+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RBJ September 15th, 2012

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

RBJ September 15th, 2012

Although Saturday morning started out a bit grey and dreary with showers on my way to Pompano Dive Center, it cleared up to be a beautiful day. And, although the SeaPup was not not going to be an all-rebreather dive boat that day, it was the comradery for the love of the sport of diving bringing us together. So Rick Thomas, who gratefully organized this, was there with Henry (a new rebreather convert). Don6 and I were going to be buddies and EAC (Johnathan) joined us, as well.

Because Henry is a new CCR diver, he was back on his doubles with Rick. Don and I were on our rEvos, and John dived his Optima.

We left the dock on time at 0900 and by the time we had cleared the inlet, the seas were just as forcasted about 3 ft. The water was a dark blue. On site, there appeared to be very little current from the South. We all decided to hot drop it and Captain Nick got us perfectly on the wreck.

It was a gorgeous 100 ft visibility but it was cold! We hit the first thermocline at around 100 ft and it kept getting colder as we continued to drop. Through the swim through, it recorded 56 degrees. Brrrrr! Don and I had anticipated this and were cozy in our dry suits with heavy undergarments. The others were in wet suits. Rick wore only a 3 mil which must have been compressed to 1/2 mil at that depth.

Don was able to retrieve a grabbling hook and line previously "lost" by PDC. We had to cut through a bunch of fishing lines to get it up.

At about 25 min, Don and I shot our bags and headed up. Our total run time was 120 minutes. While on deco at about 50 ft or so, we got the brief company of a Caribbean Reef Shark. It came up between Don and I and kept going to the surface. It's fin would have been visible from the boat. Nice treat!

This was a great dive! Now we just have to get Henry to get is normoxic and then trimix done. Rick will just come to see the wisdom of CCR and follow Henry's suit.

Thanks guys for a beautiful Saturday morning. Thanks Pompano Dive Center for taking us out!

RBW Member Fldvr is an unknown quantity at this point Fldvr's Avatar
    Nice report Claudia! We had a great time with you guys! I need to go cold turkey and pack up the doubles but nice dives like this are just to good to pass up!

Oh and cold, OMG was it ever!

Henry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Re: RBJ September 15th, 2012

Great report, Claudia. Good to see you and Don yesterday afternoon. We did the Hydro in the afternoon yesterday and the Lowrance this morning. Both great dives -- themocline at about 165 fsw and then only down to around mid 70s. MUCH better than what you guys had on the RBJ!

Doug

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by debersole  View Original Post
    Great report, Claudia. Good to see you and Don yesterday afternoon. We did the Hydro in the afternoon yesterday and the Lowrance this morning. Both great dives -- themocline at about 165 fsw and then only down to around mid 70s. MUCH better than what you guys had on the RBJ!

Doug

Hello Doug!

Yes it was great to see you, too. Hope your student did well although I could not imagine otherwise.

I typically dive dry at those depths because you never know what the temp is. Honestly, my hands were started to get very cold and I was looking forward shooting the bag and heading back into warmer waters.

Claudia

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Awesome report, dreamdive!

+ Reply to Thread