+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Side Mount Rebreather suggestions

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Side Mount Rebreather suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by quickean  View Original Post
    You looking to design a rebreather from the ground up or modify an existing rebreather design for sidemount?
    I've been diving Gamrill's sm design for the Meg since last winter and love it. Looooooove it. I've been meaning to put up a post and some pics/videos but have been lazy. Some day soon.

The problem with Billy's design (don't know if he's changed it since years ago) is that it uses spheres for O2. Great idea if they weren't so damned expensive.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member BillGraham is on a distinguished road BillGraham is on a distinguished road BillGraham's Avatar

The sphere is expensive but Billy's system is great, I've been diving it for four years. Mine is a Prism, the WOB is identical to the way it was in backmount and I've had no trouble with the DSV. He's currently got a new head and bucket that is built from scratch and is completely bulletproof. I could drive my Chevy Avalanche over it and it would live. Check it out.

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

Quote Originally Posted by quickean  View Original Post
    You looking to design a rebreather from the ground up or modify an existing rebreather design for sidemount?
    OP is a mate of mine... he is looking for ideas for particular components of a sidemount breather that he could work on/improve/redesign from scratch.

I suggested BOV as I know that there has been problems with this with sidemount units.

RBW Member happy is an unknown quantity at this point happy's Avatar

thanx for the replies guys, please keep on posting,

i have been looking at the pipe design for ccr and how combersome it is for sidemount, perfect case scenario would be to work on the pipes and BOV to make it work. this will be a regisetered 12 month project starting early next year so the more ideas the merrier. i lvoe some of the sm-ccr designs ive seen out there but like some of you i feel there is something missing. lookin to find a particular small project (to start with) and looking for a way to modify it for potential market value.

the main problem i see with the tubing is the dual hoses. the fact that sidemount should be isolated per side and totally redundant makes this mesh of wires cumbersom, though i have to say that tflaris and tm_rthfrd have fund/created some interesting designs but perfection would be to have both pipes streamline, now i just gotta work out how. any thoughts??

RBW Member Anthony Appleyard is an unknown quantity at this point Anthony Appleyard's Avatar

An old example of a side-mount rebreather is the Siebe Gorman Salvus. I have dived with one. More information at this link.

Siebe Gorman Salvus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RBW Member stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey's Avatar
    Inspo, Evo, Poseidon

Inspo classic, Meg, Deep

Anthony

Thanks for the link, nothing to do with CCR, but having been born and brought up in Ayrshire myself I found the link to the mine rescue very interesting.

Cheers

Stuey

RBW Member sebas-SF2 is an unknown quantity at this point sebas-SF2's Avatar
    SF-2 ( Scubaforce SF2 )

Take ā look for The
    SF-2 sidemount rebreather
    Build by Tom from trimix.net

RBW Member Karim is an unknown quantity at this point Karim's Avatar
    Homebuilt mCCR

Here is an interesting setup using sidemount breathers. The diver here is Xavier Meniscus. He's not the only diver using this setup but did some of the most challenging dives on the Joki. He routinely uses 2 Jokies (redundancy), one on each side of the back-mounted 2x12l or 2x10l (diluent). For more challenging dives, a third rebreather is carried along like a stage tank.
    Having the DSV on the side is/seems (I never tried sidemount rebreathers with around-the-neck DSV) far less cumbersome. These are made by Airtess. Tecme has one too. Both have BOV versions.

IMG_0226

Regarding the SF2, I have tried 2 breathers (though not the SF2 itself) based on the same design (ie. with the counterlung at the bottom of the tubing). I personally do not like it very much. As long as you are trimmed correctly, it's good. But if you have to stand up or down (e.g. in some cave situations), it becomes rather annoying.

This is my first post on RBW. Hope it helps.
    Best,
    Karim
    Last edited by Karim; 25th October 2012 at 21:52. Reason: Image not shown

RBW Member happy is an unknown quantity at this point happy's Avatar

ok so decided to concentrate on working on a BOV. was wondering if anybody knows of any specific formulas or design specs for WOB and other parts of the BOV design. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

happy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2