, and pufferfish. Toured at the bottom for nearly 30mins, saw a huge pile of iron ores at the broken midship. At 18m, as we were doing our deco, we penetrated into the rope room. There used to be a nurse shark residing inside, but seems that it had migrated. As we made our way to the deco line, the current had picked up. (Start time: 0733hrs, End time: 0935hrs. Depth: 41m.)

Big thanks to Davy and Lionel for being such great and caring buddies! And the whole of Diverace's crews, be it at dive deck or in the kitchen whipping out delicious meals for our hungry stomach after dives (Khop-khun kha)

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas in advance from the team in Asia!

Last edited by Jacqueline; 15th October 2012 at 23:15.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Diving at Seven Skies, Anambas Islands - 12 - 14 October 2012

Igara is an interesting wreck because despite its huge size thats only half the wreck. The whole rear section was salvaged towed to Japan and rebuilt as the 'Ericlide'

Igara - Drmike's Photos | SmugMug

(Sketch before Darren salvaged the ore)

The 7 skies was my 1st real wreck dive and my 1st real penetration dive.

Lot of fond memories on and over that wreck.
    Attached Images

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

Thanks for the sketch of Igara wreck, Dr. Mike. Somehow, we don't get that kind of good visibility that you had on your album.

Same here.. 7 Skies was my first wreck when I started tech dive in 2009, and each trip I will explore further on the wreck. And, I am glad that I've accomplished penetration this Fall!

Cheers

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqueline  View Original Post
    Thanks for the sketch of Igara wreck, Dr. Mike. Somehow, we don't get that kind of good visibility that you had on your album.
    i did a survey of the wreck for the people who salvaged her so quite literally spent half a day in a drysuit on the bottom taking measurements video and stills - i was blessed that day with good vis, but looking at the angle of the upline the currents were screaming.

I recall once laughing my arse off watching a bunch of DIR kids trying to do deco ascent without holding the upline ("because its not DIR") LOL

they managed about half a meter off the wreck before realising they were being arses - very funny to watch them trying to hold position by kicking lol

rEvo X MFT mCCR

yeah.. I heard about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    I recall once laughing my arse off watching a bunch of DIR kids trying to do deco ascent without holding the upline ("because its not DIR") LOL

they managed about half a meter off the wreck before realising they were being arses - very funny to watch them trying to hold position by kicking lol

+ Reply to Thread