+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report Oct 2012

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Re: CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report Oct 2012

We had a great time and it was thanks to the great group we had this year. The weather was up and down but we worked around it and got to dive the tricky wrecks which was great!!

The majority of the wrecks are now starting to collapse. The bridge of the Fujikawa Maru is gone, the funnel is about to fall off and the engine room is full of sheets of rust which have covered the engine so is not worth going inside any more. The Oite Destroyer stern is starting to blow out and the deck has started to collapse in places. The Sanfrancisco Maru bow has a crease in it where it has settled, the aft mast is down and the rear of the rear hold has collapsed. The Hoki Maru bridge has collapsed even more and you can now enter the engine room and see the engine and the rear of the rear hold is collapsing. The wreck which is in the worst shape is the Katsuragisan Maru and it is simply falling to pieces!!

2012_06_23_2739RSCW.jpg
    Katsuragisan Maru

That's just some of what I have seen as you can imagine all the wrecks are starting to deteriorate quite rapidly now.....They have been there for a long time and it had to happen. In saying that as one part collapses and closes off a compartment another is opened so there is still plenty to see and lots of new stuff. I found a new split in the Oite and found more bones and a skull with the jaw bone I hadn't seen before.

Flying with United is fairly much the same as before with Continental. The only real changes I noticed were that you will be charged $40.00US for a second 23kg checked bag and $200.00US for a third.......Carry baggage has never been an issue and I have always got through with a heavy roller bag and a heavy backpack.

Regards,

Lance

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Hi Lance,
    Thanks for the information about United; for the carry-on bag you mentioned a large rolling bag. Did anyone measure it or weight it and what bag did you use as I would love to take my Akona bag but its too large per United's website.

Based upon the wrecks collapsing would you recommend not diving any of them, Katsuragisan Maru?

Chris

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diverchris  View Original Post
    Hi Lance,
    Thanks for the information about United; for the carry-on bag you mentioned a large rolling bag. Did anyone measure it or weight it and what bag did you use as I would love to take my Akona bag but its too large per United's website.

Based upon the wrecks collapsing would you recommend not diving any of them, Katsuragisan Maru?

Chris
    Hi Chris, No I said HEAVY roller bag. If your hand carry is too big then you will run into trouble. The flights to the Islands are always pretty full and the Micronesians all take loads of hand carry so you need to be quick off the mark to get locker space. I often sit there looking at what they bring into the cabin and would not be surprised if one day someone walks on carrying a cage with chickens in it :)

My hand carry goes around 15 - 16 kgs each and I have seen some even heavier and we have always got through with any trouble.

All the wrecks have their own personality and attractions including the Kat. Even tho it's falling to pieces it is one of the most colourful and has a lot of fish life on it and is one of my favorites. I have dived most of the wrecks at Truk and I have put together a list of my favorites which I suggest to the group we dive first and then decide whether we dive some others not on the list or revisit some of the ones that stood out. It all really depends on how long you have there...Ideally you would stay long enough to dive them all but that would take a while!!

2012_06_23_2719RSCW.jpg
    Katsuragisan Maru Bow

Regards,

Lance

Inspiration with Vision

Lance,
    Thank you for your clarification on the carry-on bag/situation. Also if its possible may I see the list of wrecks that you recommend
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by diverchris  View Original Post
    Lance,
    Thank you for your clarification on the carry-on bag/situation. Also if its possible may I see the list of wrecks that you recommend
    Chris
    Ah for that you'll have to book on my trip

Inspiration with Vision

Smile Re: CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report Oct 2012

Thank you for the invitation; but booking another trip to Truk would ruin the tranquility of my home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2