+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hi

RBW Member comaboy is an unknown quantity at this point comaboy's Avatar

hi

greetings,
    I have been diving since 1993 and have in excess of 200 dives under my belt (exact number is unknown as dive log got lost)

I have open water and am looking at buying some gear and getting advanced open water this southern hemisphere summer.

I hate the word disabled and any of its more politically correct varients but I do have issues getting out of the water because of a motorcycle accident that saw me pile head first into a tree 2 years ago. I fractured 3 cervical, 4 thoracic and 2 lumber spine, but by some mirical I still retain the use of my legs.

anyhow, just thought I would join up and find out a bit about rebreathers. How do they compare with the traditional rig for rec diving? Are they really the 'yellow box of death' that I have heard my mates talking about? How much maintenance is required?

Cheers

CB

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Re: hi

Quote Originally Posted by comaboy  View Original Post
    greetings,
    I have been diving since 1993 and have in excess of 200 dives under my belt (exact number is unknown as dive log got lost)

I have open water and am looking at buying some gear and getting advanced open water this southern hemisphere summer.

I hate the word disabled and any of its more politically correct varients but I do have issues getting out of the water because of a motorcycle accident that saw me pile head first into a tree 2 years ago. I fractured 3 cervical, 4 thoracic and 2 lumber spine, but by some mirical I still retain the use of my legs.

anyhow, just thought I would join up and find out a bit about rebreathers. How do they compare with the traditional rig for rec diving? Are they really the 'yellow box of death' that I have heard my mates talking about? How much maintenance is required?

Cheers

CB

Ouch! Hence the username eh? Was it a crotch rocket or a chrome horse?

Not sure why 'maintenance' is a term so often debated by non CCR divers.

The answer is not that much, but we often do more than we need to.

Heck, if you just spent $10k on a toy you're going to play with it aren't you?

No, they are not boxes of death, but yes people die on them. Usually medical conditions, diving a unit with a known problem etc. A lot safer than a motorbike, thats for sure

RBW Member EricD is an unknown quantity at this point EricD's Avatar
    rEvo III

KISS Classic

Re: hi

Quote Originally Posted by comaboy  View Original Post
    greetings,

Cheers

CB
    Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear about the motorcycle accident. I ride as well and my concern is with the other drivers on the road here in the States, as I cannot control them and they are usually more concerned with everything else other than driving.

Regarding rebreathers, I agree with Chris. They are not necessarily more unsafe than open circuit; the biggest difference, IMO, is that they will require the diver pay more attention to what they are doing than is required on an open circuit rig. Maintenance will vary from unit to unit, though there is more between dive maintenance than open circuit. Rebreathers will solve some problems, mainly needed breathing gas concerns, but introduce other things to be mindful of - scrubber packing, time on scrubber, PPO2 settings and monitoring, and a few others which will all be covered in your Mod 1 course. Good luck on deciding which unit to choose (many good ones out there) and whether to cross over, or not.

+ Reply to Thread