+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report Oct 2012

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report Oct 2012

Another amazing Truk Lagoon trip is over all too soon and I am back home to the real world again. This year we had divers from Australia, New Zealand and the USA join us for some of the best wreck diving in the world with the fantastic Blue Lagoon Resort and Blue Lagoon Dive Shop.

2012_10_09_4494RCWs.jpg

Excellent vis. Deco under the boat

We all met up at Cairns with the exception of Jean Anne who flew across from the USA and joined us at the Guam International Airport. From there it was a short 1 hr 20 mins flight to Truk where we were all relieved to collect our baggage and then it was a short bus ride to the resort even tho it seemed to take forever due to the poor road condition. Some of the pot holes were so deep we were starting to wonder if we should be wearing our dive gear!!

2012_10_10_4614RCWs.jpg

Sanfrancisco Maru Ammo taken out of a hold

Once we arrived and had our bags taken to our rooms it was off to the Dive Shop’s CCR room to start assembling our gear ready for the afternoons shake down dive on the reasonably shallow Heian Maru, a Submarine Tender lying on its Port side in reasonably shallow water. All went well and it gave us a good indication of what weighting we were going to need to get our trim right for further dives.

Each morning we dived a deep wreck, had a lunch break and dived a shallower wreck later that afternoon. We dived all the wrecks we set out to and the last 3 days we spent revisiting those we enjoyed the most. The highlights for me were the 2 dives we did on the Oite Destroyer and the dive on the Katsuragisan Maru. Like nearly all the wrecks in the lagoon these two great wrecks are breaking up but as one compartment collapses another opens up so I am finding there are new things to see which were not visible before.

2012_10_08_4451RCWs.jpg

Oite Destroyer bow

After returning from our last dive of the trip on the Sanfrancisco Maru we just made it to the dive shop before a huge thunder storm arrived soaking everything and putting an end to our planned trip to Dublon Island where were planned to visit the land based relics. Instead, most of us either caught up on sleep or started making preparations for the trip back home the following day.

2012_10_07_4397RCWs.jpg

Christian & Jean Anne on the Katsuragisan Maru

Early October has always been the Month I have chosen to run my trip mostly due to it being the slack season and the bad weather has already started clearing. This time we had a few days with quite rough seas and a lot of rain and there were more than the usual, number of divers staying at the resort. Neither caused us any trouble or stopped us diving but there was one afternoon dive on the Fujikawa Maru which we were met with howling winds and rough conditions when we got back to the boat. We worked around the weather diving the closer sheltered wrecks on the bad days and then heading out to the less sheltered ones when the weather cleared and the wind dropped and overall the vis this trip was the best I have seen there.

2012_10_05_3472R CWs.jpg

Hoki Maru Bow Jean Anne filming clown fish and an anemone

It’s interesting to drop in and look over the aircraft remains and 15 mins is usually enough time to have a good look at them. There is a 2 engined Betty Bomber, a large 4 engined Emily Seaplane and an intact Zero lying upside down in shallow water not far from Eten Island (the unsinkable Aircraft Carrier) Looking at the wreckage has your mind drifting off conjuring up scenarios of what might have happened to the crews and what caused them to end up lying where they are and how they got there.

CCD Truk Oct 2012.jpg

The Oct 2012 Group. L - R Lance Robb, Shannon Micallef, Louis Rankin, Christian Blaschke, Jean anne Booth, Jerome (boat driver) Estos (dive guide extraordinaire) Aaron Cooper

I’d like to thank everyone for joining us and for making the trip the success it was. As with every trip there are some moments which were the highlights and will be the topics for quite a few conversations for a long time.

Christian, battled with his unit for days with overweighting and it not being secured to himself

Louis, with his “Pixie Fins” and waking early one morning to find a surprise waiting for him

Aaron, our only OC diver (after all his OC buddies cancelled) made lots of new friends and dive buddies

Shannon, always the first out of the water

Jean Anne, who put us all to shame with her exceptional in water skills and her hair which had a habit of standing straight up when she was in the water

2012_10_05_3397R CWs.jpg

Hoki Maru Truck

I have already started a thread for the October 2013 Truk Lagoon trip http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=43642

If you’ve ever thought of going to Truk now is the time. We have full CCR support to take the trouble and worry out of planning your trip. Morning dives are between 120 – 150 min run times for the deeper dives and the shallower dives around 90 mins so you have time to have a good look at the wrecks and get to utilize the full potential of your rebreather. I am taking booking now.

Regards,

Lance

Nutty dentist - uwdriller divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov's Avatar
    homebuilder

rEvo powered inspo

Re: CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report Oct 2012

I can only agree with Lance

great trip, well organized good fun

I enjoyed it thoroughly - epic dives, deep wrecks and long hangtime without getting cold,

bliss

Well done Lance - will come again ( but next time will carry some antibiotics with me as this dam ear is still bothering me ) but hey that's life

RBW Member stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey's Avatar
    Inspo, Evo, Poseidon

Inspo classic, Meg, Deep

Lance

Great trip report, and the photo's, brings back memories, I'm glad the weather cleared up for you guys.

Cheers

Stuey

Luke I am your father Deepdiver is an unknown quantity at this point Deepdiver's Avatar

Lance great report, also some stunning shots.

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Lance,

Thanks for the excellent trip report! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Regards,
    Randy

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

some of the best diving i've ever done... and I don't know about this first outa the water stuff...half the time I think you guys all just hung around thinking the other person still had deco left!!!

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Great Report Lance, Lovely photos too

RBW Member Daren Marshall is an unknown quantity at this point Daren Marshall's Avatar
    MEG, Pathfinder, O2ptima

Sentinel, Inspo, MKVI, Dolphin

Stunning photo's. Outstanding stuff !

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Hi Lance,
    Great photos! In your post you mentioned that an area of a wreck had collapsed was that the Oite or Katsuragisan Maru, or both? Since you probably few with United Airlines any problems or advice you can offer?

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Thanks for the comments on the pics.......Truk is one of those places you just can't go to without taking a camera!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast