+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rbrether breakdown, how common is it?

RBW Member Chii is on a distinguished road Chii is on a distinguished road Chii's Avatar

Rbrether breakdown, how common is it?

After playing around with a couple ofe homebuilts i been thinking of buying a factory built rebrether. I been on and off for for a couple of years and have'nt made up my mind yet.

I rally like diving rebrethers and i am quite confident in the technology since all my homemeade machines kept me alive so far. What bothers me is the robustness and simplicity of oc diving that gets lost operating a ccr. I do all sorts of dives from 6m-60m some in very nasty conditions and some in tropical wather. What concerns me is diving in sub zero temratures and what affect this will have to electronics. My grandpa always said "only an idiot rely on things thar require batteries". He has a point since no one goes diving without the safety of oc baiout.

Is cold wether any concern or is this problem a non issue? Once in the water you are off the hook but leaving the rb in the car at -15? This happens almost every time i go diving in Norway.

I often travel a long way for diving sometimes up to 600km. To arrive with a malfunctioning unit is not an option.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: Rbrether breakdown, how common is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chii  View Original Post
    After playing around with a couple ofe homebuilts i been thinking of buying a factory built rebrether. I been on and off for for a couple of years and have'nt made up my mind yet.

I rally like diving rebrethers and i am quite confident in the technology since all my homemeade machines kept me alive so far. What bothers me is the robustness and simplicity of oc diving that gets lost operating a ccr. I do all sorts of dives from 6m-60m some in very nasty conditions and some in tropical wather. What concerns me is diving in sub zero temratures and what affect this will have to electronics. My grandpa always said "only an idiot rely on things thar require batteries". He has a point since no one goes diving without the safety of oc baiout.

Is cold wether any concern or is this problem a non issue? Once in the water you are off the hook but leaving the Rebreather in the car at -15? This happens almost every time i go diving in Norway.

I often travel a long way for diving sometimes up to 600km. To arrive with a malfunctioning unit is not an option.

Three ways of looknig at it:

1: Most relaible unit?

=MCCR KISS type with minimal electronics and all other bits you can repair in the field.

2: Easiest to fix or carry a spare head for?

Again KISS but also rEvo MCCR or Hybid

3: Easiest to dive arround a problem.

rEvo hibrid offeres the best multiple option for diving

I dived a Clasic Inspo and had 160hours (on a virtualy new unit) before it gave me greif. After this (and dispite servicing It caused me a few headaches. A spare head for the inspo Classic is expensive but you can do what i did an get a Hammerhead. Sadlyb the Hammerheads i had were much more unreliable than the standard Classic.

I now own a JJ MCCR and touch wood its been solid for two years and you could dive arround a hand set failure with just the HUD but its defo not cheep or easy to have a compleet spare head. Same with the Vision. Basicly relaible but mega expensive to carry a spare head and it wont let you dive arround problems.

As for the cold? i have no idea. What i do know its its a lot warmer diving CCR than it is diving OC

ATB

Mark

RBW Member izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze's Avatar
    JJ

I dive a JJ and have transported it in -25 degrees celsius surface temperature both before and after a dive. Ambient temperature at the dive site was about -2 degrees (we were in a mine) at the time with water temps around 3 degrees. Worked like a charm, not a single issue. I've seen a meg, a couple of inspirations, pelagians and a deep pursuit used in the same setting that worked fine as well.

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

One of the main issues to look for when diving in sub-zero temperatures is to make sure that the flapper valves on your BOV are not obstructed with ice allowing bypass. Of course, batteries don't like really cold weather, but using rechargeables that are topped off just prior to leaving the house helps quite a bit (that is of course subject to the manufacture's acceptance of rechargeable batteries). And lastly, your sorb has a certain amount of water content. You will need to possibly do a little longer pre-breath in order to melt your sorb!

Of course, it is best to keep you unit out of the freezing cold until you are ready to breath on it if possible! That said, I have done a number of dives in sub zero weather with positive results. You just need to be a little more diligent in your preparations and pre-dive sequence.

RBW Member Chii is on a distinguished road Chii is on a distinguished road Chii's Avatar

so sorb and sub zero is no problem? I have always been thaught that if the sorb freezes up you ned to discard it

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Chii  View Original Post

Is cold wether any concern or is this problem a non issue? Once in the water you are off the hook but leaving the Rebreather in the car at -15? This happens almost every time i go diving in Norway.

Do you drive a cab.?

Seriously, I have dived in the same conditions as you for almost 5 years and the cold has never been a problem! Normally I store both my rebreather and sorb out in the garage all year.

But what's important is that you make all the preparations at home before driving to the dive site. The only thing I do on the dive site is a simple positive / negative test,check one-way valves and a long prebreath, and stay on the loop until I start the dive. I have sometimes done prebreath on the surface, the water is after all warmer than the surrounding air.

What I'm actually more afraid of is hypothermia!

+ Reply to Thread