+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Immersion Pulmonary Edema (IPE) at 291'

RBW Member Mike R. is an unknown quantity at this point Mike R.'s Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Re: Immersion Pulmonary Edema (IPE) at 291'

Thanks for the info and post... I'm glad you made it and kept a cool head throughout!

RBW Member jaboothtx is an unknown quantity at this point jaboothtx's Avatar
    Evo+

While we don't have the explicit data for my hydration level immediately at dive time, we are lucky that DAN's research on the tech divers on the boat included checking hydration levels in morning urine. According to my morning urine that day (and every day of the trip), I was hydrated - neither over-hydrated nor under-hydrated. My guess is that at dive time, I was still simply hydrated, neither over-hydrated nor under-hydrated.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by jaboothtx  View Original Post
    While we don't have the explicit data for my hydration level immediately at dive time, we are lucky that DAN's research on the tech divers on the boat included checking hydration levels in morning urine. According to my morning urine that day (and every day of the trip), I was hydrated - neither over-hydrated nor under-hydrated. My guess is that at dive time, I was still simply hydrated, neither over-hydrated nor under-hydrated.
    How do you tell if you're over hydrated by examining your urine? my military experience taught me that clear urine meant I was hydrated. Admittedly that took a S**T load of water to achieve, especially in say the warmer climes, but unless you were advised a different colour I'm interested to hear what DAN told you.

FYI - recently, a tramper here died because he "over hydrated while exercising" - according to the coroner.

I'm wondering, if you have no history of heart trouble which it sounds like you don't, whether your level of hydration did in fact have something to do with it.

RBW Member kierentec is an unknown quantity at this point kierentec's Avatar
    HH, Optima, rEvo, Explorer

thanks for the info. how nice to have Dr. Pollock there in a situation like this (not at all that it is nice to be in the situation, though). very glad you got through it and are doing well.

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Thank you for posting your report and it has certainly provoked me to do some research into it and there doesn't seem to be any clearly defined set of circumstances or triggers which cause it meaning it could happen to anyone at any time and then may never ever reoccur.

I'm pleased to hear you recovered fully and are looking forward to diving again soon.

Regards,

Lance

Evo+

Quote Originally Posted by osiris  View Original Post
    How do you tell if you're over hydrated by examining your urine? my military experience taught me that clear urine meant I was hydrated. Admittedly that took a S**T load of water to achieve, especially in say the warmer climes, but unless you were advised a different colour I'm interested to hear what DAN told you.

FYI - recently, a tramper here died because he "over hydrated while exercising" - according to the coroner.

I'm wondering, if you have no history of heart trouble which it sounds like you don't, whether your level of hydration did in fact have something to do with it.
    We'd have to ask Dr. Neal Pollock of DAN for the details, but for all of us tech divers in the study they were measuring something about particulates in "resting" urine (first urine after some long period without urinating, as in "slept all night"). I'm no doctor - I'm going on his word that according his tests, I was properly hydrated, and neither over-hydrated nor under-hydrated.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

One of the parameters in testing urine is Specific Gravity (SG). It allows for a more objective determination of urine concentration/dilution. The Army protocol (which I had been subjected to, as well) is an "over the thumb" rule. You cannot judge the color of urine to determine hydration status consistently. For example, if you took a bunch of Vitamins before, your urine would look very much darker yet you might be well hydrated.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

We'd have to ask Dr. Neal Pollock of DAN for the details, but for all of us tech divers in the study they were measuring something about particulates in "resting" urine (first urine after some long period without urinating, as in "slept all night"). I'm no doctor - I'm going on his word that according his tests, I was properly hydrated, and neither over-hydrated nor under-hydrated.
    I gather from your response they were actually testing the urine rather than just observing it? is that correct - you weren't doing your own observations? I'm trying to work out if the colour made a difference or not - hydration is getting a bit of attention these days as opinion contrary to the 4 litre a day view becomes more apparent.

Evo+

I gather from your response they were actually testing the urine rather than just observing it? is that correct - you weren't doing your own observations? I'm trying to work out if the colour made a difference or not - hydration is getting a bit of attention these days as opinion contrary to the 4 litre a day view becomes more apparent.
    They were testing it. Had a pipette and a fancy portable testing unit.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by kierentec  View Original Post
    thanks for the info. how nice to have Dr. Pollock there in a situation like this (not at all that it is nice to be in the situation, though). very glad you got through it and are doing well.
    I just want to clarify something for everybody here. Dr. Pollock is a PHD and NOT an MD. Yes, he studies physiological parameters, but he cannot treat any more than any non-medical person!

I assure you, I have nothing against Dr. Pollock, PhD. I just don't want people to think that they have a physician on board. Thus, FYI.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast