+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Howto mount GoPro

RBW Member kjetilpa is an unknown quantity at this point kjetilpa's Avatar
    Megalodon

Howto mount GoPro

I have now 30-40 dives with my GoPro Hero2. But how to mount this in order to acheive a good "view" and a smooth filming?

I have tried to mount it on the loop with rubberbands, but this caused much movement, and I always have to "se" in the direction I want to film. Not the best solution.

I have also tried to mount it on my head, with the same result as on the loop.

The best way (for me) is to hold it in my right hand, secured to the secondary display. This way, I can operate the camera and the display at the same time. And I do not have to see the same way as the camera.

Any comments on this - or other experiences?

This movie is from a wall-dive yesterday.
    Kippenes, Norway - With GoPro to 30 meters

Blacklisted Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate's Avatar
    1 of 6 on the shelf.

Re: Howto mount GoPro

I bought one a few weeks ago and have been playing with it ever since. The best 2 options so far have been.

1. Mounted on the front of my scooter with the curved sticky mount. Great for long dives or where the viz is very good. Not too jerky either.

2. Mounted on my umbilical torch with the handle bar mount. It points where my light goes, always has good lighting and again is not too jerky. Started taking a video at the weekend like this but the viz was so bad it wasn't worth the effort in the end. Easy to handle though.

I am sure there is a lot more but i like the simplicity of the above and it means i still have hands free for other things.

Regards
    Aaron.

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

I made a set of handles out of some Plexiglass. Glued the camera mount on. Looks a lot like a very small camera on a tray with handles. I have the video back and this allows fairly smooth panning while looking at what is being captured.

RBW Member kjetilpa is an unknown quantity at this point kjetilpa's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by bowzer  View Original Post
    I made a set of handles out of some Plexiglass. Glued the camera mount on. Looks a lot like a very small camera on a tray with handles. I have the video back and this allows fairly smooth panning while looking at what is being captured.
    Do you have a picture of this?

Kjetil

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by kjetilpa  View Original Post
    Do you have a picture of this?

Kjetil
    here is my daughter with it
    Attached Images

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

I mount mine strapped to my scooter.

RBW Member StickyDeco is an unknown quantity at this point StickyDeco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjetilpa  View Original Post
    . . . Any comments on this - or other experiences?. . .
    Might want to go here for some ideas: Equipment and Technology

Click on the .PDF version of the Paper titled "Successful Use of the GoPro Video Camera in the Overhead Environment."

Crazy Jumpin Jack

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

I use mine on a headband.

Here is a clip of some Tarpons hunting for food on my Saturday morning wake up dive:
    http://www.elaiva.com/video/Tarpons.mov

The GOPRO is on 1080p x 30 fps and wide FOV. I think the "medium" FOV setting works better though.
    Last edited by Jantje; 4th September 2012 at 01:56.

Bill Reals breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals is just really nice breals's Avatar
    rEvo II Hybrid

KISS Classic

This is how mine is mounted:

It's a salvaged handle from my old Gates housing with the backscatter red-flip filter on the GoPro Dive Housing. I was able to use it for the first time today. It worked well, not totally smooth, I still do get some jerkiness but awesome given how small it is. I might add some weight to it, my old heavier housing wasn't as jerky, I'm speculating because it was heavier.

Here is a video of it in action.

Last edited by breals; 4th September 2012 at 05:07. Reason: grammar

Urrrgh! Ukon is an unknown quantity at this point Ukon's Avatar
    rEvo II

KISS Classic

I've got mine mounted to my light head with the roll bar mount. I'm using a plastic lid bungied on the light head as a diffuser. I have become pretty steady with it while paying attention. This video was edited, so most faux pas regarding steadiness have been removed. It should also be noted the light was off.
    Don Ferrara
    The Wreck Of The Schooner Typo - YouTube
    ">
    The Wreck Of The Schooner Typo - YouTube
    " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast