+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: General rebreather question

RBW Member 156846 is an unknown quantity at this point 156846's Avatar

General rebreather question

Hi guys,

I`d have a more general beginner question. So sorry for posting this in such a highly specialized forum, but I couldn`t find enough info on the net.

I am a typ. holiday diver from Austria, living in Japan.
    I have AOW (-30m) + NITROX license with 70 dives.

I`ve read about rebreathers and was somehow fascinated by it`s efficiency, but I do not feel the need to go deeper than 30m. So my focus is on SCR/CCR diving itself, not on deep-diving.

I wanted to ask u gyus if there is a course which I can take with my level of experience to dive SCR/CCR on depths about 30m? Or do I have to do a tec course (padi`s tec 40 for example) first to be allowed to dive with rebreathers, even at 30m only?

From yr real life experience (I`ve read bout the theoretical probs w CCRs): are SCR/CCR safe enough to dive them in 30m or would u say that the risk of diving them is still to high compared to the gain of diving them at only 30m. I know that they aren`t really necesary at those dephts, still I would like to experience this kind of new diving feeling adn learn smthg new in diving.

Thank you for your info,
    Andre
    Last edited by 156846; 2nd September 2012 at 04:39.

RBW Member scubadoc is an unknown quantity at this point scubadoc's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Suggest you look at the PADI Recreational Rebreather course. There are 2 rebreathers which meet the PADI standards for the course. They do not allow any decompression diving. The course keeps you within the recreational limits. Check with your local PADI Shop for a TeckRec Instructor in your area. They can give more specific details.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Re: General rebreather question

I believe the initial CCR course from all agencies (Usually called Mod 1) is designed to limit your depth to around 30 - 40M. This course does not focus on deep diving of the CCR. It focuses on unit operation and building of core CCR operational skills. I believe you need to take an advanced Nitrox course in advance or in conjunction with the CCR course since you will be using 100% Oxygen in the CCR. These course are CCR unit specific so you should have an idea of what CCR you plan to utilize.

Hence you can contact any of the traditional technical agencies like ANDI, IANTD, TDI to determine whom is an instructor in your area with experience in the unit you choose.

John

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Or consider a Kiss Gem, uses your current OC BCD, tanks, reg, etc.
    I can switch between my Gem and OC in minutes. Training cost is cheaper as well if you intend to stay within recreational limits.

Just another thought.

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    I believe the initial CCR course from all agencies (Usually called Mod 1) is designed to limit your depth to around 30 - 40M. This course does not focus on deep diving of the CCR. It focuses on unit operation and building of core CCR operational skills. I believe you need to take an advanced Nitrox course in advance or in conjunction with the CCR course since you will be using 100% Oxygen in the CCR. These course are CCR unit specific so you should have an idea of what CCR you plan to utilize.

Hence you can contact any of the traditional technical agencies like ANDI, IANTD, TDI to determine whom is an instructor in your area with experience in the unit you choose.

John
    +1

thx guys for the infos.

i didn`t know, for example, that i should have a specific rebreather in mind before i take the course.
    i wanted to take the course first and then see if i like CCR diving or not.

on the other hand, how do i know about rebreathers if i even haven`t dived one?

from what i`ve read so far PADI sorted the rebreathers into type R (recreational = idiot proof) and type T (tec).
    until now only the poseidon MKVI is type R rated (if i got it correctly), so PADI will only teach on that one.

seems, that rebreather diving at PADI is still in it`s beginning level.
    maybe i should approach another association (IANTD)?
    maybe PADI ain`t good at that level?

Quote Originally Posted by scubadoc  View Original Post
    Suggest you look at the PADI Recreational Rebreather course.
    that was what i was basically looking for! thx.
    Last edited by 156846; 3rd September 2012 at 13:22.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by 156846  View Original Post
    thx guys for the infos.

i dindn`t know, for example, that i should have a specific rebreather in mind before i take the course.

i wanted t take the course adn then see if i like CCR diving or not.
    You can also ask about about a pool session to try several CCR's. Of course that depends upon if the shop or instructor has a number of units available. They are usually happy to conduct a several hour session one on one for a small fee. But you will need to do some searching in your area to see whom offer this and on what units. Or you will need to do several try dives with several different instructors because often they only have one unit available (as they are a little expensive to have sitting around collecting dust).

John

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by 156846  View Original Post
    Hi guys,

I`d have a more general beginner question. So sorry for posting this in such a highly specialized forum, but I couldn`t find enough info on the net.

I am a typ. holiday diver from Austria, living in Japan.
    I have AOW (-30m) + NITROX license with 70 dives.

I`ve read about rebreathers and was somehow fascinated by it`s efficiency, but I do not feel the need to go deeper than 30m. So my focus is on SCR/CCR diving itself, not on deep-diving.

I wanted to ask u gyus if there is a course which I can take with my level of experience to dive SCR/CCR on depths about 30m? Or do I have to do a tec course (padi`s tec 40 for example) first to be allowed to dive with rebreathers, even at 30m only?

From yr real life experience (I`ve read bout the theoretical probs w CCRs): are SCR/CCR safe enough to dive them in 30m or would u say that the risk of diving them is still to high compared to the gain of diving them at only 30m. I know that they aren`t really necesary at those dephts, still I would like to experience this kind of new diving feeling adn learn smthg new in diving.

Thank you for your info,
    Andre

Personaly id say avoid SCR as its all the danger with none of the flexibuility of CCR

I am not a fan of the overblown tecno fests that seem to have found a neish market in the "Recreational CCR" arena.

If your genuin ly interested in CCR then actualy dive one manualy and look to a Manual unit like the KISS, rEvo or Copis Meg

For shalow diving the flexabulity of the rEvo's scrubber design would best suit the frugal use of expensive lime.

30m training? TDI IANTD IRT it dosent relay matter which agency. Pick the one with the best instructor

ATB

MArk

RBW Member Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young's Avatar
    Super KISS

If you are in Japan contact masayoshi kondo his email is
    ccrdiver@live.jp
    he can help you try units

thx guys for all yr help w a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Personaly id say avoid SCR as its all the danger with none of the flexibuility of CCR

really? as far i understood it`s less risk as the CO2 hit risk is reduced on a SCR? no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Young  View Original Post
    If you are in Japan contact masayoshi kondo his email is
    ccrdiver@live.jp
    he can help you try units
    thx. menawhile i checked 2 prizeses for courses in japan and they r more than double as expensive here as in thai/phillippines/europe. that`s why i will do a course on my next vacation in 3 months.
    Last edited by 156846; 12th September 2012 at 02:01.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast